Transferring logbook from Foreflight to Garmin Pilot

Tombini

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Tombini
Hi all. First post!

Here's my issue...

I've found myself preferring Garmin Pilot as my iPad app of choice and would like to transfer the logbook I've got going on ForeFlight into Garmin Pilot. I've gone online, through the respective websites, found all the pages to import/export, but I'm running into a problem. I can export the ForeFlight logbook into a CSV file, but when I import that file through FlyGarmin, I get an error. Something about the dates not being in the correct format. But I've checked the file, they look right to me. So clearly some kind of formatting issue is happening.

Can it be done? Anyone else done this successfully? I've emailed Garmin support but thought I'd try fellow pilots as well.

I have not done it (my transition from FF to GP predated the logbook functionality in both), but have you tried creating a few dummy entries in GP and exporting to CSV and comparing to your FF export?

And welcome!

Welcome to POA, can't help I use my flightbook.

I highly recommend if you switch, you switch to logbook software that is that and only that. The EFB plus logbook thing is crazy when EFB tech is still changing as rapidly as it is.

Logbook tech, hasn't changed nearly as much. It has changed, however and will... just not at the rate the highly competitive EFB market will.

Maybe I'm wrong, and EFBs have settled in with all the major features we're ever going to see from them, but if they have, we aren't too far past the "hockey stick" point.

I highly recommend if you switch, you switch to logbook software that is that and only that. The EFB plus logbook thing is crazy when EFB tech is still changing as rapidly as it is.

Logbook tech, hasn't changed nearly as much. It has changed, however and will... just not at the rate the highly competitive EFB market will.

Maybe I'm wrong, and EFBs have settled in with all the major features we're ever going to see from them, but if they have, we aren't too far past the "hockey stick" point.
Any recommendations on log book sw?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Any recommendations on log book sw?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'm currently pretty happy with @EricBe 's MyFlightBook . Does what I need, but frankly, I learned my lesson at the last electronic logbook change to keep my paper book updated. It's primary, the electronic is just a tool for looking at thing and analyzing them, or a quick poke into
the iPhone at the airport that gets transferred to paper at home.

Thanks for the tips, guys. Will try the export function of Garmin to see what format they use.

I've had zero issues with Foreflight logbook. You can add CFI signatures, ratings, endorsements...you can do that with Garmin Pilot too. Just trying to get everything under one roof because I like it that way. Hopefully Garmin gets back to me too.

This. But more so.

Unless you plan to stay with a particular EFB all your life, there's not much reason to handcuff yourself to one. The cynic in me (you should see our fights!) thinks the reason EFB apps began to contain a logbook was less for pilot "convenience" in recording flight times than for the app developer's convenience in making it more difficult for customers to switch. (Related: my Stratus 2 is currently listed on eBay).

I'm currently pretty happy with @EricBe 's MyFlightBook . Does what I need, but frankly, I learned my lesson at the last electronic logbook change to keep my paper book updated. It's primary, the electronic is just a tool for looking at thing and analyzing them, or a quick poke into
Another fan of MyFlightBook, although I no longer maintain a paper one except for entries requiring someone else's signature (yes, I know I can do that in MyFlightBook, but I haven't "graduated" to accepting that completely yet).

Another fan of MyFlightBook, although I no longer maintain a paper one except for entries requiring someone else's signature (yes, I know I can do that in MyFlightBook, but I haven't "graduated" to accepting that completely yet).

Add me to the list of satisfied users of MyFlightBook. I also maintain a paper logbook and two different Excel spreadsheets. I know, that seems strange, but the spreadsheets are different and have different purposes. Redundancy! MyFlightBook has the advantage that I can update it using my phone at the end of the flight and it also tracks currency very nicely.

Back