Traffic Pattern Requirements

Weather, low on fuel, high winds, mechanical problems, illness, incapacitated passenger or pilot, time of day, declared emergency.

Stipulated that any or all of these would permit a pilot to fly any pattern he or she liked, under emergency authority, declared or otherwise.

It just sometimes seem that pilots need to prove how clever they are by interpreting every little comma and exclusion in the regs to do whatever they want, in spite of the historical benefit of flying standard and predictable traffic patterns. To save a "tenth" here and there? Can't think of many other reasons beyond emergencies.

For instance, when returning to Copperhill (1A3) from the north with a wind from the south, I'm perfectly lined up for a straight-in to RWY 20. Yet my habit is to overhead the airport 500' above the pattern, maneuver to the west, circle down clear of the pattern and enter a right downwind (as specified for RWY20) at about a 45º angle at midfield downwind. Like I said, maybe adds a tenth or so, but its my habit and has served me well - I can see the wind direction indicator more clearly from above, check for wildlife or obstructions on the runway, spot NORDO planes in the pattern more clearly from above, that sort of thing.

Works for me - YMMV.

Right traffic, and a pilot with "all available information concerning that flight" would be aware of that.

I agree but the letter of the law seems to indicate that without visual markings, Left traffic is mandated. I wish they'd rephrase it to read visual markings or what's stated in the AFD or on the sectional.

I don't agree with your conclusion. The original judge opined that 5 or 6 miles would be acceptable, but the Board pulled up short of that assessment in footnote #6 as an example of not being in agreement with all of the judge's "findings". I wouldn't announce being on a base leg opposite the legal flow around the airport.
Neither would I, because you can't be "on a base leg" without being in the traffic pattern. And I hope I did not give the impression that it's OK to fly a "base leg" opposite the direction of traffic no matter how far out you are. You can "join the final approach course for a straight-in" from the opposite side outside the traffic pattern area, but you cannot "fly a base leg" in the opposite direction since that implies you're going the wrong way in the pattern.

Instead, I'd give my position in terms of bearing and distance from the airport, maybe adding "For a possible straight-in for runway X."
I wouldn't say "possible straight-in", either. If I'm doing a straight-in, I'd leave out the possible. If I wasn't doing a straight-in, I would leave out the "straight-in".

And I wouldn't turn final less than 5 miles out either, lest I find myself in front of the same Law Judge. Who knows, since the type of aircraft capable of using the airport needs to be considered (see Boardman), even that distance might be too short in some judge's opinion.
If you read it all, including the other cases cited, being established on final 3 miles out is plenty for any light plane.

My airfield lacks any visual markings but right traffic to 17 is depicted on the sectional and in the AFD. What would the law say in this case?
I think the FAA's interpretation of the regulations would be that based on "all available information" (which you are required to know per 91.103), you should know the airport has right traffic and anything else would violate 91.126. And I think the NTSB would agree.

Like I said, I "occasionally" have used a right base in a left hand pattern airport, (twice that I can remember in 3200 hours) but usually 5 or more miles out.
If you were 5 miles out, you were not on a right base since you were outside the pattern.

Maybe from now on I'll just announce position and do a straight in final.
Better choice of words.

If you read it all, including the other cases cited, being established on final 3 miles out is plenty for any light plane.

Yeah, I've read it all, and others too, but not lately. I also had a conversation some years ago with the Flight Standards manager in charge of recurrent training who cited a case where 5 miles was still considered too close based on similar final approaches being conducted at a military base in similar aircraft. Unfortunately, I don't remember where he said it was and I never could find it on the NTSB's website. It makes sense though. Just because you fly a C-172 shouldn't have a bearing on whether you can cut off a B-747 making closed traffic with 6 mile finals. If the strip is just 2,000' long--you have a case.

dtuuri

Landing on taxi ways illegal also? :confused:

I'm w/Captain Ron.

Never done it, but in a strong enough wind in a small plane I might be tempted to land into the wind on a taxiway or even ramp area as opposed to a runway with a huge crosswind component.

My Sky Arrow can land at about 39k. With a 30k wind, well, you do the math. In any case, the ground roll would be really, really short. Almost nonexistent, really.

I think if one were to come to grief landing on a ramp or taxiway, "Careless and Reckless" would be the only catchall I can think of.

BTW, out in Moriarty, NM I was advised by a glider pilot that with a strong wind from the north they would just land on the ramp. Since I was there they have built a N/S runway, so the need should be less now.

