Two Pilot Crew - Logging Night Landings

Can both PIC and SIC log a night landing regardless of who is flying?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Daniel Kelly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
ilive2fly
Greetings,

I fly in a two pilot crew. My Co-pilot says that both pilots can log night landings on every leg for night currency regardless of who actually does the landing.

It only seems legal that whoever is flying the plane “sole manipulator” can log landings for night currency.

I’ve done some searches with not much luck. Does anyone have any guidance on this?

Respectfully…

Last edited:
Could you point me to a “relevant reg” regarding two separate pilots logging the same landing for currency….I’m having trouble locating them. That’s why I came here for advice, not to visit with another rude know it all. I have an SIC for that.
?

Just the basic landing currency rules. 61.57(a) for landings, 61.57(b) for night landings. In both cases, one of the requirements is: "The person acted as the sole manipulator of the flight controls;" kinda hard for two people to be the "sole manipulator."

Could you point me to a “relevant reg” regarding two separate pilots logging the same landing for currency….I’m having trouble locating them. That’s why I came here for advice, not to visit with another rude know it all. I have an SIC for that.
See, that's your problem, not his. A 135 captain ought to know. Don't you do flight reviews, didn't your instructors teach you the night currency requirements? Don't know how to use Google? You were supposed to know those regs for at least two checkrides...
Your SIC sounds like a fool, but a captain ought to be smarter than the SIC.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=14+cfr+night+currency

https://nbaa.org/aircraft-operation...57-recent-flight-experience-pilot-in-command/

Last edited:
See, that's your problem, not his. A 135 captain ought to know. Don't you do flight reviews, didn't your instructors teach you the night currency requirements? Don't know how to use Google? You were supposed to know those regs for at least two checkrides...
Your SIC sounds like a fool, but a captain ought to be smarter than the SIC.

https://lmgtfy.app/?q=14+cfr+night+currency

https://nbaa.org/aircraft-operation...57-recent-flight-experience-pilot-in-command/
I know. It's hard not to be a bit snarky with this one. I really don't even understand how the SIC is interpreting "sole manipulator." After all, even CFIs can't log their students' landings for currency. And the non-flying pilot in a 2-pilot crew can't even log an IAP, let alone a landing.

just playing devil's advocate here.....
the required crew member isn't just sitting on his hands most likely.....is very likely manipulating controls....perhaps lower flaps, gear, maybe more....
Could that be what this SIC guy is thinking?

edit:
oops...looks like Capt Thorpe and I were thinking the same and typing at the same time.....
except I would phrase that in such cases there are not any sole manipulators

Amazing resources! Thank you for sharing these!
Glad I cold help.

Personally I think the second one - logging the approach with a 2-pilot required crew - is silly. An SIC in a two pilot required crew is doing at least as much as a CFI giving an IPC to an experienced ATP (the CFI is deemed to have also "performed" a trainee's approach in actual for currency purposes) and it's really the whole reason for there to be an SIC in a 135 IFR passenger operation to begin with. But it's there and hasn't been revisited AFAIK.

just playing devil's advocate here.....
the required crew member isn't just sitting on his hands most likely.....is very likely manipulating controls....perhaps lower flaps, gear, maybe more....
Could that be what this SIC guy is thinking?

edit:
oops...looks like Capt Thorpe and I were thinking the same and typing at the same time.....
except I would phrase that in such cases there are not any sole manipulators
Booo! You missed it. "Sole" manipulator.
Rigid_Soles_d28941e9-d513-4a87-8290-50b80cfd4e8d.jpg

You don't get any credit for being the sole manipulator of the pilot in command here.

?

Just the basic landing currency rules. 61.57(a) for landings, 61.57(b) for night landings. In both cases, one of the requirements is: "The person acted as the sole manipulator of the flight controls;" kinda hard for two people to be the "sole manipulator."

No problem. One pilot logs the first bounce and the second pilot takes the controls and logs the second bounce.

Greetings,

I fly in a two pilot crew. My Co-pilot says that both pilots can log night landings on every leg for night currency regardless of who actually does the landing.

It only seems legal that whoever is flying the plane “sole manipulator” can log landings for night currency.

I’ve done some searches with not much luck. Does anyone have any guidance on this?

Respectfully…

You already knew the answer. Unless you can find some creative way to argue that two people can be "sole manipulator", I see no way for both pilots to log.

Back