Traffic pattern question: do you ever...

My best entry ever was in the back seat of an F-14 at Miramar NAS with a 5g break over the runway. The Pilot with about 3000+ hours in the Tomcat decided this USAF Engineer needed some excitement. I felt a lot like Goose with Maverick up front. Nothing like it.

No clue what the rule is for that type of thing.

Cheers

Why must you shout?

What in his post constitutes shouting? If you're referring to the italics, that's a standard option for quoted material.

That would put them 3.5 nm beyond the airport plus their radius of turn, more for faster aircraft. Not a very good thing to advise for student pilots unless you want to disorient them and get them lost, if not kill them outright during a premature descending turn into the downwind.

I was not taught to fly that far out when flying the "ampersand," but I still have found that it's easy to lose track of where the airport is, especially at an unfamiliar destination. That's one reason why I like the procedure you recommend when approaching from the non-pattern side of the airport. One question I have though is that if your direction of travel is not parallel to the runway, how do you avoid making a right turn when joining the upwind? I tried to find something about pattern entry on your Web site but was unsuccessful.

What in his post constitutes shouting? If you're referring to the italics, that's a standard option for quoted material.

Shout.JPG
Hard as heck to reply to.

One question I have though is that if your direction of travel is not parallel to the runway, how do you avoid making a right turn when joining the upwind?
If you join on a corner, you don't make a right turn. But I think the Chief Counsel has made it clear enough that right turns to join the traffic flow are not considered a violation of the spirit of 91.126(b)(1). (See Grossman or Gossman? interp last year I think.)

I tried to find something about pattern entry on your Web site but was unsuccessful.
I'm just putting together an IFR Course there. Too slowly, I admit, but other priorities have preempted me for awhile. Not giving it up though.

dtuuri

I'd love to see someone try to make a 45-degree entry to a right base at KGWS. ;)

Having done both AG low alt time sensitive and DZ high alt time sensitive ops, sometimes flying a 100% normal pattern doesnt quite work.

My cardinal rules,

1) make sure you are flying the standard traffic direction for the airport (right or left)

2) Keep your head on a swivel

3) use the radio

4) be nice

Back