Instead, I'd give my position in terms of bearing and distance from the airport, maybe adding "For a possible straight-in for runway X." And I wouldn't turn final less than 5 miles out either, lest I find myself in front of the same Law Judge.
Again...

...can you clearly articulate the need for the above?

Why not just "go with the flow"?
Here's why: Somebody is probably doing this while I'm coming in 500' above the pattern with a corporate jet:
For instance, when returning to Copperhill (1A3) from the north with a wind from the south, I'm perfectly lined up for a straight-in to RWY 20. Yet my habit is to overhead the airport 500' above the pattern, maneuver to the west, circle down clear of the pattern and enter a right downwind (as specified for RWY20) at about a 45º angle at midfield downwind.
I've never been the least bashful, though, to circle a busy little airport. A straight-in seems less risky to me when there's two sets of highly experienced eyeballs watching for traffic at sleepy little airports than wandering around it in the morning haze looking for a midair with a student on a cross country surveying the airport.

dtuuri

Yeah, I've read it all, and others too, but not lately. I also had a conversation some years ago with the Flight Standards manager in charge of recurrent training who cited a case where 5 miles was still considered too close based on similar final approaches being conducted at a military base in similar aircraft. Unfortunately, I don't remember where he said it was and I never could find it on the NTSB's website. It makes sense though. Just because you fly a C-172 shouldn't have a bearing on whether you can cut off a B-747 making closed traffic with 6 mile finals.
Agreed, and it doesn't.
If the strip is just 2,000' long--you have a case.
No, you don't. Right-of-way is an entirely different issue than direction of turns in the pattern. If you cut off an aircraft already established on final, forcing it to alter its approach, you've violated 91.113(g) regardless of how far out either aircraft was or what direction either aircraft turned to join the final. However, if the strip really is 2000 feet long, and that B747 makes an approach to it, that B747 pilot will be in violation of 91.119 (minimum altitudes) if s/he goes low enough to be a factor for that C-172. See Administrator v. McCullough, citing Administrator v. Hart, NTSB Order EA-2884 (1989), saying the airport must be suitable for the aircraft making the approach.

Last edited:
If someone was in a CitationJet or a KingAir coming into Copperhill from the north, I probably would not begrudge them a straight in approach to RWY20 to avoid a lot of maneuvering in and around the airport with higher terrain in some quadrants. A stabilized approach would be much easier to accomplish, and important with the runway only about 3,000'. I think that's why the FAA recognizes the need for straight-ins and gives some latitude while still recommending standard patterns.

Every pilot should be aware of possible straight-ins and check final several times while on base.

My comments are mostly directed to smaller GA aircraft.

Right-of-way is an entirely different issue than direction of turns in the pattern.
You know I wasn't referring to right of way. Making an illegal-direction turn to final within the normal pattern is the subject. "Normal" could be a 6 mile final for B-747.

dtuuri

You know I wasn't referring to right of way. Making an illegal-direction turn to final within the normal pattern is the subject. "Normal" could be a 6 mile final for B-747.

dtuuri
OK, then that bit about "Just because you fly a C-172 shouldn't have a bearing on whether you can cut off a B-747 making closed traffic with 6 mile finals" was irrelevant because the direction of turn someone else made to join the final approach course isn't relevant to whether or not you can cut them off as prohibited by 91.113(g), only whether they violated another regulation (see "Two Wrongs" in your favorite book of stories with morals). As for a B747 joining a 6-mile final, I don't think 91.126 is relevant to direction of turn since based on the Boardman case, 6 miles is outside "the vicinity of [the] airport " even for a B747 which someone says is making "closed traffic".

Last edited:
OK, then that bit about "Just because you fly a C-172 shouldn't have a bearing on whether you can cut off a B-747 making closed traffic with 6 mile finals" was irrelevant because the direction of turn someone else made to join the final approach course isn't relevant to whether or not you can cut them off as prohibited by 91.113(g), ...
Yes, it does have a bearing. If it's a 2000' runway you wouldn't normally be cutting a plane out of the pattern by turning final at 3 miles, unless there's multiple airplanes stretching it out that far. Doing the same thing on a 12,000' runway with a B-747 turning six mile finals in closed traffic is cutting it off--you're in 'his' pattern. That's my point. The airplane you're flying isn't germane, the other one is.

As for a B747 joining a 6-mile final, I don't think 91.126 is relevant to direction of turn since based on the Boardman case, 6 miles is outside "the vicinity of [the] airport " even for a B747 which someone says is making "closed traffic".

