Toyota is right about EVs after all...

Car can only accept 32A. So L2 will be turned down and effectively 2x faster than L1.
Wait, what?

National Electric Code says you're only allowed continuous 80% of breaker/outlet rating, so 32A charging = 40A breaker/outlet. Your L1 is 15A outlet, so max continuous is 12A.

And L2 is 240v while L1 is 120v. Therefore 240v*32A= 7680W versus 120v*12A=1440W. That's 5.3x and not 2x.

Most other manufacture's are several years behind Tesla and can't yet produce a comparable car for what it will cost them to make it. Tesla went through this point in their development over five years ago when they had no significant competition.

Tesla's market share is shrinking because they had nearly 100%. Of course it will shrink when competitors enter the market. How could it not?

All of the major manufactures are abandoning CCS1 in North America. Non-Tesla cars will come with the NACS next year. Reliable NACS charging will be a big boost to the non-Tesla models in the market. Interest rates returning to more normal levels will help them, too.

I pay $72.45/mo to insure my Tesla but I do have two young adults (21 & 23) on my insurance.
Look. I understand that every time EVs come up, it always comes down to an argument of virtues of Tesla. I have nothing against Tesla or EVs. For people that benefit from them, they are great. I realized just recently that I cannot be that person in my current situation. However, there are simple facts in play. Tesla is making less money now. Others are losing money. EV sales are — at best — slowing down. Maybe not the whole world, but definitely in US. And I’m sure that this is because there a lot more people like me than like you. And these people did the math.

Here’s an anecdote about Tesla. A friend just updated from model 3 to model Y late last year. Before they dropped price. Walked in and got one at discount. New.

He charges that thing at work for free and often drives there to leave it on charger and comes home because- his words - it’s prohibitively expensive to charge it at home

Wait, what?

National Electric Code says you're only allowed continuous 80% of breaker/outlet rating, so 32A charging = 40A breaker/outlet. Your L1 is 15A outlet, so max continuous is 12A.

And L2 is 240v while L1 is 120v. Therefore 240v*32A= 7680W versus 120v*12A=1440W. That's 5.3x and not 2x.
You are right. I forgot voltage difference

And yes. It’s 12.5A

Ok that makes more sense

There are two considerations on this topic:
1. the costs (purchase, operation, maintenance, and resale value)
2. the fun

When I bought the Tesla Y in 2020, I only focused on (2). Every single time I drive the car, it puts a smile on my face with its performance. It's like the super car I dreamed about for decades, but much better. And I get to drive it every day. An incredible feeling.

Additionally, I have not spent any money or time on maintenance in the last 3+ years and 36,000 miles, and it has averaged about 3 cents per mile to operate, and that it has enough space to have brought all landscaping supplies for our yard project, and we have camped very comfortably inside of it...

Look. I understand that every time EVs come up, it always comes down to an argument of virtues of Tesla. I have nothing against Tesla or EVs. For people that benefit from them, they are great. I realized just recently that I cannot be that person in my current situation. However, there are simple facts in play. Tesla is making less money now. Others are losing money. EV sales are — at best — slowing down. Maybe not the whole world, but definitely in US. And I’m sure that this is because there a lot more people like me than like you. And these people did the math.
Sales are not slowing, they continue to increase. It is the growth in the rate of sales that is slowing which shouldn't surprise anyone. As the industry grows, the rate of growth will moderate.

The problem I have with what you have posted is that you have misrepresenting that. You said sales were in a slump. They are not. You said that sales are slowing. They are not. Those statements are wrong and misleading.

I talk mostly about Tesla because I have a Tesla and don't have any particular interest in any other EVs. That is what I know. That is what I an interested in.

In you don't want an EV then don't buy one. If EVs aren't for you, why start a new thread posting misinformation about them?

The US is lagging most of the rest of the world in EV adoption. A big part of it is the constant misinformation that has been adopted as "common knowledge" by those who've never even sat in an EV. The woeful state of the CCS1 charging networks in the US is also a big part of it.

Here’s an anecdote about Tesla. A friend just updated from model 3 to model Y late last year. Before they dropped price. Walked in and got one at discount. New.

