Towing trailer from CO to OSH...any good stops

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
My family of 4 is going for 9 day trip to OSH and back leaving this thursday pulling our little camper. Going across Nebraska and Iowa along I-80. Anyone know of any stops I shouldn't pass up or good places to stop for night. Barbecue is a weakness of mine and it will break the monotony of sandwiches.

Thursday night I intend on driving from Steamboat to Sidney, NE and stopping at Walmart for sleeping. After that nothing scheduled.

Gonna be bringing dogs till western Wisconsin. Does anyone know of a good kennel or place to board them while we're in OSH?

Thanks

Last edited:
If you're overnighting in Sidney, check out Cabela's ... they have a campground/rv sites. Not free like Walmart, but maybe there's some discounts available with purchase of stuff one cannot live without.

My family of 4 is going for 9 day trip to OSH and back leaving this thursday pulling our little camper. Going across Nebraska and Iowa along I-80. Anyone know of any stops I shouldn't pass up or good places to stop for night. Barbecue is a weakness of mine and it will break the monotony of sandwiches.

Thursday night I intend on driving from Steamboat to Sidney, NE and stopping at Walmart for sleeping. After that nothing scheduled.

Gonna be bringing dogs till western Wisconsin. Does anyone know of a good kennel or place to board them while we're in OSH?

Thanks

Duncan Aviation is a cool place to see or:

http://www.sasmuseum.com/ is one the best air museums I've been to, both near Lincoln NE.

Scottsbluff NE has a great steak house near a little Mom & Pop motel (The Candle Light inn maybe? Dunno, been a few years). No idea about trailer accommodations though as I've only flown in.

Keeping notes, I have heard the air museum around lincoln is nice!

I told my son he has graduated up to a good rod and reel and plan on stopping there for sure.

Thanks all, looking forward to all the suggestions.

Scottsbluff NE has a great steak house near a little Mom & Pop motel (The Candle Light inn maybe? Dunno, been a few years). No idea about trailer accommodations though as I've only flown in.

Worth the flight though? I game for that any time for lunch, I like to eat.:yes:

IMHO, it would be worth the $100 hamburger flight. Not sure about ground transport though. The times I've been there, we've been staying the night and the motel keeps a couple of cars at the FBO. Not sure if the FBO has a crew car or not.

For us, it has been a place to stop for the night on our return from OSH to the Peoples Republic of the Left Coast.

Sure thing. The motel was reasonably priced the last time I was there. Run by a husband/wife team and they do a buffet breakfast. There's also (at least as of a couple years back) a Mexican food place across the street.

I recall Avgas being a tad pricier but the FBO service was good. Nice airport and some cool scenery once you see the bluffs. We stumbled upon Scotts Bluff back in 2003, my first year at Oshkosh, on the return flight to CA. Since then, we do what we can to stop by there on the return flight. Not always possible but the steak house and motel sold us. At the steak house, you can eat peanuts and toss the shells on the floor...what's not to love? Oh, discovered Fat Tire beer there as well :p

Keeping notes, I have heard the air museum around lincoln is nice!

I told my son he has graduated up to a good rod and reel and plan on stopping there for sure.

Thanks all, looking forward to all the suggestions.

Strategic Air Command museum about 25 miles east of Lincoln. You can touch an SR-71 Blackbird. :D

Ole's Big Game Steak House & Bar is a must see and place to eat ( good food) just all kinds of stuffed animals. Polar bear! Animals from 5 continents. It is off of I80 in Paxton, NE

Stop at the "Arch" in Kearney, NE. It is a museum about how the west was settled. You can't miss it, it literally spans the interstate, but you will have to take the exit 1 mile west. Pretty cool.

A place for GOOD BBQ is Chez Bubba, Goehner, NE. Small town bar / grill with a passion for BBQ. Just off the interstate a mile or so.

A good barbeque place in Lincoln is Famous Dave's.

Last edited:
Ole's Big Game Steak House & Bar is a must see and place to eat ( good food) just all kinds of stuffed animals. Polar bear! Animals from 5 continents. It is off of I80 in Paxton, NE

Stop at the "Arch" in Kearney, NE. It is a museum about how the west was settled. You can't miss it, it literally spans the interstate, but you will have to take the exit 1 mile west. Pretty cool.

A place for GOOD BBQ is Chez Bubba, Goehner, NE. Small town bar / grill with a passion for BBQ. Just off the interstate a mile or so.

A good barbeque place in Lincoln is Famous Dave's.

Perfect, Nebraska getting pretty well covered. Iowa, well theres corn and I hope to take kids to "Field of Dreams" site. Accidently ran across it driving back from my first OSH 13-14 years ago. It is a moving scene especially in the evening when no one was there and corn was high.

field of dreams is pretty cool.

living history farms on the west side of Des Moines is pretty neat too and right off the interstate

Sure thing. The motel was reasonably priced the last time I was there. Run by a husband/wife team and they do a buffet breakfast. There's also (at least as of a couple years back) a Mexican food place across the street.

I recall Avgas being a tad pricier but the FBO service was good. Nice airport and some cool scenery once you see the bluffs. We stumbled upon Scotts Bluff back in 2003, my first year at Oshkosh, on the return flight to CA. Since then, we do what we can to stop by there on the return flight. Not always possible but the steak house and motel sold us. At the steak house, you can eat peanuts and toss the shells on the floor...what's not to love? Oh, discovered Fat Tire beer there as well :p

Scottsbluff update: The Candle Light Motel has changed hands and hasn't received such great reviews under the new owners. That nearby steak house is Whiskey Creek. There also is a Whiskey Creek in Kearney, NE. Scottsbluff/Gering has a new place called the Steel Grill which has received good reviews.

Now back to your regular thread content.

Scott

Bleh...too bad re: new motel ownership. IIRC, there were a few other motel choices, not sure if any of them have courtesy cars at the airport though.

Whiskey Creek...mmmmm. Made even better by the fact you can eat peanuts and toss the shells on the floor. Good stuff.

Last night on the road you might consider Pipestone NM. Interesting stop and close enough to OSH to make an easy morning final approach.

Last night on the road you might consider Pipestone NM. Interesting stop and close enough to OSH to make an easy morning final approach.

Pretty sure he leaves CO headed east he won't be going through NM. ;)

Time get some pickled wieners, diet chocolate soda, go find Bernie, and cue up a favorite Weird Al song...

http://youtu.be/yp9yqLbJ4Wk

Last edited:

Pretty sure he leaves CO headed east he won't be going through NM. ;)

That'd be Pipestone, MN - Not NM. I was confused too until I saw the "close enough to OSH" comment and remembered the existence of Pipestone, MN. ;)

Back