Traffic pattern TRIVIA

jaybee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jaybee
Why is the standard traffic pattern to the left ?

The best I can come up with is that most pilot stations are on the left but that isn't the trivia question answer posed to me.

Any ideas ?

I always thought it was because the pilot flying usually sits left seat so better visibility when making left turns.

It isn't standard if you fly a helicopter.

And turns to the right are standard in a holding pattern.

only if you're in the northern hemisphere. if you're in the southern hemisphere it's right pattern. just like flushing a toilet. and that's a fact.

It isn't standard if you fly a helicopter.

And turns to the right are standard in a holding pattern.

Talking about traffic pattern not holding patterns and left turns by a helicopter are fine if there is no fixed wing traffic to avoid, though I usually just go direct to ramp.

I always thought it was because the pilot flying usually sits left seat so better visibility when making left turns.
Yes that was my original thought but that isn't the answer being looked for I guess.

clearly you were in northern south america, which is still in the northern hemisphere.
no, I was in Southern South America.
now the drain circled the other way but the toilet by design, swirled the same way as up here.

Well, it's the same direction of rotation as tropical weather systems in the northern hemisphere, so maybe there's some benefit if you happen to be landing in a hurricane with its eye centered over your runway....

now the drain circled the other way but the toilet by design, swirled the same way as up here.

the toilet must have been made in the USA. that's the only logical explanation.

only if you're in the northern hemisphere. if you're in the southern hemisphere it's right pattern. just like flushing a toilet. and that's a fact.

Negative on that unless parallel runways or operating risk. Standard circuit is the left in Oz

Americans are fat, and sit usually in the left seat. Just makes less work for the planes to turn left.

Doesn't toilet water flush to the left?

So to sum it up:
If the pilot is in the left seat, he should fly a left hand pattern.
If the pilot is in the right seat, he should fly a right hand pattern.
If the pilot is flying a tandem airplane, he should do a straight in.

Why is the standard traffic pattern to the left ?

The best I can come up with is that most pilot stations are on the left but that isn't the trivia question answer posed to me.

Any ideas ?
Mabe for the same reason we run races to the left?

Only toilets I saw in South America belonged to rich Americans...... ;)

I got real good at hitting the target in the squat hole....

And why is that?

My working theory is that pushing on a steering wheel to go left is more natural for a right-handed person than pulling on it.

Though admittedly my working theory may be all wet.

All cars used to be manual transmission and typically a shift is required when turning. Therefore most turns are done with the left hand.

My current car is a manual and most turns are done with the left hand. The only time it's different is if I'm having fun and complete the downshift before the turn and power out of it. Then two hands on the wheel as the shift is already completed.

As an aside, 2 of our 3 cars are manuals - the Jeep Wrangler and the Honda Element.

Just our Ford Flex is auto, and that's only because MT was not an option.

Back on point, is one usually actively shifting while actually in a turn? I though braking and downshifting normally occurred before the turn, so that throttle could modulate while in the turn.

I guess some people just don't like arbitrary choices. There isn't necessarily a reason. And the world is full of arbitrary conventions.

Like the driving on the right thing. A big hunk of the world drives on the left. It's not a big deal to downshift in a right hand drive car.

Because NASCAR makes left turns on oval tracks.....

So do horses. And runners. And ice skaters.

Additional and mostly unrelated trivia question: do you know why clocks turn the direction they do? It's not arbitrary, btw.

Additional and mostly unrelated trivia question: do you know why clocks turn the direction they do? It's not arbitrary, btw.
because if they turned the other way, it would be anti-clockwise? :D

sundials?

As a follow-up to Eman's answer, it's because clocks were invented in the northern hemisphere. Or, at least, it's because the northern hemisphere clock inventors killed off the southern hemisphere clock inventors. I don't know if the Incas had sundials. But if they did, they would probably think that the decision of which direction to call "clockwise" was rather arbitrary.

As an aside, 2 of our 3 cars are manuals - the Jeep Wrangler and the Honda Element.

Just our Ford Flex is auto, and that's only because MT was not an option.

Back on point, is one usually actively shifting while actually in a turn? I though braking and downshifting normally occurred before the turn, so that throttle could modulate while in the turn.

Sometimes in a turn, sometimes after, sometimes before. The transmission in my car is very close ratiod so downshifting before a turn appropriately might require significant RPM and that's not pleasent for passengers who aren't used to it, so I'll shift after. During a turn if speed is variable and it's a gentle turn where two hands aren't required.

Back