He charges that thing at work for free and often drives there to leave it on charger and comes home because- his words - it’s prohibitively expensive to charge it at home
That was likely from existing inventory, which is limited compared to traditional dealers. Tesla Stores, unlike other brand's dealerships, don't stock large quantities of unsold cars. The existing inventory generally comes from cancelled orders or when the buyer was unable to complete the transaction. You can search that inventory on the website and have a car shipped to your closest delivery location.

I think your friend is either doing his math wrong or is paying unusually high electrical rates (i.e. California). His Model 3 and Model Y likely have the battery pack with about 77kW of capacity (the Standard Range models are less). That's about $8.00 to charge from zero to 100% for me at home at my 10¢-10.5¢/kWh rate. I typically add about 20kW after returning from a four-day trip at work. That costs me about $2 to replace.

Many areas with very high electric rates will have either an EV charging plan or time-of-day metering with lower rates at night. He can set his car to only charge during those periods when the rate is low. I've seen some with those plans paying as little as 3¢/kWh.

There are two considerations on this topic:
1. the costs (purchase, operation, maintenance, and resale value)
2. the fun

When I bought the Tesla Y in 2020, I only focused on (2).
Very true. I've yet to meet a Tesla owner who bought it for economic or environmental reasons. Everyone buys it because of how much fun it is to drive.

I grew up in the late 1960/early 1970 watching The Jetsons, Lost in Space, and Star Trek. This is the car that I was promised as a kid.

When I bought the Tesla Y in 2020, I only focused on (2). Every single time I drive the car, it puts a smile on my face with its performance. It's like the super car I dreamed about for decades, but much better. And I get to drive it every day. An incredible feeling.
Exactly the case with our 2022 Model 3. Fastest car we‘ve ever owned, with exemplary handling. Basic Autopilot which is a boon on long road trips. We often go for drives and even trips just for the joy of it.

Also zero maintenance other than 1 set of tires at about 42k. And a rear defroster issue fixed under warranty.

We freakin’ love the car!

Sales are not slowing, they continue to increase. It is the growth in the rate of sales that is slowing which shouldn't surprise anyone. As the industry grows, the rate of growth will moderate.

The problem I have with what you have posted is that you have misrepresenting that. You said sales were in a slump. They are not. You said that sales are slowing. They are not. Those statements are wrong and misleading.

I talk mostly about Tesla because I have a Tesla and don't have any particular interest in any other EVs. That is what I know. That is what I an interested in.

In you don't want an EV then don't buy one. If EVs aren't for you, why start a new thread posting misinformation about them?

The US is lagging most of the rest of the world in EV adoption. A big part of it is the constant misinformation that has been adopted as "common knowledge" by those who've never even sat in an EV. The woeful state of the CCS1 charging networks in the US is also a big part of it.

That was likely from existing inventory, which is limited compared to traditional dealers. Tesla Stores, unlike other brand's dealerships, don't stock large quantities of unsold cars. The existing inventory generally comes from cancelled orders or when the buyer was unable to complete the transaction. You can search that inventory on the website and have a car shipped to your closest delivery location.

I think your friend is either doing his math wrong or is paying unusually high electrical rates (i.e. California). His Model 3 and Model Y likely have the battery pack with about 77kW of capacity (the Standard Range models are less). That's about $8.00 to charge from zero to 100% for me at home at my 10¢-10.5¢/kWh rate. I typically add about 20kW after returning from a four-day trip at work. That costs me about $2 to replace.

Many areas with very high electric rates will have either an EV charging plan or time-of-day metering with lower rates at night. He can set his car to only charge during those periods when the rate is low. I've seen some with those plans paying as little as 3¢/kWh.
You're right. We all don't get it. We all definitely doing it wrong and should be like you. I apologize.

• Tesla gross profit for the quarter ending December 31, 2023 was $4.438B, a 23.18% decline year-over-year.
  • Tesla gross profit for the twelve months ending December 31, 2023 was $17.660B, a 15.31% decline year-over-year.
  • Tesla annual gross profit for 2023 was $17.66B, a 15.31% decline from 2022.
  • Tesla annual gross profit for 2022 was $20.853B, a 53.26% increase from 2021.
  • Tesla annual gross profit for 2021 was $13.606B, a 105.22% increase from 2020.

