Total Time

Chrisj13

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Chrisj13
Looking at various job postings, all require a minimum "total time." For example, skydiving operations mostly want 500 TT with xx hours in a particular aircraft (like 182, etc....)
My question is, what is "calculated" into the TT requirement? If I have 50 hours of rotor time, can that count towards a TT minimum for a fixed wing flying gig? I know it's not fixed wing specific time, but IT IS time in the air acting as PIC.
Thoughts? Experiences?

It's the total of all of your logged flight time.

Since it is for the purposes of meeting an employer's flight time requirements it is whatever time that particular employer accepts as flight time.

Lacking any specific instructions from the employer, use 61.51 as your guide. If it doesn't specify "Airplane" then count all time, if it says "Pilot time" then you'd exclude F/E time, etc.

You'll have to ask the people who are offering the gig if they want anything soecufuc.

Total time is not an FAA term. It's just English. It can mean total "flight" time, total "pilot" time, total "c152" time. But most often, it means the total of your overall flight time.

Looking at various job postings, all require a minimum "total time." For example, skydiving operations mostly want 500 TT with xx hours in a particular aircraft (like 182, etc....)
My question is, what is "calculated" into the TT requirement? If I have 50 hours of rotor time, can that count towards a TT minimum for a fixed wing flying gig? I know it's not fixed wing specific time, but IT IS time in the air acting as PIC.
Thoughts? Experiences?

Yes. It's part of your Total Flight Time. I have rotorcraft and gliders in my total time.

Sim time can also be counted as "total time" just not as total flight time from what I understand.

So my ASEL numbers are less than my total time numbers as I have sim time.

Meanings are implied and inferred. It would be in your best interest to infer in your favor and let them determine if it meets their implied meaning.

A potential employer will specify what types time they care about. If they care whether or not your time is rotor or fixed wing they will specify x number of hours in category.

The employer will determine,what time they think is acceptable for the job they are posting.

Sim time can also be counted as "total time" just not as total flight time from what I understand.

The FAA does not define "total time" in 1.1, 61.1, or the A/FD P/CD. They do define "pilot time" (which includes approved simulator time) and "flight time" (which does not).

So my ASEL numbers are less than my total time numbers as I have sim time.
Point is, there is no such thing as "Total Time" as an FAA-defined term. It is either a total (English word) of "pilot time" (FAA-defined) or a total of "flight time" (FAA defined).

"Pilot time" includes sim time; "Flight time" does not.

I am an exlunt typost.

I usually speak my posts into my phone or my iPad. Often require some cleaning but it does save a lot of typing. This post looks like it's not going to require any cleaning up at all.! :rofl:

TT is the hours logged in into your logbook from being a student pilot to present. I personally know an old, wise pilot who last time I asked had 46,000 hours of total time and was still racking up the hours on a daily basis.

Back