turkey day 2016

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
I'm taking a break from deep frying the bird this year and trying this recipe instead. The stock is in the pot, the skin has been crisped, the turkey is in the brine.

Whatcha got cookin?

Left yesterday morning to spend the week with some family, got an hour out of town and the wife's minivan started acting up. Turned around and headed back home. Good thing we turned around when we did. The tie rods are just shot. We decided today that we will sell that emasculation machine.
So we went to the store and got a six pound prime rib. She will make homemade stuffing and candied yams. I will concentrate on the rib roast. Trying yo make the best of it.
I am self medicating on some Red Lodge Scittish Ale right now.

I'm taking a break from deep frying the bird this year and trying this recipe instead. The stock is in the pot, the skin has been crisped, the turkey is in the brine.

Whatcha got cookin?
Looks like a great recipe. I brine all my birds because it works. Let us know how it turns out.
Have a happy thanksgiving!

We're going to the Petroleum Club. No cooking and no cleaning ;)

One of the crappy things about natural gas processing is that we don't stop for holidays. So no turkey day for me. The good thing about it is that working on turkey day pays double, well for 8 hours of it anyway.

I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your time with family. I'll be busy turning gas into propane for your turkey fryers, butane to light them, methane for your stoves and heaters, and liquid hydrocarbons to fuel your trip to grandmas.

One of the crappy things about natural gas processing is that we don't stop for holidays. So no turkey day for me. The good thing about it is that working on turkey day pays double, well for 8 hours of it anyway.

I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy your time with family. I'll be busy turning gas into propane for your turkey fryers, butane to light them, methane for your stoves and heaters, and liquid hydrocarbons to fuel your trip to grandmas.
Thank you for the sacrifice. When I worked the oil in the GOM, they couldn't pay me enough to work a Holliday. Never once had to in over five years. I will always be thankful for that. Hope your family keeps the dinner warm for you and have a safe day.

We are headed across town to see family... they're doing the bird and a bunch of other stuff, we're doing side dishes.

The other side of the family we were talking about going up there on the weekend but I broke the bad news that with the re-ride for me coming up Wednesday and a CFI who likes to tailor lesson plans to "however you're doing" and our first meet up in many days, on Friday... my weekend could be open or it could be "When did you forget how to do this stuff? Let's work on it over the weekend..."

Especially with the always annoying threat of poor weather now that this has dragged on into November.

So... we'll see what Friday feels like and see what the weather guessers say about the next few days. Wife says she's headed up there with or without me on Saturday... and that's fine. Too much money and time poured into this to not give this final push and do this right.

I'll be much less of a stress puppy and a lot more fun to be around if I can earn this new piece of white paper that'll be replaced by green plastic shortly thereafter. And I'll carve out some time to go celebrate with family with a smile on my face instead of being lost in thoughts of "How the hell would I teach... THAT?!"...

Super thankful for it all this year. But need to get this done and back to the office a bit more in 2017! And hopefully to the airport more than usual too, teaching a bit...

Also still have the single engine add on rides to do after the initial. It ain't anywhere near "over" yet, but just trying to survive it one step at a time.

Super Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Took a boating vacation for this Thanksgiving boat broke down,not going to let it ruin the mood. Took a car to a romantic inn ,going to enjoy a nice dinner and a few bourbons ,with the wife. Be back flying Saturday.

Hey I'm off too SkyDoggy. Oh yeh, I'm retired. Carry on. :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy thanksgiving to you as well and don't forget to
THANKSGIVING%20turkey%20with%20eat%20more%20pork%20sign.jpg

Turkey and Pot Roast are in the slow cooker and all of the necessities are in the oven. T-2 hours until chow time. Happy Thanksgiving!

Working tonight and tomorrow. Had ihop with the fiance yesterday as our thanksgiving dinner. Apparrntly grilling burgers at work tonight though. Happy thanksgiving folks!

Roasted and fried turkeys, with all the trimmings and deserts, plus naps.

Enjoyed the Cowboys & Redskins, especially my man Zeke (from OSU). I was a huge cowboys fan as a kid (those cheerleaders) but now I have another reason: #21. Having a Manage a Trois right now: Zin, Merlot & Cab Sav blend. Not bad! Nice day with the inlaws and no butt hurt over the election.

Now we just need some flying WX.

We aren't huge fans of turkey, so Christmas is enough for us. We grilled steaks on the Green Egg, baked potatoes, Ceasar salad and broccoli! Good stuff!!

Family was out of the country, so no need to do my usual brining of the turkey and preparing the side dishes. This left me with a bit of free time to myself. I took my motorcycle for a nice ride up and down the coast and today's weather was perfect for that.

For dinner, I celebrated Thanksgiving with my dog. I had Trader Joe's Chicken Marsala (pretty good!) and a glass of wine. My dog got meatloaf and rice. We're both ready for a nap. Scratch that, dog is already napping.

It was a great turkey day, had a house full. A sister and spouse, our 6 kids & 3 spouses, 3 grandkids, an adopted daughter and her 3 kids and the wife and I. Totally traditional, relish tray, turkey, spiral cut ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, corn souflay, rolls, pumpkin pie. It was fantastic

We went out to a local restaurant with friends. I noted to some of them that I'd not deep fried a turkey in a while and it's been requested I do this, so we may get a few done before Xmas.

Went to a friend's house, got as stuffed as the turkey, and was given a "Care Package" big enough to last three days. BURP!

Smoked one and roasted one. Don't know why I even bother roasting any more. Smoked is so much better.
3019f4900639be5fccefacebd8a722d9.jpg

Smoked one and roasted one. Don't know why I even bother roasting any more. Smoked is so much better.

I smoked one a few years ago. The response was even more polarizing than the most recent presidential election with one side not wanting it any other way and the other side decrying the lack of tradition.

I smoked one a few years ago. The response was even more polarizing than the most recent presidential election with one side not wanting it any other way and the other side decrying the lack of tradition.

So you're saying you made Turkey great again, but only half believed your marketing campaign? ;)

I tried smoking a turkey once. Couldn't get it to light.

I tried smoking a turkey once. Couldn't get it to light.
You need a better lighter :)

I smoked a turkey once and it came out nicely. One thing we learned with smoked turkey. Do not attempt to make stock with the carcass. One of my pilot friends has long taken the leftover carcasses of our deep fried turkeys and made stock (returning some to us). She took the smoked turkey carcass and the reduced stock was so potent to be unusable.

Since I posted originally, the same couple we went out with on Thanksgiving proper invited us over for (roasted) turkey on Saturday. Margy made a pumpkin pie and I made my signature "port wine and Asian spice" cranberry sauce (I had to hunt up the only Asian grocery store in the area to find the spices, the piedmont of NC isn't quite as ethnically diverse as northern Virginia was).

The turkey ("the turkey") was roasted in the oven, but it was overdone this year. That meant everything pretty much came clean off the carcass so even if one wanted to use it for stock it wouldn't have worked. The dark meat was fine and juicy but the breasts were a little on the dry side.

The turkey ("the turkey") was roasted in the oven, but it was overdone this year. That meant everything pretty much came clean off the carcass so even if one wanted to use it for stock it wouldn't have worked. The dark meat was fine and juicy but the breasts were a little on the dry side.

Which begs the question: Does a turkey have 1 or 2 breast?

Back