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/TM/toyota/gross-profit
  • Toyota gross profit for the quarter ending December 31, 2023 was $18.260B, a 33.03% increase year-over-year.
  • Toyota gross profit for the twelve months ending December 31, 2023 was $61.699B, a 33.25% increase year-over-year.
  • Toyota annual gross profit for 2023 was $46.716B, a 12.1% decline from 2022.
  • Toyota annual gross profit for 2022 was $53.148B, a 17% increase from 2021
  • Toyota annual gross profit for 2021 was $45.424B, a 8.7% decline from 2020.

I've come close to the pacifica PHEV once or twice. I'm still in a Chrysler "never again" holding pattern. Hoping yours lasts long. :)
My favorite woman has a 2017 Pacifica. Normal IC version. Has more electrical issues than Apollo 1. The hood is rusting through. Transmission is glitchy.

She and the grandkids love the slider doors (when they work) and the seat back video.

I will say the stow-and-go seating (tug on a loop and the seats do a flip and disappear into the floor) is genius.

I can barely tolerate the rest of the car. Why on earth must the radio come on every time you start the car? You have to mute it manually. Who thought that up?

You're right. We all don't get it. We all definitely doing it wrong and should be like you. I apologize.

• Tesla gross profit for the quarter ending December 31, 2023 was $4.438B, a 23.18% decline year-over-year.
  • Tesla gross profit for the twelve months ending December 31, 2023 was $17.660B, a 15.31% decline year-over-year.
  • Tesla annual gross profit for 2023 was $17.66B, a 15.31% decline from 2022.
  • Tesla annual gross profit for 2022 was $20.853B, a 53.26% increase from 2021.
  • Tesla annual gross profit for 2021 was $13.606B, a 105.22% increase from 2020.
Revenue (Sales) <> Gross Profit.

GP is down because Tesla stopped taking price to put the hurt on competitors, and to keep sales $$ up as other maufacturers come online.

2023 revenue was still up nearly 19% year over year.

Revenue Growth Rate is slowing, which is not unexpected.

• Tesla revenue for the quarter ending December 31, 2023 was $25.167B, a 3.49% increase year-over-year.
  • Tesla revenue for the twelve months ending December 31, 2023 was $96.773B, a 18.8% increase year-over-year.
  • Tesla annual revenue for 2023 was $96.773B, a 18.8% increase from 2022.
  • Tesla annual revenue for 2022 was $81.462B, a 51.35% increase from 2021.
  • Tesla annual revenue for 2021 was $53.823B, a 70.67% increase from 2020.

Revenue (Sales) <> Gross Profit.

GP is down because Tesla stopped taking price to put the hurt on competitors, and to keep sales $$ up as other maufacturers come online.

2023 revenue was still up nearly 19% year over year.

Revenue Growth Rate is slowing, which is not unexpected.

• Tesla revenue for the quarter ending December 31, 2023 was $25.167B, a 3.49% increase year-over-year.
  • Tesla revenue for the twelve months ending December 31, 2023 was $96.773B, a 18.8% increase year-over-year.
  • Tesla annual revenue for 2023 was $96.773B, a 18.8% increase from 2022.
  • Tesla annual revenue for 2022 was $81.462B, a 51.35% increase from 2021.
  • Tesla annual revenue for 2021 was $53.823B, a 70.67% increase from 2020.
You are correct. But also not giving complete data. Tesla 2023 revenue is up 19% over 2022. But its Q4 2023 is up only 3.5% over Q4 2022. This says to me that Q4 was a lot worse than rest of the year. These numbers were below expectations btw

They had to lower their prices to keep selling cars. There are number of reasons for that and not all EV related. Others are fairing a lot worse even if some here choose to think Tesla is the only one that matters

In contrast, Toyota(all ICE/Hybrids) revenue is trending up in q4 2023 - 18% increase (more than previous 12 months)

These are global numbers, so not sure how that translates to US market

I - and lots of headlines- stand by my slump statement. It may not be in decline yet as far as units sold(drop price far enough and anything will sell), but late 2023 financial numbers are definitely not pretty

Last edited:
I still want one. Need to get out into the suburbs first, though.

