TRIO AP in more planes

I'm waiting on the trutrak STC for the Mooney m20c. I have one in my RV7 and like it.

Aren't the issue with both TruTrak and Trio is that they cannot track a heading, just a GPS course?

These A/P's might work for some, but I need for capability.

I'd probably pay a little more for the Garmin GFC500 which is a full 2-axis A/P that can track a compass heading as well. Also really like GFC500's Level button and 180º turn function.

Aren't the issue with both TruTrak and Trio is that they cannot track a heading, just a GPS course?

These A/P's might work for some, but I need for capability.

I'd probably pay a little more for the Garmin GFC500 which is a full 2-axis A/P that can track a compass heading as well. Also really like GFC500's Level button and 180º turn function.

They cannot interface to a magnetic heading system heading, therefore cannot follow a "magnetic" heading. The Trutrak (and probablyt the Trio also) can be dialed in to follow and GPS track very similar to UI of the old vacuum DG with a heading bug OR you can push the CWS button and steer to desired heading and let go of the button. The Trutrak (and possibly Trio) has a "LVL" button, not sure about the 180 turn tho.

Trio & Trutrak cannot follow VHF navids even when interfaced to GNS/GTN series avionics from what I understand.

Trio & Trurak cannot do any autotrim.

(Yet)

When I can buy the TruTrak for $5k and install it myself into my certified airplane I'm not sure the GFC-500 is worth the extra cost to pay the dealer to install it, thanks to the dealer installation policy.

I agree with you about Trutrak/Trio being a minimalist solution. I worry that it's just too little of a solution to remain market viable for support going forward. Not trashing them, and hope the win big.

By the time you buy both G5s, GMU11, GAD29 and the GFC-500, and all the dealer labor to install it, the pricetag is gonna be huge.

The GFC500 with optional autotrim is gonna be $10k or more just for the autopilot equipment. That doesn't include the G5 needed to drive it or the second G5/GMU1/GAD29 interfaces if you want to track GPS/Navaids. (or a GPS/nav radio for that matter)

Last edited:
I agree with you about Trutrak/Trio being a minimalist solution. I worry that it's just too little of a solution to remain market viable for support going forward. Not trashing them, and hope the win big.

Once a guy gets over the things they can't do (now) they are still very comparable in functionallity when looking at the GPS navigation side, airspeed hold, envlope prtection, vertical speed hold etc. Big bang for the $.

Trurak $5100 for equipment & STC + ~$2000 labor = flying a new autopilot for under $7500

Garmin - You need a one G5 minimum to drive the autopilot, this won't let it track any GPS or VHF navaids. Thats $2149 just for the G5kit, a $300 for GMU11, and you may need a $300 antenna for it. Bare bones GFC-500 is around $7,000. If you want to interface an existing GPS navigator thats another $3k in equipment. I'd guess 40-60 hours to install everything. Autotrim is gonna be another $2k in equipment, prob 10 hours labor.

Last edited:
My quote for 2 g5, gfc500, with auto trim, gmu11, and labor is 24k

That also included vacuum system removal and new panel overlay

Looks to be about 50% equipment costs, so at $100/hr that’s 120hrs? With the extra work you of new panel, seems about reasonable.

That’s about the same quote I got too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'm taking my instrument check ride next week and (over)confidently thinking I should put an autopilot in my AA5. The Trio is supposedly on the verge of having an STC for Grumman's so I'm looking at that. Anyone have one installed? Did your local A&P do the install or did you go to an avionics shop?

They cannot interface to a magnetic heading system heading, therefore cannot follow a "magnetic" heading. The Trutrak (and probablyt the Trio also) can be dialed in to follow and GPS track very similar to UI of the old vacuum DG with a heading bug OR you can push the CWS button and steer to desired heading and let go of the button. The Trutrak (and possibly Trio) has a "LVL" button, not sure about the 180 turn tho.

Trio & Trutrak cannot follow VHF navids even when interfaced to GNS/GTN series avionics from what I understand.

Trio & Trurak cannot do any autotrim.

(Yet)

When I can buy the TruTrak for $5k and install it myself into my certified airplane I'm not sure the GFC-500 is worth the extra cost to pay the dealer to install it, thanks to the dealer installation policy.
Good summary but, the Trio Pro Pilot can indeed do autotrim (at least in the experimental version I installed in the Lancair).
No level button.
It does have option for tracking gps flight plan magenta line or gps course. When atc says fly heading 123, I just dial in a heading. Sure it isn't magnetic but its in the ballpark and if you know the wind direction you can fudge the number a bit to get close enough.
https://www.trioavionics.com/Horizontal.htm

Good summary but, the Trio Pro Pilot can indeed do autotrim (at least in the experimental version I installed in the Lancair).
No level button.
It does have option for tracking gps flight plan magenta line or gps course. When atc says fly heading 123, I just dial in a heading. Sure it isn't magnetic but its in the ballpark and if you know the wind direction you can fudge the number a bit to get close enough.
https://www.trioavionics.com/Horizontal.htm

The genre of this thread was talking STC approvals, neither the Trutrak or Trio have approval to interface with an existing certified span can's mechanical pitch trim system. Both STCed systems are two axis via two servos. Would be a great add-on feature if they can get it done.

The Garmin GFC500 has the option to install a third (and even a fourth for yaw dampener on some airplane models) servo to enable electric & auto pitch trim. The GFC-500 pitch trim kit can even be installed after the fact and does not need to be installed when the primary GFC system is.

Last edited:
Got my GFC 500 back today. I dont see a 180 turn option. Just level

Got my GFC 500 back today. I dont see a 180 turn option. Just level
Congrats! What type plane was it again? I'm just patiently waiting on Garmin to start adding to their STC list.

It's in a 182. 2 g5's, gfc500, and JPI EDM700, put the Aera 660 panel mounted, removed all vacuum, 2 USB chargers where suction gauge was. Also took out ADF. It is flippin awesome.

It's in a 182. 2 g5's, gfc500, and JPI EDM700, put the Aera 660 panel mounted, removed all vacuum, 2 USB chargers where suction gauge was. Also took out ADF. It is flippin awesome.

But you can't shoot NDB approaches anymore :(

I couldn't shoot one before.

Yep, thats the way to do it. I believe Dynon has a special button for a 180. Much like the GFC500 level button.

Has anyone on here installed a unit in their 172??? If so, what was the total cost and what are the first impressions?? Any buyers remorse?????

No way anyone could have buyers remorse. A bit pricey. Like 24 for my 182. But if it can save your life if you get yourself in a bad situation, worth it. (SEE 178 seconds to live article). Should never happen, but its possible.

Back