Training in a Piper Archer Now. Got Any Tips/Tricks/Advice?

Iyou don't need carb heat.

This got mentioned incorrectly a few times in this thread. If you're experiencing carb ice you sure as hell need carb heat.

It's not a part of the standard descent checklist or used at reduced power settings like in the Cessnas, but it is there, needs to be checked during run-up, and its use needs to be understood.

That's above 5, not 1.6.

1.6 is comparable to the Space Shuttle. 30,000 feet 10 miles out.
Talking about POH numbers. For every 1000 ft you can glide 1.6 miles

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Pretty sure MAKG1 is talking about making sure you're using the same units when calculating your ratio. Foreflight is looking for ft/ft not miles/ft.

Pretty sure MAKG1 is talking about making sure you're using the same units when calculating your ratio. Foreflight is looking for ft/ft not miles/ft.
ahh!!. alright. don't use foreflight. my panel mount Garmin shows the distance to the nearest airport in nm, so I stick to 1.6 nm glide per 1000 ft AGL

upload_2017-6-8_11-3-28.png

OK so using this, I just found a spot on the chart where the lines coincided to eliminate the need for extrapolation/guesswork (15,000 ft/27.5 miles). So, 27.5 statute miles is 145,200 feet and 145,200/15,000 = 9.68, so that's a ~9.7:1 glide ratio? So I guess I'll pad it for safety and put 9:1 in Foreflight, and remember that it's about 1.8 miles per 1,000 feet for quick mental calculations (maybe padding that for safety to 1.5 miles per 1,000 feet).

Does that look/sound right?

View attachment 54185

OK so using this, I just found a spot on the chart where the lines coincided to eliminate the need for extrapolation/guesswork (15,000 ft/27.5 miles). So, 27.5 statute miles is 145,200 feet and 145,200/15,000 = 9.68, so that's a ~9.7:1 glide ratio? So I guess I'll pad it for safety and put 9:1 in Foreflight, and remember that it's about 1.8 miles per 1,000 feet for quick mental calculations (maybe padding that for safety to 1.5 miles per 1,000 feet).

Does that look/sound right?
remember thats at max gross. you are not going to fly always at max gross. which begs another question... would it glide more if you are light?

Also, why are you so annoying Piper POH? Speeds in mph, and total fuel listed in gallons, but unusable fuel listed in pints... (eye roll)

Speeds in mph, and total fuel listed in gallons, but unusable fuel listed in pints... (eye roll)

For years the manufacturers of light singles resisted using knots to express speed. After all, the marketing department liked the sound of "150 mph" a whole lot better than "130 knots." But they finally agreed to standardize on knots in the mid 1970s. Cessna switched its manuals to knots, and put knots on the primary ASI scale, in the 1976 model year; Piper and Beech followed suit in 1977.

I seem to remember reading somewhere (maybe the operators manual) that it increased the chance of detonation, so you only use carb heat when truly needed, not as a prophylactic (that word wasn't in there, but it is fun word to use on PoA).

When we apply carb heat, does the fuel/air mixture get richer or leaner?

Apply answer to above sentence to realize it's bunk.

remember thats at max gross. you are not going to fly always at max gross. which begs another question... would it glide more if you are light?
No. Speed is higher at max gross but glide ratio is approximately the same if you are at best glide.

No. Speed is higher at max gross but glide ratio is approximately the same if you are at best glide.
so you are saying the best glide speed would change, but the glide distance would be same whether I am at 2500 or 1900? logically lighter things floats more, so... whats the physics behind this?

so you are saying the best glide speed would change, but the glide distance would be same whether I am at 2500 or 1900? logically lighter things floats more, so... whats the physics behind this?
Are you floating?

Well technically may be. Won't the weight change lift? Not arguing, trying to understand.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Technically maybe? Is your aircraft lighter-than-air? If not then how can it be floating?
yes, I am beating this notion of floating out of your head. You can thank me later.

logically lighter things floats more, so... whats the physics behind this?
@WannFly this perplexed me for a long time after and I finally just accepted it as part of life, lol. I was particularly perplexed by why it is that sailplanes use water ballast. Seems counter-intuitive to add weight to something like a sailplane.. and it goes along to the same point that @Clark1961 was making about glide ratio being the same regardless of weight

I wrote up a long explanation but it was esoteric, so I found this courtesy of stack exchange, he explained it better, copied below and source here: https://aviation.stackexchange.com/a/609

Mass doesn't affect the maximum distance, only the maximum endurance.

For example, imag[in]e two identical planes A and B: A weights 50kg less than B. Assuming no wind (horizontal / vertical) and speed of best glide, both gliders will land at the exact same spot.

The lighter airplane A however will arrive later than B, as the speed of best glide is less than for B. In conclusion you can say, that additional mass only increases speed, but not the travel distance.

Glider competitions are most of the time a route you have to fly in the shortest time possible. So that means, if you have a higher speed of best glide, you can fly faster in competitions.

The only downside to having a higher weight is, that your liftrate in thermals will be decreased and due to the higher speed it is harder to center the thermals.

It is to some extend also possible to shift the Centre of Gravity (CG) with the added load. The further it is to the aft limit, the higher your maximum distance is. This is because you will have less down-force from the stabilizer required. (If the CG is at the front limit, you will need to pull the control stick in order to fly level, therefore you have more drag). However I think this is rather a positive side effect and most of the time the water is used for flying faster.

Source: I am a glider pilot and currently doing my ATPL training.

What are the 4 forces acting on the aircraft in flight?

What is the relationship between those forces in unaccelerated flight?

A plotted curve of the ratio of lift to drag has what kind of shape? Does the shape of the curve change with weight?

What are the 4 forces acting on the aircraft in flight?