We all definitely doing it wrong and should be like you. I apologize.
I have repeatedly and specifically said just the opposite and have said so to you in particular.

If you don't want a Tesla, don't buy a Tesla.
If you don't want an EV, don't buy an EV.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy an EV. I only reply to the EV detractors, like yourself, when they post inaccurate or misleading information. I have started exactly zero threads promoting EVs.

In my first reply to you in this thread, after pointing out the misinformation in your first post, I agreed with you about hybrids saying, "Hybrids are very efficient, PHEVs even more so. They are an excellent choice for those who want efficiency but not an EV."

A few observations. I like the car. Pretty economical compared to gas car. Being an FCA product(my first), I'm not sure this is going to get me any savings in the long run as far as reliability, but what's done is done.
As a once and never will again Chrysler owner, I wish you well, and I hope you have a better experience.

While we were on vacation last year, we rented a "mild hybrid":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Grand_Vitara_(2022)

It was really slick. Integrated starter/generator, six speed manual. Tiny battery; 12V 6Ah. My electric lawnmower might have a bigger battery.

It was unintuitive at first- it has visual cues on when it thinks you should shift, which were always way lower rpm than when my ears told me to shift. Turns out, the electric motor helps out with the low end.

Cheap and cute, available in Europe but not here. Why?
If I could get a hybrid with a manual transmission, I would absolutely have one.

My Electric bill seems to average around $0.12-0.13/kWh. However, OK is also typically one of the cheaper states for auto fuel as well (regular grade fuel around $2.50/gal), so payback on an EV takes quite a bit over an equivalent ICE. Without heavy tax subsidies, it doesn't make much financial sense to spend the premium for a Tesla Model 3 ($40K) vs a Honda Accord Hybrid ($32K) or similar. Tough to eek out gains on electric savings vs a Hybrid (or even pure ICE) getting 40+mpg. That works out to something like $300-400/yr in fuel savings by going EV @ 12K miles/year. In a decade and a half it'll break even!
That's about what I found when I car-shopped two years ago. The break-even point on an EV worked out to somewhere around 175k miles, so with the inconvenience factor it just won't work for me.

I think that much of the US has a very different driving use case than the rest of the world. Note that the entire UK main island is narrower than the width of North Carolina. There is almost no single drive distance in the UK that can't be covered by a current EV; the same cannot be said for Texas, much less the US. Using myself as an example, we have a farm in Wisconsin, a condo in Houston, and a rental apartment in North Carolina (conveniently located near extended family and my son's university). Until I can fly myself, I have to make those drives occasionally, and an EV just isn't up to the task without adding massive amounts of unproductive time to the trip.

To make matters worse, we only have a 100A service at the farm, and the garage and barn where we park are both detached. Upgrading to a large enough main service to handle EV charging and then trenching and running larger wire to the outbuildings is a significant project, at more than $10K. No chance of at-home charging at the North Carolina apartment, and a modest service upgrade and trenching to the detached garage would be required at the Houston condo. Add all of that to that the higher initial cost, and it just makes no sense for us.

My daughter is happy with her Model Y, however, and it works great as an around-town kid hauler.

Being an FCA product(my first), I'm not sure this is going to get me any savings in the long run as far as reliability, but what's done is done.

I would never have expected this to be the case 20 years ago, but the only new 4-wheeled vehicles I've purchased personally have ended up being FCA (now Stelantis) products - first my 2004.5 Ram, then my 2017 Ram, my wife's 2022 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, and then most recently our 2023 Jeep Gladiator.

I'm by no means a Mopar/Chrysler/Jeep fanboy, so those purchases were decided because they otherwise fit what we wanted for whatever reason. We outright bought the Alfa expecting it to be extremely unreliable and spend a lot of time in the shop.

