Tough week at Cedar Key

Everyone needs a hobby, I guess. ;)

I was leaning towards some emergency landing gone wrong - until I read about his Commander crash landing.

On one hand, I feel sorry for the guy, on the other hand I wonder why pilots keep going into places which are obviously beyond their skill level!?

A few days ago I stumbled across this video. Gladly it ended well, but not with much of a margin:

Why? Seriously. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, you'd think.
Also, no one seems to know why 5 is now displaced - just suddenly appeared when they recently resurfaced.

It looks like everybody has to back taxi there. Couldn't they have spent a few extra bucks and made a connecting taxiway down by the 23 numbers? Seems silly.

It looks like everybody has to back taxi there. Couldn't they have spent a few extra bucks and made a connecting taxiway down by the 23 numbers? Seems silly.

To connect to what ? The public highway ?

That side road is indeed a public road with residences connecting. Taxiway not an option.

That side road is indeed a public road with residences connecting. Taxiway not an option.

And it used to be a taxiway. Or so I was told by an old timer. Before they put up the fence they had warnings to not use it as a taxiway.

Taxi back on runway - the sandy areas are a bit treacherous for getting mired down in the sand.

.....and the sand Spurs and little cacti are in abundance. Wear good shoes if venturing off the pavement

The same reason a person would not know that the landing gear is still up.

Well I can see missing gear before this

image.jpg

The guy doesn't say "chit" until the brakes are already locked up, I'd think most here would be saying "chit" probably well before this screen shot.

Last edited:
Well I can see missing gear before this

image.jpg

The guy doesn't say "chit" until the brakes are already locked up, I'd think most here would be saying "chit" probably well before this screen shot.

Yeah, he floated 3/4 down the runway before getting down. Any sane person would have been out of there for another try.

...on the other hand I wonder why pilots keep going into places which are obviously beyond their skill level!?

A few days ago I stumbled across this video. Gladly it ended well, but not with much of a margin:

Kinda like the guy who landed at Gaston's on Saturday while we were all watching...

...wrong way on a one way field (the least egregious error).

...10 kt tailwind.

...likely 10 kts (or more) too fast on the approach.

He floated over 1/2 way down a 3200' runway. Numerous people were mumbling "go around...go around...go around..."

He didn't.

Yes, he got it stopped before the end. Freakin' barely.

But we were all waiting to see it disappear as it dropped off the 30' slope at the end of 06.

The make/model is proprietary information and shall be known by witnesses only! :)

Reactions: YKA
Yeah, he floated 3/4 down the runway before getting down. Any sane person would have been out of there for another try.

Every knot of extra speed in a Mooney is another 100 feet of floating. He was way too fast on final. If you get proper training in a Mooney they teach you proper speed control. I own a Mooney and have landed at Cedar Key many times with plenty of runway to spare. 10 knots too fast and you need another 1000 feet and you better not try to force the plane to land or it will bounce and you'll have a prop strike in short order. You are correct, he should have realized he was fast on final and gone around for another try

Every knot of extra speed in a Mooney is another 100 feet of floating. He was way too fast on final. If you get proper training in a Mooney they teach you proper speed control. I own a Mooney and have landed at Cedar Key many times with plenty of runway to spare. 10 knots too fast and you need another 1000 feet and you better not try to force the plane to land or it will bounce and you'll have a prop strike in short order. You are correct, he should have realized he was fast on final and gone around for another try

I think one of the problems is this mindset that special speed control training is something you need to seek out, heck speed control is the same, and just as important on a J3 cub. The issue is the self licking icecream cone of CFIs being scared of getting "too slow" and installing that on the next generation, we end up with tons of folks shooting approaches in a 172 or M20 that might even be above VREF for many turboprops.

Reactions: YKA
If by chance the plane had the 180 Upgrade, then it would be limited to 30degee flaps.

My C175 has a 180hp upgrade, and maintains 40 degrees flaps. I think it depends on the STC, and whether it includes a gross weight increase. If converting one today, I wouldn't limit the flap travel. Why limit the planes ability for a paper gross weight increase?
180hp, and 40 degrees flaps makes for very short landings.
Dave
You could be right, but my recollection was for 172s, which is what we are talking about here.
But as I said, you could be right. I am not certain enough to argue the point.

ANOTHER SMALL PLANE LANDS
IN CEDAR KEY MARSH

October 19, 2016

Plane6598_xe.JPG

In the marsh north of the airport, a single-engine airplane landed at approximately 7:30 this morning, October 19. This, after another plane landed at the south of the runway on Saturday, October 15.

Police Chief Virgil Sandlin and Fire Chief Robert Robinson responded immediately and brought the three travelers to land. No one was serously injured.

No flaps? "Another small plane lands in cedar key marsh." Maybe he landed in the marsh after a takeoff gone bad. Do we know it was a "landing" accident? Maybe a go around and he dumped all the flaps at once? Is there any more information on what happened?

The flight instructors like to get on the radio to rib each other when they see one coming into land.... "Hey, you look pretty high on that approach. But don't worry, you have plenty of airspeed..."

Coming in high and slow, power out with energy management, forward to side, and variable flaps, is a far more valuable skill than a monkey see, monkey do, just play with the throttle, paint by numbers "stabilized" approach.

Why? Seriously. :(

Here's another one I found while looking for 24A landing videos (plan to go there soon):
People just don't like go-arounds anymore :confused2:...

I think one of the problems is this mindset that special speed control training is something you need to seek out, heck speed control is the same, and just as important on a J3 cub.

You're absolutely right, but planes like a 172 are very forgiving, and allow people to think they can salvage a bad approach when they move up to slicker aircraft. Over the fence at 80kts in a 172 ain't no thing, pull the throttle, make sure the barn door flaps are out, and you're landing. A little long, but you're landing. 80 over the fence in a M20 means you're ground effect floating to the next county!

Here's another one I found while looking for 24A landing videos (plan to go there soon):
People just don't like go-arounds anymore :confused2:...

Or slips or keeping their paint nice ;)

From the synopsis of the NTSB (ERA17LA024) regarding N1827Y:

"According to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) records, the pilot's certificate status was "revoked." He had held a commercial pilot certificate with ratings for airplane single and multiengine land, and instrument airplane. He also held private pilot certificate privileges for airplane single engine sea. His most recent third-class medical certificate was issued in January 2009, at which time he reported a total of 1,800 flight hours of experience."

Mmm, mmm, mmm.

From the synopsis of the NTSB (ERA17LA024) regarding N1827Y:

"According to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) records, the pilot's certificate status was "revoked." He had held a commercial pilot certificate with ratings for airplane single and multiengine land, and instrument airplane. He also held private pilot certificate privileges for airplane single engine sea. His most recent third-class medical certificate was issued in January 2009, at which time he reported a total of 1,800 flight hours of experience."

No valid certificate and no valid medical. Would love to know why he lost certificate and cause of this landing.

Back