TSO, Airplane Flight Manual Supplement

Alb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyalb
Hi to anyone who can clear this up for me. Does a TSO item require an Airplane Flight Manual Supplement, or is the documentation for it only in the MX manual? If I'm renting an airplane that has after market equipment installed in it, then how do I know whether I should be looking for a supplement or have to dig in the MX manual for proper documentation? Thanks!

A TSO means the equipment has been designed and manufactured meeting FAA standards. I don't see why it would require an AFM supplement unless it is installed via STC. And STC'd equipment, which would be considered a major alteration, often come with AFM supplements. Most avionics do not require STCs except for IFR GPSes and electronic flight instrument systems. However I am not an expert in this, hopefully some A&Ps can add their input.

Does a TSO item require an Airplane Flight Manual Supplement
A TSO on itself does not trigger an AFM supplement as it is only a design/production approval and not an aircraft installation approval. So you would need to know under what method the equipment was installed for any supplement requirement. However, in general, not all installations require a supplement unless the "new" equipment changes the certified limitations and conditions of the aircraft. Perhaps if you post what specific equipment you are questioning might be able to give a better answer?

A TSO on itself does not trigger an AFM supplement as it is only a design/production approval and not an aircraft installation approval. So you would need to know under what method the equipment was installed for any supplement requirement. However, in general, not all installations require a supplement unless the "new" equipment changes the certified limitations and conditions of the aircraft. Perhaps if you post what specific equipment you are questioning might be able to give a better answer?
Thank you, this is very helpful. I was always taught that if it's aftermarket and not original equipment in the airplane then you should have a supplement for it in section 9 of the POH/AFM. I was renting an airplane I had never flown before and was surprised to not find any documentation on the GTX 327. I thought I would be looking for a supplement or a manual/pilot's guide, etc. but found nothing. After talking with the owner he said documentation was in the maintenance manual.

I was always taught that if it's aftermarket and not original equipment in the airplane then you should have a supplement for it in section 9 of the POH/AFM.
That is not entirely correct. However, keep in mind there is a difference between an AFM supplement which is regulatory and a Pilot's Guide or Owners Manual which is merely advisory in nature. Only the FAA approved AFM supplements are required to be included in the AFM. For your 327 here is the Pilot Guide which is a separate document.

Back