I sold my 2004 Ram at 108k miles and never changed anything besides fluid and the serpentine belt. It even had the original tires. Visited the dealer once under warranty for a recall, and once for the alignment not being right (although that might've had to do with me pulling it out of being stuck with a school bus, a story for another day). My 2017 has a problem with the ABS module, a known/documented issue but otherwise has had a couple of recalls at the dealer and that's it, just change fluids. The Alfa about the same - it had a battery randomly dying issue and the dealer replaced the battery, seems to have fixed it, otherwise we're at something around 23k miles and only oil changes. And the Jeep doesn't even have 2k miles on it but so far so good.

Stelantis management did a big push on quality a few years back because the poor reputation was deserved. Initial quality on all of their brands has gone up significantly. Yeah, it's a JD Power rating so read into that as you will, but so far we're happy with ours. Hopefully you have a similar experience.

If people enjoy EVs, have a good use case, whatever, fine. Enjoy. But my tax dollars shouldn’t help pay for their personal choice.
This, precisely. I'm in favor of EV development, as I look forward to a day where I can have an electric sportscar that weighs the same as today's 911 or 'Vette, and charges in less than 5 minutes. Let's make sure that the development is being driven (and funded) by market drivers, not government fiat.

Divorce proceedings will begin when (if) the gov’t subsidy ends.

If people enjoy EVs, have a good use case, whatever, fine. Enjoy. But my tax dollars shouldn’t help pay for their personal choice.
I agree. But, fact is the govt thinks we have a CO2 problem so the most eco friendly path forward is to subsidize EVs. I don’t agree with that because an all EV fleet will barely make a dent in helping the planet.

Even the tax incentives for EVs but not ICE I don’t agree with. Then again, they’ve put so many restrictions on it, I don’t even qualify for the break. My next car will most likely be another EV but that has nothing to do with the govt helping me. Prices are starting to come down even without tax incentives.

I'm just here for the lady doth protest too much copium. Oh and everybody knows if you're a vegan Tesla driving pilot, you can't work at Southwest, or you are in the closet about it. In fairness, neither could I, seeing as I drive a base trim Hyundai ICE, which apparently is the marquee of a liberal-#ss soiboi :fingerwag:

That's about what I found when I car-shopped two years ago. The break-even point on an EV worked out to somewhere around 175k miles, so with the inconvenience factor it just won't work for me.

I think that much of the US has a very different driving use case than the rest of the world. Note that the entire UK main island is narrower than the width of North Carolina. There is almost no single drive distance in the UK that can't be covered by a current EV; the same cannot be said for Texas, much less the US. Using myself as an example, we have a farm in Wisconsin, a condo in Houston, and a rental apartment in North Carolina (conveniently located near extended family and my son's university). Until I can fly myself, I have to make those drives occasionally, and an EV just isn't up to the task without adding massive amounts of unproductive time to the trip.

To make matters worse, we only have a 100A service at the farm, and the garage and barn where we park are both detached. Upgrading to a large enough main service to handle EV charging and then trenching and running larger wire to the outbuildings is a significant project, at more than $10K. No chance of at-home charging at the North Carolina apartment, and a modest service upgrade and trenching to the detached garage would be required at the Houston condo. Add all of that to that the higher initial cost, and it just makes no sense for us.

My daughter is happy with her Model Y, however, and it works great as an around-town kid hauler.
An EV would work well in our 2-car household. The commute that my wife and I do each day is roughly 40 miles/day each. I may run home or do odd errands, take kids to sports practices, but rarely do I drive over 100 miles in a day during the week. Pretty much every EV out there would suit that purpose. I'd hate it for long trips, but in a 2-car household where one vehicle remains ICE, it'd be an easy swap. In our case, I'd keep the diesel Excursion as a tow vehicle/heavy hauler/long trip option and trade out the wife's V-series Caddy CTS for the EV. We have an attached garage I had built a few years back, and I had a 220 welder outlet put in at that time, so it's already set up for L2 charging. However, the numbers just don't make sense financially for it at the moment and driving an EV isn't high on our lifetime priority lists, lol.

