Uh Oh! The airlines again...

Acrodustertoo

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Buford T. Justice
They are now saying that our pilots are suicidal and depressed! Would like to hear from our big iron friends about this.

Here is a quote from the story:
Some pilots reported having depression symptoms "nearly every day." Photo: Getty Images

Hundreds of commercial airline pilots worldwide may be flying with untreated depression because they fear being grounded or losing their jobs, a new survey suggests.

The anonymous survey of about 1,850 pilots from more than 50 countries found that 14 percent of pilots who had worked within the past week had symptoms of depression. Four percent of pilots reported having suicidal thoughts within the past two weeks.

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/one-ei...-clinically-depressed-010945640--finance.html

How many of the pilots interviewed for this article were employed by Spirit Wings? :rolleyes:

This shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Pilots are people too. I'd have to see the comparison of % of pilots that are depressed vs the general population for it to be worth anything.

This shouldn't be a shock to anyone. Pilots are people too. I'd have to see the comparison of % of pilots that are depressed vs the general population for it to be worth anything.
What the article doesn't mention is how many pilots LOVE their jobs and live a fulfilling life.

Of course Airline guys are stressed a lot have a commute to worry about, your schedule is erratic up at 4am one day working late the next. You have a checkride and medical every 6mo/year. You have the whole underlying stress of an industry based on luck/timing. For every guy who hit the majors before 30 and is now captain living in base working his own schedule theres probably 5 guys like my dad who left the military 25+years ago for a major then bankruptcy, mergers,9/11 and a period of time in his 40s making 1500 a month at a regional and now finally in his 60s hitting captain at a major for the first time and sitting reserve on a 6 hour commute.

Doesn't surprise me theres a good percentage that are depressed. Its the one thing that worries me about going into the airlines I've seen people get the hose every step of the way then theres people like my uncle whos worked at one airline been captain for 15+ years and upgrading to the 777 because he can now hold the schedule he wants and still has 10 years left in his career.

Wow. Are you one of them? Seems so by some of your posts.
It's a job Greg. End of story, do I enjoy it at times, sure. Hate it at times too, but where you work and your work rules are vastly different than where I work and our work rules. Judging by the number of mainline guys who are absolutely oblivious to what life is like at a regional, I don't expect you to understand the difference.

Like I've said before, there is a difference between being realistic and negative on life and work

What the article doesn't mention is how many pilots LOVE their jobs and live a fulfilling life.
This wouldn't be the best attention grabbing headline though

"Pilots Love Their Job and Live A Very Fulfilling Existence!"

"I haven't flown since 9/11, if I have to go to Atlanta for work I drive and bring back gas receipts and get reimbursed. It's cheaper and safer."

83342-dave-mustaine-facepalm.gif

Suicidal does not equate to homicidal. That Germanwings co-pilot was a special kind of psycho.

From the article - "'I hope that current discussions after the Germanwings accident has helped pilots to seek help more openly,' Vuorio said by email."

My guess is the opposite is true. Now pilots have to be extra careful because everyone's going to assume that the slightest tear or expression of displeasure in their life could mean they are unstable and willing to take down a plane full of people.

Believe it or not, I have walked in those shoes. I understand the issues and I definitely understand the difference.

Me too, 24 years at ASA, now ExpressJet, and based in ATL. Wasn't as great as the majors but wasn't bad after I upgraded to Capt., after 1 year reserve and living in a crash pad for a year, that is. Never thought I'd ever fly a jet but sure enough flew the CRJ 200/700/900 for about 13-14 years. I commuted the entire time but it wasn't bad from MGM and/or BHM to ATL, plus could drive it in 2 1/2 hours. Had it's suck moment like any job but I don't regret it at all.

Suicidal does not equate to homicidal.

Exactly.

Should be able to go talk to a headshrinker if you had a bad day, week, divorce, house robbed of everything you owned, mom or dad died, whatever... and not have to fear losing your job or having everyone think you are going to go off the deep end.

I would like to know the same symptoms they are using on wallstreet, car salesmen, appliance salesmen? any guesses?

Me too, 24 years at ASA, now ExpressJet, and based in ATL. Wasn't as great as the majors but wasn't bad after I upgraded to Capt., after 1 year reserve and living in a crash pad for a year, that is. Never thought I'd ever fly a jet but sure enough flew the CRJ 200/700/900 for about 13-14 years. I commuted the entire time but it wasn't bad from MGM and/or BHM to ATL, plus could drive it in 2 1/2 hours. Had it's suck moment like any job but I don't regret it at all.

How's the impending parking of airplanes going to effect ASA?

wait until the job pays RyanAir/NAI wages domestically in group III/IV equipment. That will be both a proverbial and literal depression for all involved. But I mean, incomes are what you make of it amma' right? :rolleyes:

How's the impending parking of airplanes going to effect ASA?

I'm retired now and glad I'm not there now. From what I read it doesn't look good for the XJT side, and a little hope for the ASA side at best. SkyWest appears to be slowly winding them down while new jets and expansion go to the SkyWest side. It's a dirty business as you know KS. ASA used to be a decent place.

I'm retired now and glad I'm not there now. From what I read it doesn't look good for the XJT side, and a little hope for the ASA side at best. SkyWest appears to be slowly winding them down while new jets and expansion go to the SkyWest side. It's a dirty business as you know KS. ASA used to be a decent place.