As I pointed out in an earlier post, the Board cited that "finding" by the Law Judge as an example of one they did not necessarily agree with. So, if the judge said 5 or 6 miles was "ok" and the Board doesn't agree, it must be that they don't feel final is limited to that length.

dtuuri

Yes, it does have a bearing. If it's a 2000' runway you wouldn't normally be cutting a plane out of the pattern by turning final at 3 miles, unless there's multiple airplanes stretching it out that far. Doing the same thing on a 12,000' runway with a B-747 turning six mile finals in closed traffic is cutting it off--you're in 'his' pattern. That's my point. The airplane you're flying isn't germane, the other one is.
Still doesn't matter. If there's a 172 on six mile final for that 2000 foot runway, cutting it off so it has to alter its approach still violates 91.113(g). OTOH, if that B747 is on even a 3 mile final for a 12,000 foot nontowered runway and you can turn in front without forcing it to alter its approach, you haven't.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, the Board cited that "finding" by the Law Judge as an example of one they did not necessarily agree with. So, if the judge said 5 or 6 miles was "ok" and the Board doesn't agree, it must be that they don't feel final is limited to that length.
You're mixing apples and oranges. The 91.113(g) right-of-way issue is entirely independent of how far out on final the straight-in aircraft is -- no matter how far or how close in it is, or whether it turned in from the "normal" pattern or joined the final from the "wrong" side a long way out, you cannot force it to alter its approach. The only thing that distance out affects is whether or not the aircraft joining the final is doing so "in the vicinity of [the] airport" per 91.126 for the purpose of determining whether the direction of turn when joining was legal, and that has no bearing on 91.113(g) right-of-way issues.

If there's a 172 on six mile final for that 2000 foot runway, cutting it off so it has to alter its approach still violates 91.113(g).
And if it's Learjet? How's one s'posed to see it in 3 miles visibility?

OTOH, if that B747 is on even a 3 mile final for a 12,000 foot nontowered runway and you can turn in front without forcing it to alter its approach, you haven't.
You haven't read all of Boardman... have you? Take a look at this:
"The transcript of communications includes a record of respondent stating “Alaska 51 on a four mile right base. ..” (Exh. A-2). Although respondent testified that the communication was only made to notify that the flight was in the area, in our view it is further evidence in support of the
conclusion that the respondent’s aircraft approached the airport on a right base leg."​
Turning final even at 4 miles isn't good enough if making a right turn in the Board's eyes.

You're mixing apples and oranges.
Well, I am a vegetarian. :yes:

The 91.113(g) right-of-way issue is entirely independent of how far out on final the straight-in aircraft is -- no matter how far or how close in it is, or whether it turned in from the "normal" pattern or joined the final from the "wrong" side a long way out, you cannot force it to alter its approach. The only thing that distance out affects is whether or not the aircraft joining the final is doing so "in the vicinity of [the] airport" per 91.126 for the purpose of determining whether the direction of turn when joining was legal, and that has no bearing on 91.113(g) right-of-way issues.
You're mixing apples and lemons. More of Boardman one:
"The parties agree that, in preparation for landing, respondent did not make all turns to the left as set forth in § 91.89(a)(l). Instead, the aircraft set up to the runway by making a turn to the right. The dispute here centers on one question: whether respondent’s approach included a prohibited right turn, or whether it should have been considered a “straight-in” approach not prohibited by § 91.89(a)(l). The answer to that question depends on the distance to the airport when the right turn was made. The Board finds that the evidence of record supports the law judge’s order, although we do not adopt all of his findings."​
As an example of the judge's findings the Board does not adopt, in footnote #6, they say this:
"6 For example, the law judge determined that a turn in anticipation of a straight-in approach, made at 5 or 6 miles out, would not be considered a violation..."​
"Cutting off" another airplane may not preclude that plane from landing, but may well be considered illegal just the same. I don't get why you keep drawing the distinction, since both rules ('right of way' and 'standard turn direction') mean to prevent collisions. In fact, the Board said that too:
"5 FAR § 91.89(a)(l) is intended to assist in safe landings at non-controlled airports. If aircraft are turning into final approach from different directions, they may not see (or be able to see) each other. This is especially true with larger aircraft. Thus , if turns are to be made, they are made in a
uniform pattern. Alternatively, aircraft may land on a "straight-in” approach."​
I think we both agree that pilots shouldn't make right turns to final without giving serious consideration to how they would look in the event something unexpected happens that causes their decision to be scrutinized by the FAA, like a near-miss. Or a noise complaint. Or a disgruntled airport manager. For straight-ins, the longer the final is--the better, legally speaking.

