Transitioning through the LAX area

It is possible to fly VFR over LAX, or nearly so. The "Los Angeles Special Flight Rules Area" allows flight directly over LAX, without a clearance, under certain circumstances. In addition, there are a number of published VFR routes that are available with ATC clearance. Information is in the "Los Angeles TAC Supplemental" in the "Documents" section of Foreflight.

I have flown through the LAX Special Flight Rules Area on every flight I have made to the LA area. I'm not sure what you mean by certain circumstances, unless you're referring to the rules that you have to follow.

https://skyvector.com/?ll=33.593989720228215,-119.69135587096612&chart=114&zoom=4

The coastal route looks simple enough, basically you get on flight following, tell them what you’re doing, and follow a VOR radial in then another one out?

The coastal route looks simple enough, basically you get on flight following, tell them what you’re doing, and follow a VOR radial in then another one out?

Yup...You enter Bravo from the north at 5,550' on the LAX 323 radial overfly the LAX VOR then leave the LAX VOR on the 123. Super simple, even simpler if you are /G. I have all the routes saved in Foreflight as favorites as well.

You are expected to enter and exit the Bravo shelves on those radials fully flying the whole route, no cutting corners...it can happen, but don't expect it or ask for anything else being unfamiliar.

From SBA, pick up FF and climb for 5500'. You will get handed off from SBA Approach, then Magoo Approach then SoCal. Do not bother with any Bravo requests till your first SoCal handoff...which will be pretty close to the Bravo but just keep navigating towards the entry point. All you need at the first SoCal handoff is "SoCal, Skylane 12345 Level 5,500....request Coastal Route". Done. You may get "expect coastal route", "on request", or even nothing...but as long as you do not get "remain clear of Bravo" or are not an unsure bumbling fool on the radio (which I have heard) you can expect that clearance will come. Be forewarned, they sometimes do not issue that actual clearance till you are face to face with that blue line but it will eventually come. Once in a blue moon I have to query ATC "Confirming Bravo Clearance?" at the last second but they are generally pretty good at getting it to ya.

Once you get that clearance it is on you to follow and fly the published procedure. They will not vector you in Bravo except for other traffic. Easy peasy.

Many advocate for the SFRA for one reason or another but I am not a fan as you have to leave FF, self announce in the SFRA then try and re-establish FF on the other side again with a new squawk in pretty busy airspace. If the SFRA is open, I have never been denied another route and can remain on FF the whole time. SoCal WANTS to be talking to ya and rarely denies FF or a published Bravo Transition weather permitting if prepared and competent, but if you prefer not to talk it is certainly an option.

Last edited:
All routes except Special Flight Rules require Bravo clearance from ATC

Love the Special Flight Rules route over LAX too. 4500' northwest and 3500' southeast. You're on a pilot-to-pilot frequency so it has that "nontowered airport" feel to it. Good visual references to get lined up too..refinery/405 fwy to the south and Santa Monica airport/Marina del Rey to the north. Lots o' traffic all around, so hyper vigilance is a must! The controllers here are plenty busy already, so I'm happy to not clog that frequency any more than necessary.

The best thing is that there are a ton of options to navigate this airspace. :)

I decided to drive to Palm Springs yesterday as opposed to fly b/c the winds were forcast to be strong on my return trip today. Sure enough...it was REALLY windy today. It was sketchy enough driving...I couldn't imagine being in the air today thru the banning pass. It was disappointing to leave a perfectly good plane in its hangar yesterday, but today I was very happy with my decision.

I decided to drive to Palm Springs yesterday as opposed to fly b/c the winds were forcast to be strong on my return trip today. Sure enough...it was REALLY windy today. It was sketchy enough driving...I couldn't imagine being in the air today thru the banning pass. It was disappointing to leave a perfectly good plane in its hangar yesterday, but today I was very happy with my decision.

I was watching foreflight today and I saw some extreme and severe turbulence pireps over the mountains in that area and over here by LA. Not a good day to be out.

Yup. Don't forget you gotta hear the magic words though, "cleared into the Bravo." It's not just flight following.

Another LAX question if you guys aren’t tired of me yet.... from Santa Barbara I want to start home taking a farther south route. The direct course to my next likely destination would take me almost directly over LAX it’s self which I’d assume is no bueno. I want to go SBA - SXC - CXL but that takes me through warning areas w-289e and/or w. Info on foreflight says “intermittent by NOTAM” so hopefully I can find out if it’s going to be active with a briefing.... any other sources of information on it? Can I expect to probably just get cleared through(probably departing Saturday morning)?

Even if 289 is hot there is no law that says you have to stay out but it's a good idea IMO. And how you feel about flying over the ocean beyond gliding distance is your thing. Like said above getting clearances through on the published transition routes is really easy. I've never been refused anyway and I've done it a lot. SFR is kinda cool if you like things like flying right over a big airport. For even more fun try the Mini Route. Have your frequency change skills in order, you'll get a lot of them in a short period of time. Be ready to be refused and change to the SFR if they say no, it can happen from time to time, or so I've been told

Wise decision. I was out flying today from Hawthorne to Camarillo and back. Moderate turbulence and wind sheer. I would not have wanted to fly through banning today.

No joy on the coastal route. They vectored me around to the N instead but we got out.

Of course now I’m stuck in Yuma waiting on an alternator repair but that’s a whole other story....

All they told me was “coastal route is closed”

Usually only happens if LAX is not reporting VFR (which can happen with marine layer while Coastal Route IS VFR) or if the are landing from the west due to offshore winds.

Back