Train vs plane

Stopping a train fast is not possible, even when the engineer throws it into emergency. You have a steel wheel with a contact area the size of a dime on a steel rail.

Stopping a train fast is not possible, even when the engineer throws it into emergency. You have a steel wheel with a contact area the size of a dime on a steel rail.

Agreed, you can't stop a train fast.
But how many of those small steel-on-steel contact patches are there on a modern train? I have no idea. Does every wheel have a brake, or only some?

Has anyone considered the possibility that
Old Charlie stole the handle
And the train it won't stop
Oh no way to slow down?

Just wondering.

my question is why the hell is a train going so fast through a densely populated area

Gallup NM is here because of trains. Settled in 1880 as a Westward Overland Stagecoach stop, it became a construction headquarters for the Atlantic and Pacific Railroad and was named for David L. Gallup, railroad paymaster. When railroad workers went to collect their pay, they said they were “going to Gallup,” and so the name remained. Mr. Gallup was a popular person on paydays....

There is a train through here on average approximately every 15 minutes. From what I have been told, the trains just passing through can continue at the speed limit, which I think is 65 mph. If the train stops, it can only proceed at 35 mph. I am sure there is more to that.

The Navajo and possibly the Zuni first Americans believe that if you stand in front of a train and jump away at the last moment then it will scare the evil skin walkers away.

Not long after my wife came here, we were driving home after dark. There was a stopped train with several police cars parked along the road next to the tracks. Several police men were searching in the ditch along the railroad with their flashlights. My wife asked me what they were looking for.

''The other half of the body.''

It happens. A lot of deaths would be avoided if folks would ask the city council to elevate the tracks. But then you will hear the city council screaming all the way to your house.. :lol::lol:

That would also put the ''has train horns damaged your hearing? Call us for your settlement'' lawyers out of business.

Agreed, you can't stop a train fast.
But how many of those small steel-on-steel contact patches are there on a modern train? I have no idea. Does every wheel have a brake, or only some?
Average Metrolink train is 600 tons. (5 cars * 8 wheels) + 8 for the engine = 48 dime sized patches. Or 12.5 tons per dime.

Stops are planned, not on demand.

The regional train from Washington DC to New York hits speeds of 114 MPH in rural areas, and passes through mid size towns at 60 to 70.

Outside the vicinity of one of the 7 enroute stations,, the speed is continuously high, and rarely as slow as the traffic on the parallel highways. Time, including stops is 3 hours and 40 minutes, unless they depart late, then the run faster, and cut 10 or more minutes from the time scheduled.
Including stops, that is an average of 60 MPH.

Dishonor those crossing gates at your peril.

All the wheels have brakes, but the stopping distance is about 10 times as far as with a car with bald tires.

Well, at first. Then it gets really big in a hurry. Nothing like flat wheels from an emergency dump.

Kathryn’s Report is now engaging in censorship? What the hell was “shocking” about any of that? A little blood on the guy’s face? Don’t we see far worse on TV shows and movies?

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2022/01/cessna-172h-n8056l-accident-occurred.html

Edit: Now it is back with news of hysterics about shutting down the airport. The pictures of the bloodied pilot that the journalists couldn’t determine “their” gender are also back.

Last edited:
... All the wheels have brakes, but the stopping distance is about 10 times as far as with a car with bald tires.
At least in dry conditions, bald tires are the best scenario. Tread is there to vacate water, mud, and snow; 99% of the time, it just squirms and makes the tire hot.

Back