dtuuri

And if it's Learjet? How's one s'posed to see it in 3 miles visibility?
Look.
You haven't read all of Boardman... have you? Take a look at this:
"The transcript of communications includes a record of respondent stating “Alaska 51 on a four mile right base. ..” (Exh. A-2). Although respondent testified that the communication was only made to notify that the flight was in the area, in our view it is further evidence in support of the
conclusion that the respondent’s aircraft approached the airport on a right base leg."​
Turning final even at 4 miles isn't good enough if making a right turn in the Board's eyes.
In a B737, yes. But you'll note they said it depends on the aircraft and other factors. In any event, that only addresses the 91.126 issue, not the 91.113(g) issue.

Good night.

I will have to find the case, but they once defined it as within 5 miles.

Do NOT call right base into a non-towered airport. You are straight in. Trust me on this one.

When your destination is Wiscasset, Maine KIWI, review the airport information.
Left Pattern on RW 7; RIGHT Pattern on RW 25. We used to have Left Pattern for #25 and on DW for 25 would cruise past the huge reactor dome of Maine Yankee Nuclear Plant. When Maine Yankee was decommissioned and demolished, the huge quantities of spent fuel was buried in casks until Yucca Mountain would be able to "take" the stuff for storage. Yucca is yet to be completed. In view of what's slightly starboard of the old Left Pattern, #25 has been Right Pattern for a bunch of years. Photos 1 and 2 obviously in different seasons. U.S. Route 1 is at bottom. #3 was on Base; #4, almost home.

HR

Attachments

• KIWI_1.jpg
    KIWI_1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • KIWI DW for #25.jpg
    KIWI DW for #25.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 16
  • KIWI 081310_2.jpg
    KIWI 081310_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • KIWI_3.jpg
    KIWI_3.jpg
    571.1 KB · Views: 21
With 3 miles vis and a Lear on a six mile final, the distance you gave, you better be looking at your fishfinder. I don't see how even a clueless judge could fault a pilot for violating the right of way on final rule. On the other hand, if the runway was long enough to actually land the Lear on instead of the 2000' in your scenario, Boardman proves even 5 or 6 miles isn't enough to placate the Board.
In a B737, yes. But you'll note they said it depends on the aircraft and other factors.
They said it depends on the 'aircraft able to use the airport', not the one 'you happen to be flying at the time and others of the same variety'. That, then, depends on the runway length and a probable very conservative opinion, of how much of a final ought to be protected for possible use by other aircraft, by a law judge or NTSB Board.

Good night.
Good morning! :)

dtuuri

When Maine Yankee was decommissioned and demolished, the huge quantities of spent fuel was buried in casks until Yucca Mountain would be able to "take" the stuff for storage. Yucca is yet to be completed.

Just a side note: Yucca isn't scheduled to be completed. The locals shot the proposal down IIRC. Plan B is a site in New Mexico but I'm pretty sure they never certified it for high level waste.

Landing on taxi ways illegal also? :confused:
In the case of a tower-controlled airport, you can land pretty much anywhere, but the controller will specify "at your own risk" in the landing clearance. I have landed on a taxiway at a non-tower airport when the main runway was closed, but that was blessed by a NOTAM.

Bob Gardner

In the case of a tower-controlled airport, you can land pretty much anywhere, but the controller will specify "at your own risk" in the landing clearance. I have landed on a taxiway at a non-tower airport when the main runway was closed, but that was blessed by a NOTAM.

Bob Gardner

Worth mentioning is that for Sun 'n' Fun, a taxiway is "blessed" as a runway by NOTAM.

Again, I'd be very careful about just changing it based upon the time of day or even a sick passenger. Unless it is an emergency, and yes the FAA wants you to declare at a non-towered airport even with no one around even if it is a PAN PAN PAN, they will hit you with a violation. I know this from personal experience.

Can you tell us more Sam?

Finally I want to add that one needs to check the AF/D and ensure the pattern is not non-standard. I taught at an airport that was north traffic only- the south side contained a drop zone and an aerobatic box. In addition, the frequency had been changed years earlier to 122.725. Several times we had aircraft fly the wrong pattern during active parachute operations or when the aerobatic box was being used while transmitting on 122.8.

I don't know why, but it still happens here at 5T6 .... 122.8 changed years ago. I keep old sectionals for terrain info only and use the Ipad and Iphone to confirm frequencies if landing at an unplanned stop (planned stop freqs are on the kneeboard).

