• Not Sure

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Richard Clark

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Richard
Like most of us, I'm used to Garmin 430 and 530's in the cockpit. I like the tactile interface of switches and knobs that give me assurance in the selection process. I also use my ipad mini with Foreflight but obviously not for primary navigation.

While I haven't flown with the new Garmin GTN's in the panel, I imagine that the touchscreen would be problematic under turbulence. It seems that touchscreen is the way of the future but I'm not sure it's a good thing.

My question is general in nature. If you have flown with touchscreen panels in the cockpit, how do you feel about it and is it better than the knobs and switches most of us learned on?

I've got about 500 hours of ipad and iPhone touchscreen experience in aircraft and cars and do not want to trade for knobs, does that count?

o_O Uh, no. Bad roads do not count as turbulence.

yes I'm a fan. I fly a cherokee 180 with a 650 in it and in my opinion I want touchscreen with buttons and knobs as backups. there are definitely times when the knob is easier to use (in turbulence) but overall the touchscreen is the way to go.

All you have to do is anchor your hand to stabilize your fingers on the touch screens. Not a problem. At least with the newer touch screens (capacitive versus the older resistive type). I think I have that right. It's well demonstrated by the difference between a basic Garmin Aera and a G3X Touch. The screen's response is different with the newer screens.

It is going to be a learning curve for sure your I pad does not run everthing your gps on approach does

I prefer non touch screen but if it's the only thing available, I'll take it.

I recently put a 750 in the airplane. I fly in a lot of turbulence and still use the touchscreen to set frees. I have not learned the knob routine. It does take some patience and practice.

I have 150hrs behind a GTN650 and haven't found the touch screen to be a problem. The turbulence issue is way overstated IMO.

When it's bumpy it's tougher to put in a radio frequency or even switch them even with a knob. Touch screens have a deep bezel to anchor your hand on while touching what you need. Tablets EFBs are touch and most have them now. Odd few complain using them in the bumps.

I can live with both, given the choice, I'd pick having a physical knob or switch, but the problems with touchscreens are not insurmountable in any way. I've definitely had the random time or two that getting to the correct page on the iPad in bumps was thwarted by the "target practice" user interface, but it's a minor problem solved by "shooting" better.

I have flown exactly twice with 750 and 650, both times I asked 2 different CFI the same question, both said the bezel is there to anchor in turbulance and u get used to it. Both recommends it over older versions

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I wonder if people in Garmin's UX team have actually flown in a light aircraft in bumpy air.

It is like my old blackberry...Gawd I miss that keyboard but the exponentially improved available features of the iPhone far outweigh the benefits of not having the physical buttons.

Garmin GTN series... you can do critical functions from the knobs and buttons. If the transponder and audio panel are the remote type and not panel mount, that could add a hint of more difficulty, but not much.

I have a GTN650 and have used it in turbulent air. It can be a little frustrating at times when you go to input something and you hit a bump that sends your hand flying, but I manage that and have no issues. I wouldn't go back to a GNS430W like I had in the Mooney. The GTN takes a little more finger tip pressure to activate something unlike an i**** that activates with a simple brush of the screen. Using the iPad mini in turbulence is more frustrating to me than the GTN is.

Cheers,
Brian

My question is general in nature. If you have flown with touchscreen panels in the cockpit, how do you feel about it and is it better than the knobs and switches most of us learned on?

I had a 430 (which I upgraded to a 430w) in the Cessna 182RG that I flew for about 15 years. I wanted to put a 400w in the new plane but couldn't find one for what I thought was a reasonable price. I ended up installing a GTN625. It's okay. It has a raised ledge around the screen which act as a finger rest that helps stabilize your hand. Works pretty well. You can also still use knobs and buttons for some functions.

The thing (for me) that is most daunting is the change in the user interface.

Back