Totally not aviation related. A ? for a sound guru.

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
I'm an inquisitive guy, and I know a lot of things about a lot of things.
Most of it is useless information. Ken Jennings, I'm coming for you.
I like learning about totally random things, just to learn about them.
But sometimes, I don't even know what something is called, so I don't know how to search for it.
Hence this post.
It's a sound technique. You have heard it used in music, TV and films.
It's often a single sound that starts soft and over time gets louder. There may be a second sound that gets repeated, faster and faster, until the entire thing crescendos. You often find it used in videos where they flash images, faster and faster until the crescendo.
Anyone know what that technique is called? I'm sure it must have a name, but I don't know what it is, and I don't even have the language to form the question.
Anyone?

Know someone on another board that is involved in the film industry. I'll drop him a note and see what he says.

do u have an example, like from a video or something?

I'm an inquisitive guy, and I know a lot of things about a lot of things.
Most of it is useless information. Ken Jennings, I'm coming for you.
I like learning about totally random things, just to learn about them.
But sometimes, I don't even know what something is called, so I don't know how to search for it.
Hence this post.
It's a sound technique. You have heard it used in music, TV and films.
It's often a single sound that starts soft and over time gets louder. There may be a second sound that gets repeated, faster and faster, until the entire thing crescendos. You often find it used in videos where they flash images, faster and faster until the crescendo.
Anyone know what that technique is called? I'm sure it must have a name, but I don't know what it is, and I don't even have the language to form the question.
Anyone?
Uh, crescendo?

Here is what my acquaintance sent me back. I haven't had time to look it up to be sure.

I think you are referring to a Shepard Tone, named for Roger Shepard, often accompanied by a Risset Rhythm, named for Jean-Claude Risset, to create increasing suspense.

You might try researching those names to see examples and determine if that’s what you mean!

Would an example be the opening theme theme from Jaws?

OP's got an effin TONE named after him!

btw, I don't know if that's what Shep was looking for, but this shepard tone is pretty wild, check this out.....

Nice find, eman, that was interesting

They should have done a descending one for the Spitfire that could glide 40 miles with the prop stopped. Gah.

Dunkirk was so bad.

They should have done a descending one for the Spitfire that could glide 40 miles with the prop stopped. Gah.

Dunkirk was so bad.

Yeah, and before the engine coughed, he seemed to fly for 45 minutes on about 8 gallons. Sheesh.

I thought the score was screechy and irritating too.

Here is what my acquaintance sent me back. I haven't had time to look it up to be sure.

I think you are referring to a Shepard Tone, named for Roger Shepard, often accompanied by a Risset Rhythm, named for Jean-Claude Risset, to create increasing suspense.

You might try researching those names to see examples and determine if that’s what you mean!
BINGO! Thank you.

I'm familiar with it, but didn't realize this:

The shepard tone is an audio illusion which seems to get forever higher but never really does.

One person called it the 'barber pole of sound'. Continually going up but not really.

Back