uAvionix AV-30-C AoA calibration

It's in the manual. It is very simple but you need to be on level ground and its best to do it in a hangar or on a 0 wind day.
I seem to recall following the manual, but admittedly I don't think I was very deliberate at the time.

I don't "rotate", per se, nor start with full aft stick

Sure you do. You said you raise the nosewheel clear of the runway. That is rotation. How much is just a matter of degree (pun intended).

Honestly that source is ridiculous. Some people over complicate everything. And how about this gem: "imagine that just after liftoff, a gust of wind comes along and robs you of a few knots of airspeed. This will cause the airplane to settle back onto the runway."

Honestly that source is ridiculous. Some people over complicate everything. And how about this gem: "imagine that just after liftoff, a gust of wind comes along and robs you of a few knots of airspeed. This will cause the airplane to settle back onto the runway."
Lol. Well, I like the source. I run into it often on a variety of things I research. A very smart person who has a nice style, IMO. YMMV. The quote of yours makes more sense if you imagine he's assuming a zero-wind takeoff hit by a gust from behind, doesn't it? I think we should give the author some space — he makes some pretty boring mathematics easier to swallow. For free, too. He also covers much more than takeoff physics.

Once you are in the air, you move with the air. If the wind speed or direction changes, your airspeed does not change. Your movement relative to the ground changes. You will not "lose a few knots of airspeed and settle back on the runway" in a tailwind gust. You will just move down the runway faster. Before you take off, whole different story, of course.

Last edited:
You will not "lose a few knots of airspeed" in a tailwind gust.
In a steady-state tailwind you will not. In a gust you will, at least briefly, since you can't accelerate instantaneously as the gust front passes. Think of wind shear or transitioning through a microburst and why they can be problematic.

Nauga,
and a kick in the airmass

In a steady-state tailwind you will not. In a gust you will, since you can't accelerate instantaneously as the gust front passes. Think of wind shear or transitioning through a microburst and why they can be problematic.

Nauga,

Beat me to it.

In a steady-state tailwind you will not. In a gust you will, at least briefly, since you can't accelerate instantaneously as the gust front passes. Think of wind shear or transitioning through a microburst and why they can be problematic.

Nauga,

Exactly, This is why we have the rule of thumb to increase approach speeds buy 1/2 the gust factor.

Back