I don't know why, but it still happens here at 5T6 .... 122.8 changed years ago. I keep old sectionals for terrain info only and use the Ipad and Iphone to confirm frequencies if landing at an unplanned stop (planned stop freqs are on the kneeboard).

I don't like keeping known-bad information in the aircraft.

You'll use it when something freaks you out. Like the weather goes south and now you have to dodge a thunderstorm.

Terrain doesn't change, but a new sectional isn't that expensive.

Can you tell us more Sam?

Too soon to talk about mine. But I will talk about what happened to a fellow CFI, same FSDO, same safety inspector.
Weather was one of those great days for instrument training- solid layer at 2000' or so, clear underneath. Great for BI in the soup.
CFI took up a primary student to give him some actual time.
Came back in on a circling instrument approach, broke out well above minimums and cancelled. Heard someone in the pattern who was using right traffic- the incorrect pattern. Rather than getting into a ****ing contest the CFI just told the student to follow the other traffic.
Well, wouldn't you know it, someone heard the CFI call "Right base" and turned him into the FSDO. They did not hear the callsign of the airplane he was following though they knew there was another airplane using right traffic.
CFI gets called in by the FSDO. CFI thinks the FSDO will be logical about this- yeah, he messed up but he was trying to go with the flow and avoid a safety conflict.
No. They did not see it that way at all. The safety inspector also got PO'ed that the CFI took a student pilot into the clouds. Said it was unprofessional and dangerous. Long story short the CFI got a 15 days suspension and the budding aviation career of this young CFI (who is a good pilot), is over.
Another lesson learned- don't go to the FSDO without a lawyer.

My point in telling this is for pilots to learn. We can argue about the distance the mother ship must be from the airport before the Federalis will charge the Helatrobus pilots with a violation for doing a right pattern. 99.9% of the time you can probably get away with doing an incorrect pattern at an airport, just as you can get away with most rule infractions most of the time. The problem is those other times, both legally and safety related. In my personal case 2 out of 3 safety inspectors thought I did the right thing and said they would have done what I did. 2 out of 3 is not good enough when dealing with the Federal government.

If there is any doubt about whether observing the correct traffic pattern is mandatory, take a look at FAA Order 2150.3B (page 266, Fig. B-3-h. Other Flight Violations, number 8). The presumptive penalty is a 30 to 60 day suspension of your license for failing to comply with an airport traffic pattern.

The traffic patterns are advisory in nature, not law.

With all due respect, I think you are confusing entry into the pattern with the traffic pattern. The proper entry is advisory. But making left turns unless the airport is marked as right traffic is regulatory, and therefore mandatory.

I suspect the vast majority of airports are in Class E airspace.

I suspect the vast majority of airports are at ground level ;)

(the number of airports with Class E or above to the surface are a fairly small percentage of the total number of airports in the USA, the largest percentage are under Class G to the surface)

Last edited:
No. They did not see it that way at all. The safety inspector also got PO'ed that the CFI took a student pilot into the clouds. Said it was unprofessional and dangerous.

Is that frowned upon? My DPE praised my CFI for taking his students into actual.

Is that frowned upon? My DPE praised my CFI for taking his students into actual.

Again, results may vary. I do it with my students. I knew safety inspectors at this FSDO who thought it was a good idea. Get the wrong safety inspector, however...

It depends on how advanced the student is. A pre-solo student in IMC is not a good thing but generally by the time they start getting ready for solo XC some experience in clouds is considered beneficial.

It depends on how advanced the student is. A pre-solo student in IMC is not a good thing but generally by the time they start getting ready for solo XC some experience in clouds is considered beneficial.
I'd say a student who's advanced enough would benefit from learning what IMC even if it is to point out how dangerous VMC into IMC is for a non-instrument pilot. Foggles and hoods can not replace clouds.

Not original with me, but saw this mentioned years ago by some clever wit on Usenet rec.aviation.piloting - a presumably "by the letter of the law legal" pattern that is a "right" pattern composed only of left turns. The regulation mentions direction of turns, not any definition of "left" or "right" pattern. I know jurists aren't always literalists, but they are extremely reluctant to stray from literal meanings. Not that I'd want to be involved in a test case...

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 264
Boy, we are a weird bunch.

But as long as we're engaged in this...

How about 45° right turn depicted here in order to enter the pattern?

550px-Airfield_traffic_pattern.svg.png

This is what I don't get. How can an OCCASIONAL ( When it is safer to do so due to night flight, weather, homes, emergency, etc) right turn to final from the opposite side be such a bad thing? Of course it is not. :no:

Back