What is the relationship between those forces in unaccelerated flight?

A plotted curve of the ratio of lift to drag has what kind of shape? Does the shape of the curve change with weight?
i understand the curve doesnt change with weight.. trying to wrap my head around why. what you and @Tantalum mentioned makes sense. still trying to wrap my head around the "why". i guess gravity is stuck in my mind and i have a mental picture of a feature and an apple (damn newton) falling from same height and one takes longer to hit the ground, and i may have always correlated that to weight. my school physics teacher is somewhere ashamed of me rt now

still trying to wrap my head around the "why"
I eventually just forced myself to accept it. But one thing that helped me visualize, was imagining an inclined plane (geez, we really are back to high school physics :lol:) and two balls on it. One ping pong ball and one bowling ball. Both will roll down the plane and hit the ground at the same exact point, but the bowling ball will get there much faster

upload_2017-6-9_13-2-50.png

I eventually just forced myself to accept it. But one thing that helped me visualize, was imagining an inclined plane (geez, we really are back to high school physics :lol:) and two balls on it. One ping pong ball and one bowling ball. Both will roll down the plane and hit the ground at the same exact point, but the bowling ball will get there much faster

View attachment 54198

ha, that is does.... guess i have to accept it as well...

i understand the curve doesnt change with weight.. trying to wrap my head around why. what you and @Tantalum mentioned makes sense. still trying to wrap my head around the "why". i guess gravity is stuck in my mind and i have a mental picture of a feature and an apple (damn newton) falling from same height and one takes longer to hit the ground, and i may have always correlated that to weight. my school physics teacher is somewhere ashamed of me rt now
Ignore the parasitic component of the drag curve for a minute. The remaining drag is all induced. What causes the induced drag? Lift and lift is constant for unaccelerated flight and a fixed weight, right? In fact lift has to equal weight (ignoring tailplane forces). Now consider a heavier weight wth the same wing. The wing will have to generate more lift. More drag will be induced but the General shape of the induced drag curve will not change. Of course the stall speed is higher so the endpoint shifts a bit.

So we now have two induced drag curves for two different aircraft weights. Lift must equal weight.

Does the parasitic drag curve change for aircraft weight? No, of course not.

Total drag is the sum of the induced drag and parasitic drag. So can we agree the total drag curves are going to be similar for any given aircraft weight? We know from this discussion that the point of maximum lift with minimum drag is going to shift to a higher airspeed with higher weight. The discussion hasn't gotten to the point that the ratio of lift to drag will be nearly equal at L/D max for each curve but I think you can see it is heading that way.

Other than saying induced drag is proportional to lift at normal operating airspeeds I can't get you to a proof that L/D max is nearly constant with respect to aircraft weight. Maybe a friendly aerodynamics guy will have a proof.

View attachment 54198
Newton just screamed.

Newton just screamed.
We're not in a vacuum. Otherwise they would get there at the same time AND same point. But if we were in a vacuum the whole discussion of "best glide" would be moot!

We're not in a vacuum. Otherwise they would get there at the same time AND same point. But if we were in a vacuum the whole discussion of "best glide" would be moot!
Newton was a lousy engineer but a great theoretician. In this case the balls have parasitic drag but little/no induced drag. The result is that the heavier ball will accelerate faster against parasitic drag than the lighter ball. With the airplane there is no acceleration so while the simplified ball model has a similar outcome to illustrate the speed of the heavier aircraft it does not in anyway represent the physics.

Newton just screamed.
You bet he did. 'Cause someone doesn't understand the difference between falling/sliding and rolling. It make a HUGE difference. Different objects fall at the same rate, but do NOT roll at the same rate.

Even in a vacuum.

Not that rolling is a very good analogy for a descending aircraft (one hopes).

it does not in anyway represent the physics.
Totally agree. But the whole thought experiment at least helped me just accept it as part of life. The glider thing I posted above was what a glider pilot maybe a decade ago explained to me (when I first started pondering this) and his analogy made me think of the ball thing

It would be interesting one day to take some of the older trainers and do some testing on them to see how they really perform. If I had my own plane seems like it would be an interesting way to spend a Saturday

You bet he did. 'Cause someone doesn't understand the difference between falling/sliding and rolling. It make a HUGE difference. Different objects fall at the same rate, but do NOT roll at the same rate.

Even in a vacuum.

Not that rolling is a very good analogy for a descending aircraft (one hopes).
It was an abbreviated thought experiment that helped me visualize it. Not something I handed down as decree

Hold on while I calculate my new W&B carrying a bowling ball, ping pong ball, and feather in the airplane.

It was an abbreviated thought experiment that helped me visualize it. Not something I handed down as decree
"Thought experiment" now I'm going to shoot you. Hold still.

^which by the way, was one of Richard Feynman's greatest gifts was his ability to demonstrate complex concepts in a simple manner. Rolling balls are not planes, and yes they have all sorts of additional forces on them that make them behave differently than free falling objects, someone *does* understand that

But to illustrate the simple relationship between glide ratios, weight, and speed, I think it holds up

On landings, remember that it's a little more nose heavy than a 152, so keep the sight picture right. Also keep in mind that the nose wheel is tightly steerable; in a Cessna, it's a suggestion, but in Pipers it is hard linked. That's why you don't push on the rudder during preflights, it's all linked directly to the nosewheel, which isn't going to turn easily. In a crosswind landing, it creates some interesting dynamics as you transition from flying to taxiing. If you hold a crosswind rudder input too long after touchdown, at some point the nosewheel will bite and you will steer yourself right off the runway.

Yep, this is far less obvious than the tank switching. Instead of bungees, the nose wheel is linked to the rudder. Landing in a crosswind you need to get your rudders neutral before letting down the nose wheel.

Back