Train vs plane

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
Not sure if posted here. Pretty scary scene. Plane landed on tracks. Train comes through a just annihilates the plane. You can see they pull the pilot out seconds before train get there. There is police body cam footage out there. Too graphic to post here.
https://m.youtube.com/shorts/Wp1VM_iFDys?feature=share

Whole lotta NTSB two-Spider-Man memery in this one

Good that he got out I once saw idiot get hit went around the arms train took him about 1/2 mile down the track he was lucky train was only going about 30 mph it was long took awhile to stop. Hit him on the passenger side small car he got out walked away.

According to openrailwaymap shows max speeds there at 79 MPH. Amtrak looked like was going in the 70 range.

Last edited:
Shoulder Harness. Lucky man, good response, terrible for the engineer in the train. Couldn't have made this one up.

I just saw that. Dude needs to blow the rest of his savings on lottery tickets
Definitely used up all nine lives today. Think about all of the things that had to go right, to survive this?

Engine failure on takeoff over a very congested urban area. Puts it down on the only available open terrain in the area, the railroad tracks running along the airport, somehow managing to miss the huge number of wires in his way, and survive the crash, though injured, then pulled from the wreckage by police just THREE seconds before the airplane is obliterated by a train doing 70mph+.

if you put this scenario in a movie, no one would believe it.

Seems like looping a tow strap around that wreckage and pulling it off the tracks might have been just as fast. But I obviously wasn’t there.

Lots to armchair quarterback here but all in all the LAPD did a great job getting this guys out and to safety.

Tip of the hat from this armchair QB!

Seems like looping a tow strap around that wreckage and pulling it off the tracks might have been just as fast. But I obviously wasn’t there.
The "just before impact" shot of it shows the nose pretty well planted and the left wing and gear collapsed. It would have been involved to do that.

He didn't make it very far. The intersection he crashed into is about 200 feet to the right of the end of the runway. He must have ground looped it because it was pointed back toward the runway when it came to rest.

And for that, we are grateful.

I keep seeing comments like this when I read about this story. :rolleyes:

Police roll up, see it's on the tracks, get tow strap out of trunk, loop it around the tail of plane and hook the other end to the car. Start backing up. Fuselage twists, piece of metal slices through femoral artery in pilots leg. Airplane landing gear gets jammed in railroad track. Cop stops car. Notices red liquid pouring out from cabin. Assumes it's hydraulic fluid because pilot wasn't bleeding that bad before. Starts to approach the plane to unhook the tow strap when plane (and pilot) are destroyed by train.

Last edited:
That was a close one. Those guys almost got hit right in the caboose!

Mental note - do NOT land on the train tracks.

Why do you assume they were all guys?

“Guys” as in “group if people”.

Also, because a woman would have been screaming frantically waiving her arms in the air running around in circles having no clue what to do and the guy (you know, the person who is a man) would have been crushed by the train.

He was taking off from Whiteman Airport those tracks are parallel to the runway maybe engine failure on take off he came down at the Osborn crossing.

https://goo.gl/maps/sLahJd3QT1Ps3WXE9

Lot of people standing around with their cameras video recording likely he was there for sometime before the train showed up no one is helping until the police show up?

He was taking off from Whiteman Airport those tracks are parallel to the runway maybe engine failure on take off he came down at the Osborn crossing.

https://goo.gl/maps/sLahJd3QT1Ps3WXE9

Lot of people standing around with their cameras video recording likely he was there for sometime before the train showed up no one is helping until the police show up?

I like the way the guys standing there videoing knowing the train’s going to hit the plane and a piece flies off and hits one of them. I would have been backing the hell away.

And for that, we are grateful.

I keep seeing comments like this when I read about this story. :rolleyes:

Police roll up, see it's on the tracks, get tow strap out of trunk, loop it around the tail of plane and hook the other end to the car. Start backing up. Fuselage twists, piece of metal slices through femoral artery in pilots leg. Airplane landing gear gets jammed in railroad track. Cop stops car. Notices red liquid pouring out from cabin. Assumes it's hydraulic fluid because pilot wasn't bleeding that bad before. Starts to approach the plane to unhook the tow strap when plane (and pilot) are destroyed by train.

Why complicate things? Instead of a tow strap, why not just use the cruiser to push the thing off and well clear of the tracks? I mean, the train eventually did it. See how simple?

Why complicate things? Instead of a tow strap, why not just use the cruiser to push the thing off and well clear of the tracks? I mean, the train eventually did it. See how simple?

All the videos I ever seen where police are there they just leave the vehicle on the tracks get the person out. When you hear the horn it's too late to do much the speed is very deceiving here is a great example of train going 80 MPH you can't tell from the size of the thing head on. I think this is why so many people get hit they see the train coming at them think it's going slow.

I don't think these trains even let up on the throttle you can hear that locomotive's diesel doesn't even sound like it changed RPM at all. Maybe it's better not to hit the brakes less chance of derailing.

From a first responder pov it's an interesting scene. No FD on scene, so it must've only happened <5-7 min ago.

Amtrak trains don't take that long to stop. We had a suicide in our district, and the train stopped about 1/2 mile from where he saw the guy. The first thing dispatch would do with a report of a vehicle on the track is notify the RR, so again it would seem this just happened.

What's surprising is the number of cops that were able to get there so fast.

Pilot looked pretty beat up, even before the LAPD dragged him out of the vehicle....
(Sorry couldn't resist)

I don't think these trains even let up on the throttle you can hear that locomotive's diesel doesn't even sound like it changed RPM at all. Maybe it's better not to hit the brakes less chance of derailing.
I don’t think the diesel is what drives the wheels.

Mental note - do NOT land on the train tracks.
It's the same thing every day, Clean up your room, stand up straight, pick up your feet, take it like a man, be nice to your sister, don't mix beer and wine ever, Oh yeah, don't land on the railroad tracks.

It does, but indirectly: Diesel->Generator->Electric Traction Motors. Sort of an electric transmission.
Yep, and they have a combination of the electric motors being used as brakes and wheel (friction) brakes.

All the videos I ever seen where police are there they just leave the vehicle on the tracks get the person out. When you hear the horn it's too late to do much the speed is very deceiving here is a great example of train going 80 MPH you can't tell from the size of the thing head on. I think this is why so many people get hit they see the train coming at them think it's going slow.

Oh, definitely. A train is big and that size makes it looks deceptively slow. I would never fault the officers for their course of action. I will fault the lookey-loos standing around recording things. Put the ****ing phone down and help out ***hole!!

My first thought is why are folks standing down stream of an accident about to happen.??

Oh, definitely. A train is big and that size makes it looks deceptively slow. I would never fault the officers for their course of action. I will fault the lookey-loos standing around recording things. Put the ****ing phone down and help out ***hole!!
To be fair, it's generally best not to move an accident victim unless they're in further danger (like about to be hit by a train). The bystanders wouldn't have known a train was coming, and by the time they did it was to late to do anything. Now, standing 50' from a train crash isn't real smart, so I'm not calling it a Mensa convention, either

Back