I'm also not a fan of the gov't subsidizing EV tech (or really most anything that the free market can do), but that's another discussion altogether.

I agree. But, fact is the govt thinks we have a CO2 problem so the most eco friendly path forward is to subsidize EVs.
I disagree that subsidizing EVs is the most eco friendly path.

Taking greenhouse gasses as an a priori problem statement, the real issue is not that we burn hydrocarbons for transportation fuel. The issue is that the hydrocarbons we are burning come from fossil fuels, which releases carbon that has been sequestered for millions of years.

If the fuel we use comes from existing atmospheric CO2 or other non-fossil-fuel carbon sources, it does not have the effect of increasing atmospheric carbon.

Option 1) Bio-diesel. This fuel comes from plants, which collect their carbon from atmospheric CO2. Thus, all of the CO and CO2 that bio-diesel releases came from the atmosphere when the plants grew - it's a net zero impact process.

Option 2) Synthetic gasoline. As with bio-diesel, synthetic gasoline uses plant sources (green ethanol) combined with atmospheric gasses to create a net-zero fuel. It's a proven process that will work with the entire existing automotive fleet, and requires no modifications to cars that currently use street gas as fuel. Production is just now starting up for commercial quantities, and Formula One has mandated the use of this fuel starting in 2026. Work is underway to prove it out for airplanes, too.

Both of these are better options for long-distance transportation than EVs. EVs are still a good fit for urban commuting, but they're only part of the solution set.

Last edited:

Taking greenhouse gasses as an a priori problem statement, the real issue is not that we burn hydrocarbons for transportation fuel. The issue is that the hydrocarbons we are burning come from fossil fuels, which releases carbon that has been sequestered for millions of years.

If the fuel we use comes from existing atmospheric CO2 or other non-fossil-fuel carbon sources, it does not have the effect of increasing atmospheric carbon.

Option 1) Bio-diesel. This fuel comes from plants, which collect their carbon from atmospheric CO2. Thus, all of the CO and CO2 that bio-diesel releases came from the atmosphere when the plants grew - it's a net zero impact process.

Option 2) Synthetic gasoline. As with bio-diesel, synthetic gasoline uses plant sources (green ethanol) combined with atmospheric gasses to create a net-zero fuel. It's a proven process that will work with the entire existing automotive fleet, and requires no modifications to cars that currently use street gas as fuel. Production is just now starting up for commercial quantities, and Formula One has mandated the use of this fuel starting in 2026. Work is underway to prove it our for airplanes, too.

Both of these are better options for long-distance transportation than EVs. EVs are still a good fit for urban commuting, but they're only part of the solution set.
Oh I don’t disagree with any of this. I’m just saying the govt is pushing EVs as a panacea. Hence the subsidies.

I'm just here for the lady doth protest too much copium. Oh and everybody knows if you're a vegan Tesla driving pilot, you can't work at Southwest, or you are in the closet about it. In fairness, neither could I, seeing as I drive a base trim Hyundai ICE, which apparently is the marquee of a liberal-#ss soiboi :fingerwag:
You too? :biggrin:

That said, I would love it if our Forester got destroyed in an acid pit* so I could replace it with a Niro EV or similar for doing laps in the neighborhood pattern for kid/grocery/dog taxi duty.

*(attention, future screenwriters: don't kill Optimus Prime, Ironhide, KITT, or the robot from Deadly Friend)

I'm also not a fan of the gov't subsidizing EV tech (or really most anything that the free market can do), but that's another discussion altogether.
Markets are terrible at correcting things that are external costs. The pollution pumped into the air, ground and streams is free to the companies producing products, so they can make products more cheaply than companies making less pollution. But that pollution does still exist and does still matter, so the EPA was created to make rules that markets didn't make. And tax codes are created to level the playing field between polluting and less polluting options. Markets are fine for many things, but putting a dent in pollution isn't one of them. Another example is patent law. Markets don't protect the investment made to create a new technology. As soon as the hard work is done, someone else can copy it and sell it less expensively because they didn't have to spend millions or billions developing the patented technology. So patents were create to protect and encourage those investments since markets don't. Same with copyright.

