Tropical Storm/Hurricane Florence

As I told my insurance agent, I'm 170' above the lake level. If the water gets that high, I gotta build a big boat and start rounding up the animals.

Yeah, I know that you got to take the elevator from the airpark to your dock on the lake.

Platinum Air Center (251-923-0050) at KJKA in Gulf Shores, AL and 4I9 in Cardington, OH are offering free parking for evacuees. 4I9 said they can hold 10-12 planes

Oh boy!!!! I’ve got a mandatory zone A evacuation effective 8:00 am tomorrow. Guess it’s time to pack...:cryin:

Yeah, I know that you got to take the elevator from the airpark to your dock on the lake.

Funicular. All those people with classy (and classic) rock piles on hills have a funicular to bring them to the boathouse. ;)

IMG_0413.JPG

I've never lived in the path of a hurricane and not emergency evacuated a jet in advance. This one is no different. Have left my wife to fend for herself each time, this time also no different, other than she is 5 months pregnant with a 3 year old in tow this time (they are boarding a flight to our home state of Oregon tomorrow, so don't worry). I will say, flying back to the beach this afternoon after an overwater training mission, it was pretty cool looking down at all the ships scrambling out of Norfolk. It was like a 30+ mile long conga line, destroyers, frigates, even surfaced submarines, all appearing to be around a mile in trail of the next. That must have been one heck of a logistical maneuver this morning/early afternoon at the pier to get that sort of departure frequency. Turns out the lazy, bureaucratic, "that's someone else's job" monster that I often lament as my Navy can really pull together and do cool things when there is enough urgency.

Submarines will always depart on the surface and they will probably have the best ride. At 400’, you will never even notice the storm.

They don’t really coordinate that much other than the use of tugs when needed. Every Unit is capable of getting underway without tugs, but to minimize mistakes, they usually use them to pull a ship out to the channel. Think more pilot controlled airport rather than class-B except there is an actual route everyone must follow.

Storm track has shifted further east. Yesterday the track was right over my house, today over Goldsboro.

Notice Ron said his friends, not us POA riffraff! :mad:

I keed Ron! ;)

Hey, the beds are all spoken with refugees who already applied. If you're willing to camp on a sofa or futon or air mattress, we'd have you. I'm not sure if the hangar is committed or not. I have one tie down spot on the ramp (lots of grass available if you have your own tiedowns). Current projections only show 30 MPH winds out here.

Hey, the beds are all spoken with refugees who already applied. If you're willing to camp on a sofa or futon or air mattress, we'd have you. I'm not sure if the hangar is committed or not. I have one tie down spot on the ramp (lots of grass available if you have your own tiedowns). Current projections only show 30 MPH winds out here.

Thanks, I was just kidding Ron. I'm in Alabama so safe until another forms up in the Gulf.

Looks like we're going to get a lotta rain here now. I have friends who were evacuated from Hilton Head who are staying with us now.

Back