Yeah, I remember when I was in college, ASA was the place to go. I just saw the announcement this week about them planning to park all the ASA 200s by Q3 2017, it's a shame for those guys. Good thing your out of there

Most people get depressed at least once during the week.

Wow.... professional pilots that have depression I truly feel for.
For those of you who don't understand the stress with living 1/2 your life in a hotel... well... not much I can help you with.

Wow.... professional pilots that have depression I truly feel for.
For those of you who don't understand the stress with living 1/2 your life in a hotel... well... not much I can help you with.
I spent fifteen years living in hotels, boats, ships, oil rigs, oil,platforms and everything in between. It takes its toll on you and there is no way to describe it, I drank my weight in beer and booze for most of those years. It is a crummy way to live a life, especially when you have a family back at home.

Fewer than are depressed, I would bet money on that.
My father, uncle and fathers best friend all are career pilots. Uncle and other guy are airline transports, father is a freight pilot. All of them love the job and wouldnt trade it for anything. This is Cherry picked.

There was a very recent study that came out in Norway on the airline pilots, and it was worrying.
It wasn't about suicidal tendencies, or any of that. It was about...(from memory and in my own words)

Overwork, being pushed into flying when there was not enough recuperation times, flying tired.

Fear of reporting what they saw as security issues. Which included fear of reprisals, being seen as not being a team player.

Worry that the companies supervisors were not security minded over profit. I believe this included maintenance, and reporting and repairing of outstanding issues.

It was mentioned the competition with the cheaper airlines and their business model being a factor.

Which is why this is one of the few occupations where I support unions.

Years ago I flew for a company and the pilots wanted to go union. The normal airline unions would not respond.

Another union did respond and a meeting was set up. The union representative showed up, explained how they work, then explained how he thought that since this was a small company that the union would not make enough money from us. He thanked us for our interest and left.

My thought was that unions really cares about the workers, not, cares for money, yes.

I don't remember the full name, it was teamsters something or something teamsters.

I would like to know the same symptoms they are using on wallstreet, car salesmen, appliance salesmen? any guesses?

Of course, appliance salesmen don't usually take a lot of folk with them if they are lethargic or not "on their game".

I'm not talking about intentional ditching a plane, I mean the danger of this is that they are not sharp, not focused on flying if they are in that mind state.

Worst case with a car salesman, you might get a good deal on a car if he is off his game.

Which is why this is one of the few occupations where I support unions.

I support unions in general for most occupations if not all.

When unions work as they should, they are a huge added value in many ways. Many think it just means lazy workers get overpaid, etc. it's an effective propaganda method for the ones that don't want workers to have a say. In reality it most often is also about working conditions, safety, best practices, and doing good work. In many instances it is also about public safety.

As a kid I read Mark Twains "Life on the Mississippi" and read about how difficult it was to learn to "read the river" skills (similar to a pilot, in fact also called a pilot!) and memorizing every inch of the Mississippi River...BUT...though much of the river stayed roughly the same, some parts could change very quickly, the status of the river, flow, sunken snags, horseshoe bends that finally cut through straight, or even, according to Twain it was not unheard of for a farmer to put a boulder somewhere and start rerouting the river towards his farm and away from the neighbors.

So after a while they formed a union. Since riverboat pilots were mostly contractual, the union wanted their members to be the best, safest, and expected compensation for that. They had lock boxes along the route where another Union member that had been that way (up or down river) wrote notes on status, changes, etc. so it didn't take long for the riverboat owners to think it was worth hiring these Union guys as they had the best chance of not sinking or stranding their river boats. They didn't initiate their own version I guess because it would mean cooperating with competitors.

Sorry for the long post, I just kinda liked the story. It was interesting. Twain also fealt after his time as a trainee river boat pilot that he could never quite look at a river just romantically, he would be seeing the flow, snags just under the surface, etc. etc. (it sort of ruined his innocence in a way).

. . . I support unions in general for most occupations if not all.

When unions work as they should, they are a huge added value in many ways. Many think it just means lazy workers get overpaid, etc. it's an effective propaganda method for the ones that don't want workers to have a say. In reality it most often is also about working conditions, safety, best practices, and doing good work. In many instances it is also about public safety . . .

Unfortunately, unions in most industries never seem to "work as they should". The union leaders are always just looking out for the union, then the members, then the company (if at all). The lazy workers DO get the protections of the union, which makes it a PITA to get rid of dead weight. There is another great way to enforce better working conditions, safety, etc., it's called finding another job. The safety aspects are generally covered under OSHA, so most of that burden is removed from unions. Doing good work is not limited to union labor, and generally-speaking, union labor is incredibly inefficient due to the numerous constraints put on employers. ex: An office employee can't move their own file cabinet from one side of the office to the other without calling for union help, or a machinist that works on one machine can't be moved over to another department when work flow demands it.

I DO believe unions served an important role during the industrial revolution by laying the groundwork for labor laws. However, in most industries, they serve no purpose other than to leech off of the union members' paychecks. The pilot unions are probably one of the unions that still needs to exist. United Auto Workers, Government unions, etc. . . . not so much.

Back