Training in a Piper Archer Now. Got Any Tips/Tricks/Advice?

^which by the way, was one of Richard Feynman's greatest gifts was his ability to demonstrate complex concepts in a simple manner. Rolling balls are not planes, and yes they have all sorts of additional forces on them that make them behave differently than free falling objects, someone *does* understand that

But to illustrate the simple relationship between glide ratios, weight, and speed, I think it holds up
I'd agree with you but that would be like saying water flows downhill because the water above pushes it. The fundamentals are wrong and the student learns the wrong thing. True art as a teacher is to break the complex down to its simplest components while honoring the entire system. I used to argue this crap with others in an academic setting. I've made my choices on teaching and integrity.

simplest components while honoring the entire system
Props to teachers. It's a tough job.

Personally, growing up, I was never pleased with the whole "air goes faster on top of the wing so that generates lift" <- that always felt to me like a cheap explanation that was more just describing what was happening, not *why* it was happening

I still think its mostly $$ and sorcery that makes planes fly

67512678.jpg

Archer is maybe my favorite airplane. Not sure why, I guess I have more hours in one than most others, and I kind of like the way I fit in it. Learning fuel pump, tank switch procedures is no big thing and it's a knowledge base you'll have for the rest of your flying life. Carb heat procedures are a little different, pretty sure the manual says "as needed". My CFI told me to apply it when temp-dewpoint was within 6 deg as a preventative, but the book says "as needed" and I think that leaves it up to the PIC to decide when it's needed.

Archer is maybe my favorite airplane. Not sure why, I guess I have more hours in one than most others, and I kind of like the way I fit in it. Learning fuel pump, tank switch procedures is no big thing and it's a knowledge base you'll have for the rest of your flying life. Carb heat procedures are a little different, pretty sure the manual says "as needed". My CFI told me to apply it when temp-dewpoint was within 6 deg as a preventative, but the book says "as needed" and I think that leaves it up to the PIC to decide when it's needed.
Actually it's the engine that decides when it's needed. It's up to the PIC to detect when the engine has made a decision.

I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe the operators manual) that it increased the chance of detonation, so you only use carb heat when truly needed, not as a prophylactic (that word wasn't in there, but it is fun word to use on PoA).

I found this in Section 7-6 Operating Instructions of the POH:
"Carburetor heat should not be applied unless there is an indication of carburetor icing, since the use of carburetor heat causes a reduction in power which may be critical in case of a go-around. Full throttle operation with carburetor heat on is likely to cause detonation."

But then there's the previously mentioned safety alerts and bulletins, but they aren't Piper-specific, so I'm not sure what to think.

Basically, if I don't use carb heat on approach during my checkride, will I fail?

I found this in Section 7-6 Operating Instructions of the POH:
"Carburetor heat should not be applied unless there is an indication of carburetor icing, since the use of carburetor heat causes a reduction in power which may be critical in case of a go-around. Full throttle operation with carburetor heat on is likely to cause detonation."

But then there's the previously mentioned safety alerts and bulletins, but they aren't Piper-specific, so I'm not sure what to think.

Basically, if I don't use carb heat on approach during my checkride, will I fail?
You have to follow the specific PoH or official handbook for the plane you are flying on your checkride. I did my checkride in my Cherokee and did not apply carb heat on final. It was a discussion point with the examiner, but he was well aware of the requirements.

Instead of bungees, the nose wheel is linked to the rudder.

Prior to the 1974 model year, nosewheel steering in fixed-gear PA-28s and PA-32s was by a direct connection between the rudder pedals and nosewheel. Beginning in 1974, however, a bungee connection was added so there is some 'give' in the system, though it's still a much tighter connection than in fixed-gear Cessnas. This from the 1977 PA-28-140 POH:

Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 2.11.15 PM.png

Landing in a crosswind you need to get your rudders neutral before letting down the nose wheel.
True. Fixed-gear Cessnas have a cam device in the nosegear strut that centers the nosewheel whenever the strut is fully extended. So no matter what you do with the rudder pedals in flight, the nosewheel is always pointing straight ahead. Not so with Pipers.

pa-28-180_1970_slip.jpg

Back