A laissez-faire system would be a nightmare. No investments would ever be made into creating new things. Everything would be polluted AF, because that's the cheapest thing to do. No music/books/movies/tv would be created because there would be no way to get the investment back.

I was really sad that this note didn't end with a suggestion that we start building wood burning cars. :D

Last edited:
But my tax dollars shouldn’t help pay for their personal choice.
Exactly. The government shouldn't be picking winners and losers. That's what the market is for. The government almost always gets it wrong.

Current EV credits depend on the source (US vs import) of the batteries. This results in the company that is doing the most to ramp up US battery production losing its credit on some models because their production has grown faster than the country's ability to produce batteries.

They are trying to encourage US battery production by pulling the credits from the company that is driving the build-out of US battery production facilities. It makes no sense.

Markets are terrible at correcting things that are external costs. The pollution pumped into the air, ground and streams is free to the companies producing products, so they can make products more cheaply than companies making less pollution. But that pollution does still exist and does still matter, so the EPA was created to make rules that markets didn't make. And tax codes are created to level the playing field between polluting and less polluting options. Markets are fine for many things, but putting a dent in pollution isn't one of them. Another example is patent law. Markets don't protect the investment made to create a new technology. As soon as the hard work is done, someone else can copy it and sell it less expensively because they didn't have to spend millions or billions developing the patented technology. So patents were create to protect and encourage those investments since markets don't. Same with copyright.

A laissez-faire system would be a nightmare. No investments would ever be made into creating new things. Everything would be polluted AF, because that's the cheapest thing to do. No music/books/movies/tv would be created because there would be no way to get the investment back.
Again, I didn't say that there should be no gov't regulation. I said that I don't like gov't subsidizing things, especially when they typically often put in policies that have unintended consequences. They'll be all-in on EVs until we have some new environmental discovery that mining for battery materials, or battery disposal efforts are poisoning ground water, or they can't recycle them as effectively as they were led to believe. Then we have power distribution/capacity issues that weren't dealt with timely, then they start objecting to the pollution from all the power plants being concentrated in those areas (typically poorer/disadvantaged areas), which raises more societal issues. Nothing is without consequences. The gov't bureaucracy is often not the best mechanism for dabbling in free market technologies. No one mentioned patents and copywrite law, so I'm not sure why that's germane to the discussion.

Music, books, entertainment all existed before the US Gov't began, so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

Divorce proceedings will begin when (if) the gov’t subsidy ends.

Apartment dwellers might ask you how that home mortgage interest deduction worked out for you.

Straw man. Not even Elon sees it as a panacea. More like an arrow in the quiver.
No it’s not. Elon has stated that he’s not going to stop until all vehicles on the road are EVs.

Music, books, entertainment all existed before the US Gov't began, so I'm not sure where you're going with that.
I thought it was obvious. Without copyright, people would be free to copy works thus eliminating (or at least greatly reducing) the possibility of getting new works produced because who in their right mind would invest a million bucks in a movie (or half a billion, as some of the newest blockbusters cost) if they can't recoup that investment. Indeed, this is exactly what happened when the printing press was invented in the 1400's with authors being paid essentially a delivery fee and no residuals, because everything was immediately copied using the new technology.

There have been various forms of copyright protection going all the was back to the ancient greeks, two thousand years before the printing press. There have been notions of it in talmudic law as well. But, yes, something we would recognize as modern copyright became internationally popular in the 1700's because markets weren't working to protect the rights of authors in the new era of technology.

No one mentioned patents and copywrite law, so I'm not sure why that's germane to the discussion.
You said you prefer market approaches over government ones. Just pointing out that the government involvement in solving problems where markets fail isn't limited to just subsidies and I find it weird that people get offended by that notion of putting a thumb on the scale but are fine with others. The FDA, as yet another example, only exists because markets don't work so the government had to step in because markets were insufficient to assure drug safety. Modern society doesn't function without governments doing things that markets are incapable of doing themselves.

Apartment dwellers might ask you how that home mortgage interest deduction worked out for you.
Mortage interest on apartment building loan aren’t tax deductible?

Back