understanding airspace on a sectional chart

Newpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Newpilot
Could anyone explain?

On the Sectional chart legend under, Airport traffic service and airspace information, could anyone explain which one is class G? I see 4 that are class E with only one magenta shaded that says class G underneath? How can I determine class G airspace?

Last edited:
Class G is underneath E. Wherever you see E (700AGL or 1200AGL shaded or unshaded areas) the G airspace is below that - surface to the overlying E.

Could anyone explain?

On the Sectional chart legend under, Airport traffic service and airspace information, could anyone explain which one is class G? I see 4 that are class E with only one magenta shaded that says class G underneath? How can I determine class G airspace?
Airspace grows up from the ground or falls from heaven. Class E falls to the surface when a dashed magenta line is depicted. 700 feet AGL where a magenta shading is depicted around airports or collections of airports with instrument approaches. The blue shading falls to 1200 feet AGL (just out side the magenta shading) and a blue zipper is shown when Class E is other than above.

Last edited:
G = Ground
Might help you remember

What are you using for your ground school training? This topic is covered very well in most I’ve seen, whether books, videos, online, or live.

In simplest terms, Class G is airspace that “has not been designated as Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E airspace.” That’s actually the definition from the AIM. Beyond that, it’s hard to know what your specific difficulty is.

Last edited:
Midlifeflyer pretty much gave the answer. Unless controlled airspace has been designated (Classes A-E), the airspace is uncontrolled (G). In the lower 48, there's precioius little uncontrolled airspace above 1200' AGL (to the point that they don't chart it anymore, it's just assumed to be there).

The general rules is that the "continental control area" always put anything above 14,500 (not coincidentally, this is the height of Mt. Whitney, the tallest in the lower 48) is controlled airspace. Then anything that is within 4 miles of an airway, goes down to 1200 and this so overlaps in much of the US, that it encompasses everything. Then around airports that have approaches the class E drops to 700'. If they meet some other requirements (notably weather reporting), it drops to the ground. This used to be referred to as a "control zone" but now is called "surface area of controlled airspace designated for an airport" (isn't that easy). If more advanced ATC services are determined to be necessary, class D, C or B airspace is established.

Above 18,000' is class A (again not charted because it is everywhere in the lower 48).

What are you using for your ground school training? This topic is covered very well in most I’ve seen, whether books, videos, online, or live.

In simplest terms, Class G is airspace that “has not been designated as Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E airspace.” That’s actually the definition from the AIM. Beyond that, it’s hard to know what your specific difficulty is.
he has a marking question on the sectional. The answer isn’t clear in looking at the chart compared to the legend. Coming back to flying I did several courses & most describe G as “everything else.” So his confusion is a reasonable question.

he has a marking question on the sectional. The answer isn’t clear in looking at the chart compared to the legend. Coming back to flying I did several courses & most describe G as “everything else.” So his confusion is a reasonable question.
I never said it was unreasonable, just one that would be answered in training. And asked for specifics. But the bottom line is that the Sectional legend shows the markings for B, C, D, E, etc. So it still comes down to where it's not any of those. There are definitely areas where the interrelationship is complex and one may even have to apply the overlapping airspace rule, but "everything else" when below 18,000" is still the basic concept. Do you have an example of lack of clarity (as opposed to lack of understanding)?

1709994972990.png

That's a good definition I have not yet heard. Thanks!

I never said it was unreasonable, just one that would be answered in training. And asked for specifics. But the bottom line is that the Sectional legend shows the markings for B, C, D, E, etc. So it still comes down to where it's not any of those. There are definitely areas where the interrelationship is complex and one may even have to apply the overlapping airspace rule, but "everything else" when below 18,000" is still the basic concept. Do you have an example of lack of clarity (as opposed to lack of understanding)?

View attachment 126450
I am going to the ATP flight school and start April 15th. There is alot of Guided independent study before my start date so I'm on my own until then. They provided alot of study material, and I purchased the ASA PPL test prep book and use the Sportys study buddy App. I also reference many Youtube videos. I was confused by the legend on the sectional chart. All of the info given in this forum helped alot thank you for the assistance.

Could anyone explain?

1710779892560.pngThis picture in Alaska might help you get perspective. The areas ‘inside’ of the Blue vignette are Class G from surface to 14,500 MSL.

Everything is Class G, unless it is something else.

Don't look for Class G, look for Class E, D, C, and B. If it isn't any of those, it's G.

Back