Traffic position relative to Stratos orientation

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
If I see traffic at my 11 is that mean it is at the 11 position of the stratus or my track?

I've been told that my Stratus needs to be positioned flat and oriented a certain way in the aircraft and I got to thinking certainly the position of other aircraft has to be relative to my track and not the orientation of the device right?

I'm now thinking the only reason to orient the Stratus front to back is so it doesn't misinterpret a bank as a climb when you're looking at that attitude indicator screen

I'm now thinking the only reason to orient the Stratus front to back is so it doesn't misinterpret a bank as a climb when you're looking at that attitude indicator screen

You’ve got it. It has to be oriented in whatever way it’s set up in the software for the AHRS functionality.

It doesn’t care which way it’s pointed for the ADS-B part other than reception being blocked by the fuselage.

If I see traffic at my 11 is that mean it is at the 11 position of the stratus or my track?

Yours. The ADS-B signal contains GPS coords. Those are what's used to paint the location of the traffic.

Yours. The ADS-B signal contains GPS coords. Those are what's used to paint the location of the traffic.
Wouldn't it be easier to do it the other way? So, like, if you have traffic at your 12:00, you could just turn the Stratus, then they would be at 9:00 and no longer a factor.

@SixPapaCharlie ... in 55WB, I have the Stratus tucked above the pilot's door, direction of flight arrows pointed forward (means LED's in the back), and on it's side. We also use the remote antenna to see more of the ground stations. That's fixed on the LH side windscreen just in front of the windshield pillar.

Works fine for seeing traffic. Especially now that we have a GTX345 "out" transponder installed.

Also works fine for AHRS. Once I get to level flight, I zero the representation in FF and it holds that until we shut the unit off.

wouldn't you already have known this by visually spotting traffic being shown on your brynon?

So foreflight added a new feature that i have only seen in soooper new Cirrus.
It shows you traffic on the AI display and you can pan around and see it.

I was wondering about how it worked and the accuracy.

But I mean HOLY CRAP!!!! The future is now.

Somebody's messing with you. Orientation only important for AHRS and I believe you can calibrate it for any position.

I was wondering about how it worked and the accuracy.

But I mean HOLY CRAP!!!! The future is now.
Also keep in mind that this new tech really comes into its own when the aircraft is equipped with a transponder that does ADSB Out. You're aircraft is pinging the towers and other aircraft. So you are more likely to see what's out there than "non-out" systems.

Also keep in mind that this new tech really comes into its own when the aircraft is equipped with a transponder that does ADSB Out. You're aircraft is pinging the towers and other aircraft. So you are more likely to see what's out there than "non-out" systems.

Its on my list to do on or before midnight Jan 31, 2020.
Now... how to work it into the budget. She is getting tired of "I need $xxx for the plane" unless she's in it and $xxx is for fuel.

Its on my list to do on or before midnight Jan 31, 2020.
Now... how to work it into the budget. She is getting tired of "I need $xxx for the plane" unless she's in it and $xxx is for fuel.
Have you tried, "... so you won't be woken up from your in flight nap by an airplane flying within 300 feet of us..."?

Keep in mind scheduling with the local shops is gonna get busier the more you wait. Trevor's Tech Aero is already 6-9 months booked.

[/MEDIA]

That has been around on Cirrus since 2009 with the advent of Perspective avionics. Not trying to correct you but just pointing out it isn't a G6 Perspective+ feature since you said "soooper new"

Traffic is always positioned behind relative to the Lancia.

(I normally don't pick on people's spelling but an uncle gave me a plastic Stratos model as a kid and the image of that car is going to be in my head the rest of the day).

I ordered parts today to build a Stratux but left out the AHRS board since I don’t use synthetic vision in my FF app. Did I understand that I don’t need AHRS data for this to work in FF?

So I have mine in a suction cup mount which obscured the arrow showing you which direction you’re supposed to point it. I forgot which way it was and guessed wrong. Flew a lot with it backwards. I never saw any impact on functionality.

@SixPapaCharlie ... in 55WB, I have the Stratus tucked above the pilot's door, direction of flight arrows pointed forward (means LED's in the back), and on it's side. We also use the remote antenna to see more of the ground stations. That's fixed on the LH side windscreen just in front of the windshield pillar.

Works fine for seeing traffic. Especially now that we have a GTX345 "out" transponder installed.

Also works fine for AHRS. Once I get to level flight, I zero the representation in FF and it holds that until we shut the unit off.

Mike, I’m interested to know how you’re using your Stratus in conjunction with your -345? I have both as well and have noted the -345 gives me the same data that the Stratus does; however, the Stratus AHRS is much better than the -345’s. I hadn’t considered turning off the Bluetooth on the -345 and use the Stratus for In instead (if that’s what you’ve done).

Mike, I’m interested to know how you’re using your Stratus in conjunction with your -345? I have both as well and have noted the -345 gives me the same data that the Stratus does; however, the Stratus AHRS is much better than the -345’s. I hadn’t considered turning off the Bluetooth on the -345 and use the Stratus for In instead (if that’s what you’ve done).
The stratus is there as the backup. This was suggested to us from several other local,pilots who had also upgraded to the 345.

I have only done the AHRS and FF synth vis from the 345 on one flight, and then only during cruise flight and the initial descent.

I need more flights with synth vis "hooked" to the 345 to render an opinion in which device does a better job feeding the AHRS data. I nearly always forget that feature is there to use as everything else on the panel and in FF are more than up to the task of getting me safely on the runway.

So do you have both connected at once or do you have to turn Bluetooth off so that FF isn’t confused by multiple sources (I.e. Stratus via WiFi)?

So do you have both connected at once or do you have to turn Bluetooth off so that FF isn’t confused by multiple sources (I.e. Stratus via WiFi)?
Both. At least both show up in the devices tab at the same time. All devices remember the pairings, so once the avionics Master is energized and the units finish their POST, the iPad sees them and they show up in FF.

I don't know how FF decides in which to listen to from micro second to micro second, but somehow it works okay.

Cool, I’ll have to try it out in my next flight. I really want AHRS to work and was pretty bummed when mine didn’t.

Back