Turns out getting and staying married is good for you...

Best thing I ever did, by far.

At one point, my wife looked at the part of her patient population who were older than 90, still healthy and independent. Turns out they were all chilldless, never married educated females. Nuns, teachers, bookkeepers.
Being married is great for men.

At one point, my wife looked at the part of her patient population who were older than 90, still healthy and independent. Turns out they were all chilldless, never married educated females. Nuns, teachers, bookkeepers.

Seems that many married women (and men) die shortly after their spouses do... as they want it to be.

Were any of them at all happy? The folks I've met who fit that particular demographic have been anything but.

Makes sense to me.

'Course, the oldest person I know is my wife's grandmother, ho turns 108 next month. She was married for many years, until Celia's grand-dad passed. She never remarried.

Turns out getting and staying married is good for you... Or that divorce is really really bad for you. Don't doubt marriage is better for you but the divorce industrial complex and womyns lib make it a dangerous undertaking for young men.

Doing stuff you enjoy will help you live longer. That may or may not including a ball & chain.

I'm pretty sure if I hadn't been happily married (to the same woman) for almost 40 years I probably would have been killed by a jealous husband or boyfriend by now. So marriage has been good for me in that way. But not as good as the other advantages I have because of it.

Were any of them at all happy? The folks I've met who fit that particular demographic have been anything but.

The ones who did it by choice are. You have to remember that 70-80 years ago the alternative of career+family only existed if you were born into money (or married into it).

I have a cousin who is still like that. Appeals court judge in her 50s, 'never met someone worth slowing down for' as she puts it.

I'm just 8 years in, but they have by far been the best years of my life. I can't imagine how utterly sh*tty life would be without my other half. Glad she chose me.

Living in Florida, almost everybody seems like they're old.

We have MANY couples in our church that at least one spouse is over ninety. We don't, to my knowledge, have a single, lifelong single over 90.

Just saying.

Looking good for me! :rofl:

First marriage was hell on earth, the divorce was 10 times worse. Been remarried for 25 years last month. Best thing that every happened to my sorry ass. The woman is a saint, my best friend, great business partner, and great in bed! :yesnod: :eek:

:lol:

So with marriage you get longevity,but if your not happy in that marriage ,you get to spend more years in misery. Makes complete sense to me.

So with marriage you get longevity,but if your not happy in that marriage ,you get to spend more years in misery. Makes complete sense to me.

I think marriage should be like athletic contracts. 2-3 years and renegotiate based on performance, or you become a free agent. Negotiations to include who does dishes, cleans, laundry, etc. Money issues put on the table and adhered to during the contract. Extentions can be made if performace goals are met. :dunno:

Don't let my wife see this! She will think we can renegotiate! :eek:

Last edited:
I think marriage should be like athletic contracts. 2-3 years and renegotiate based on performance, or you become a free agent. Negotiations to include who does dishes, cleans, laundry, etc. Money issues put on the table and adhered to during the contract. Extentions can be made if performace goals are met. :dunno:

Don't let my wife see this! She will think we can renegotiate! :eek:

Yeah, but realize that you might not have the same value as you did years ago, she knows too much now.

I dunno...my wife doesn't like airplanes, but I'm still married to her....must be some reason.

Are you? You seem like a jolly fellow. :lol:

Oh goodness yes, but not because I'm married. I carry a mutation in the promoter of the serotonin uptake inhibitor promoter that renders me preternaturally happy. Ask anyone who knows me.

That said I am quite satisfied in my 23 year marriage.

First marriage and heading toward our 28th year. I think the main reason is that we waited a few years to have kids. Our oldest is 16 and since the minute she was born I haven't had one bad day.

I read the advice columns almost every day, people writing in about their problems. It's amazing how many letters start with "I live with the father of my children..."

Amongst our friends who seem to have a tendency toward dramatic and problematic relationships, we're the high school sweethearts who married (quite a while after high school but we dated most of that time, but not all), and get along great.

We've had conversations wondering why some of our friends choose never ending drama and arguments, and have decided they must like it that way, even if they won't admit it.

She made me buy an airplane. What's not to like?

Amongst our friends who seem to have a tendency toward dramatic and problematic relationships, we're the high school sweethearts who married (quite a while after high school but we dated most of that time, but not all), and get along great.

We've had conversations wondering why some of our friends choose never ending drama and arguments, and have decided they must like it that way, even if they won't admit it.

She made me buy an airplane. What's not to like?

I married my high school sweetheart, too. Only girl I ever dated. When you hit the jackpot the first time, why keep looking? We were in college when we got married, but we were still young (I was 21, she was 19). The only problem with marrying your high school sweetheart is that she knows every dumb thing you did then, and, as you know, wives never forget anything. :D

42 years tomorrow. Would have done less time for murder. :wink2:

OK, old joke. Actually one of my better decisions.:yes:

Twenty eight years on first marriage. The reason it has lasted this long is that I have only been home for fourteen of those years.
You know she's a keeper when she says "we need a faster plane".

Just celebrated our first anniversary... I'm 40, she's 30, took me a long time to find the right one, but I'm very glad I did!

Back