Two months no fly

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
I was In between jobs and put flying on hold. Now that I have a job again I need to get Airborn asap. Should I grab a CFI and go flying? I haven't been flying in two months. I don't think I need one. Just want comments good or bad.

I was In between jobs and put flying on hold. Now that I have a job again I need to get Airborn asap. Should I grab a CFI and go flying? I haven't been flying in two months. I don't think I need one. Just want comments good or bad.

Just 2 months???

No prob....

Rent a plane and enjoy...

Kinda like riding a bike...;)

Not that big of a deal, take your favorite CFI with you for a hour if it makes you feel better.

Just a personal comfort thing IMHO

I got my PPL then racked up 150 hours over the next year with not more then a three week period on the ground...then I had a three month lul due to crazy work scheduled.

Not gonna lie...sat for a moment at the departure end of the runway and thought "hope I remember how to do this!"

Was just like riding a bike...

All depends on your comfort level.

I went three months, waiting for my plane's annual. I was nervous, but everything came back after a few touch and goes. Wouldn't hurt to have an instructor along if you want to brush up on technique.

I'd grab a local CFI if you feel rusty. When I moved to San Diego the flying club mandated that I get checked out with an instructor even though my flying was current. However learning San Diego airspace was new to me so no big deal. Did same for my recent BFR since I wanted to fly to SBA with coastal VFR route through LAX. No biggie just fly the 323 radial past the bridge and lax then onto SBA.

I soloed in 1960, went to the Pribilof Islands for a year, then back to Seattle and got my ticket in 1962. Two months is not the end of the world.

Bob Gardner

If you don't feel comfy, there is nothing wrong with flying a few laps with an instructor.

But, it gets a lot easier to do this than when you were a student pilot. Just use your checklist, and perhaps go up the first time in easy conditions.

I didn't fly for 4 months, and it was no sweat to get back in the air. Review all your speeds and checklists and you should be good. A CFI is never a bad idea though, especially if you really dont feel comfortable.

I haven't flown in 6 months, and probably won't for another 3-4 months. If you aren't comfortable, nothing wrong with going with a CFI. If you are going to spend the money, you could always make it a BFR, even if you aren't due for one.

Take off, go to the practice area. If you feel comfortable, do a good bit of slow flight at MCA, then some power off stalls. That will get your feel back for landing, etc., then go have fun.

If you feel like it, do some 360 turns and some other PTS maneuvers, it will get you up to speed quicker.

If in doubt, an instructor for one hour is pretty cheap insurance.

Thank you for all the suggestion's. I think I will be fine flying without an instructor.
I think I will just go out to the practice area and then some pattern work for an hour.

Thank you for all the suggestion's. I think I will be fine flying without an instructor.
I think I will just go out to the practice area and then some pattern work for an hour.
You need 3 T/O & LDGs before you can carry any passengers. It will be good practice to go up & enjoy some air/pattern work by yourself.

Congrats on the new job. More to be gained from brushing off the rust solo imo. Go get some celebratory air solo you'll love it.

I have a no fly for 30 days no passengers on next flight rule for myself.

Phoenix thanks for the Congrats. In between jobs really put a cramp in my flying. I was actually out of work for 5 weeks. It sucked!

It was put food on the table or fly. I would stave myself to go fly. :yes:

Add a little something new if you are from the midwest ask about mountain flying, work on Xwind landings try a real dark night. Get the most of your 1 hr instruction not just more of what you already know

Two months shouldn't present a problem,if your nervous and doubting your abilities,an hour with a CFI would probably put all your doubts to rest.

I did 5 months one time. Was nervous but it came back really fast.

Good luck

Bro, I went 13 years between flights. Had 130 on the books when I stopped flying. With my CFI, he never once touched anything except for messing with the 430 to show my all the neat stuff. When I last had flown, GPS was ungodly expensive in GA.

Strap that aero plane on and go fly.

Back