Traffic pattern TRIVIA

the answer sought was that a left hand turn counteracts the right turning tendencies

the answer sought was that a left hand turn counteracts the right turning tendencies
What right turning tendencies?

All the dynamical effects are greatly reduced at low or idle power. And helical propwash is ALWAYS left turning.

You're essentially flying a glider with a drag plate in front. Until you decide to go around. Then it will turn left if you don't counteract it.

Left hand turns are an arbitrary choice. People really don't like arbitrariness, so they make up BS to "explain" it.

Sometimes in a turn, sometimes after, sometimes before. The transmission in my car is very close ratiod so downshifting before a turn appropriately might require significant RPM and that's not pleasent for passengers who aren't used to it, so I'll shift after. During a turn if speed is variable and it's a gentle turn where two hands aren't required.

Wouldn't a close-ratio imply that the RPMs wouldn't be drastically different between gears? So the impact would be lower on the passenger than a standard transmission with more widely-spaced gearing. Rev-matching makes it a non-issue either way, unless the sound of the engine is what discomforts your passengers.

What right turning tendencies?

I figured the answer would be controversial as most pilots are not good enough to recognize what happens to their aircraft when they push forward on the elevator, though it is significantly more noticeable on something swinging a heavy prop and/or having poor directional stability. I was going to be all smart ass and say "better to remain silent and thought..." but I'll give you the benefit that you may have not ever flew something with a heavy prop and/or poor directional stability though that doesn't change the fact that even a docile Cessna will do it if you are paying close enough attention

I figured the answer would be controversial as most pilots are not good enough to recognize what happens to their aircraft when they push forward on the elevator, though it is significantly more noticeable on something swinging a heavy prop and/or having poor directional stability. I was going to be all smart ass and say "better to remain silent and thought..." but I'll give you the benefit that you may have not ever flew something with a heavy prop and/or poor directional stability though that doesn't change the fact that even a docile Cessna will do it if you are paying close enough attention

Even on something with a "heavy prop," the gyroscopic effects are proportional to RPM. At idle power, the effects are substantially less pronounced than at full power. It is not the opposite of the left turning tendency on takeoff.

Wouldn't a close-ratio imply that the RPMs wouldn't be drastically different between gears? So the impact would be lower on the passenger than a standard transmission with more widely-spaced gearing. Rev-matching makes it a non-issue either way, unless the sound of the engine is what discomforts your passengers.

Normal 50mph gear is 5th (cruising) and at 55 mph is 6th. Turn into typical side street at 25mph is 2nd gear. Requires quite a large increase in rpm for the rev match. About 1200rpm to 4000. A "normal" car would probably only be a 1-2 gear difference.

And yea, just a sound thing. Some people freak out when you rev going into a turn. I'm quite young and most people my age have never even ridden in a manual car so they have no idea what's going on.

My sis in law cried when I did it once in a road with a guard rail cause she thought I was going to accelerate over the edge. She had no idea how a clutch worked and no idea that the motor and wheels were isolated from each other. She thought that we were accelerating into a turn. I was dumbfounded at this but I've seen it more than a few times now with people my age.

I don't use the clutch to shift, so yes, to downshift means I have to increase engine RPM to match everything up to make a clean shift. I can see how someone that has never seen a manual transmission could be confused.

Even on something with a "heavy prop," the gyroscopic effects are proportional to RPM.
Never said they weren't.

At idle power, the effects are substantially less pronounced than at full power.
Who said idle power, though its still true.

It is not the opposite of the left turning tendency on takeoff.
It is. Saw it with these two eyes right here - had it proven to me as part of an aerobatic course I took. As I said if you've never noticed, you weren't paying close enough attention. Until the course, I wasn't paying enough attention myself.

I not going to sit here and argue about something I've personally first hand experienced. I'm getting out of the mud before I'm thought a pig...

I downshift early enough that I can apply power around the midpoint of the turn and accelerate out.

For steering accuracy, nothing beats pulling the wheel down. For a right turn, move your right hand to about 1:00 and pull down to turn; for a left turn, move your left hand to about 11:00 and pull down. It's much better than making a left turn by moving your right hand upwards from 3:00 or 4:00. Watch a race sometime and see which way the drivers do it when the in-car camera is displayed.

Back