Top Gun 2

Gerhardt

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Gerhardt
I just read where they've started writing the script for Top Gun 2, and Cruise has signed on.

I liked the first one a lot and hope that the sequel will be much of the same. I know a lot of people don't like it but I always did. Of course, my first date with my future bride was to see Top Gun, then some making out in the parking lot in front of her apartment, so I may be biased.

Part 2 will reference drones, so it's up to date, but it makes you wonder. The one thing I hope they don't bring along for the new one is Kelly McGillis. She was a cutie 30 years ago but I've seen recent pictures and she hasn't aged well.

Now, how to bring Goose back from the dead.

I was really hoping they would have done a prequel and told Mavericks dad's story. WOuld have been much better. IMHO

I was really hoping they would have done a prequel and told Mavericks dad's story. WOuld have been much better. IMHO

How did you find out the plot to Top Gun 3?

Top Gun was unique in several ways. It helped define the 80's in music and style. The storyline was original and the lengths they went to do real air to air cinematography was unprecedented. We were involved in the Cold War and military support at home was high.

Conditions will never be right again for that type of movie. While I think the man vs drone concept is interesting, I fear this will be a movie with non stop CGI and bad music. Plus, in order to attract the masses you need some sort of romance involved. Just don't think that's going to happen with Maverick's age. I'll still go to watch it though.

She was a cutie 30 years ago but I've seen recent pictures and she hasn't aged well.

Neither has Tom Skerrit

1.166283.jpg

Neither has Tom Skerrit

Yeah, but I never had a crush on Tom.

It's amazing how many movies he's been in. I'll be watching an old Gunsmoke or some other show and he'll surface. My second-favorite character of his was in Steel Magnolias. The scene where he's shooting birds out of the tree is hilarious.

Now, how to bring Goose back from the dead.

This is easy, he had a kid and now the kid is all grown up and flying the 35 JSF. Maverick is the Top Gun Boss and Goose's wife (forget her characters name) is living on a houseboat with Tom Hanks in Seattle.

There, I just saved you $15

Goose's wife (forget her characters name)

There, I just saved you $15

You mean her?
meg-ryan-look-like-now-today-recent1.png

The more I think about how that cast is aging the more I think the sequel should just be a book

Tom Cruise must have a portrait in his closet that ages instead of him, sorta like Dorian Gray. Dude hasn't aged visibly in decades.

Wow, that's Meg Ryan? Ewwwww, I think Tom Hanks might feed her to the sharks

Didn't Art Scholl die in a crash while shooting aerial sequences for the Original?

He did. Got into a spin just off shore of SD. I believe the weight of the camera equipment was a contributing factor in not recovering. The movie is dedicated to him.

If you want to see someone who didn't age well, check out Ice Man (Val Kilmer). Dude blew up like he's perpetually having an allergic reaction to a bee sting.

val-kilmer-macgruber-premiere-04.jpg

Gotta be more selective with your photos Bryan,

Attachments

• Meg-Ryan-Paris-Fashion-Week-July-2015-Pictures.jpg
    Meg-Ryan-Paris-Fashion-Week-July-2015-Pictures.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 132
Top Gun 2: The Reckoning

Viper and Maverick are polishing the canopies on their RVs, discussing the advantages of overhead breaks and zoom climbs.

Top Gun 2: The Reckoning

Viper and Maverick are polishing the canopies on their RVs, discussing the advantages of overhead breaks and zoom climbs.

...then grab their walkers and go to the diner for the early bird special....at 4pm...

I'm shocked all of them are still living. It was my favorite movie growing up, but I hope the sequel isn't as cheesy...

I'd like to see a remake from Ice Man's perspective; like a dude version of Wicked.

In the 29 years since Top Gun, how many US fighter pilots have been engaged in actual dogfights?

In the 29 years since Top Gun, how many US fighter pilots have been engaged in actual dogfights?

F-14s downed a couple of Mig-23s in 89. Several in Desert Storm and postwar Iraq in 90's. At least one in Bosnia in the mid 90s. Don't recall any in OEF / OIF but it wasn't like there were many opportunities for that.

I read about the sequel last week or the week before - but didn't dare to write about it... :D:wink2:

Don't recall any in OEF / OIF but it wasn't like there were many opportunities for that.

I don't recall any in OIF. We (DDG) were in the NAG doing Red Crown/Green Crown and I don't recall any Air-Air engagements. A WHOLE lot of Strike missions thought.

I seem to recall some Iraqis flying their jets to Iran right off the bat to avoid getting engaged by coalition forces. There might have been some engagements/shoot-downs then, but those were hardly dogfights.

Eagerly saw the first film back in the day and came out thinking what MTV video crap it was. Horrible. And it sucked all the more being familiar growing up in the region and my father's job working on the bases. Huge hit of course, I have never understood why. The Final Countdown was better!!!!

Dear gawd make a realistic historical film about Korea or Vietnam fighter pilots. Would be amazing.

When it comes to movies about air combat, I prefer ones that involve guns in close quarters, not missiles from afar. So the movies about the more modern wars and their form of aerial warfare I find the least interesting. I also prefer WW2 era warbirds over modern jets from an aesthetic view as well.

Man I liked the first one. I own it and still watch it from time to time, in fact. Sure it was pretty cheesy, but it was pretty dang cool in a lot ways as well.

I can't imagine a fighter jet movie that involves drones could possibly be worth a crap.

I love the original as well, it was part of what made me want to be a pilot as a kid. I even went as Maverick for Halloween in 2nd grade the year it came out.

It also made me think at that age that pilots got all the hot women, but now we know that's not always true with what happened to Charlie.. ;)
bdc4c1be53e77932ee8d79b309b3685e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk

I love the original as well, it was part of what made me want to be a pilot as a kid. I even went as Maverick for Halloween in 2nd grade the year it came out.

It also made me think at that age that pilots got all the hot women, but now we know that's not always true with what happened to Charlie.. ;)
bdc4c1be53e77932ee8d79b309b3685e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk
Ew...

Like was mentioned, Libya x2, Gulf War, Deliberate Force/Bosnia, and the most recent MIG kills by US forces were in Allied Force/Kosovo in 1999. Most all were USAF only engagements, with exception of Libya and a couple in the Gulf War being USN.

Top Gun was good, but Iron Eagle was the movie that made me want to fly. The Cessna/dirt bike race still makes me crack a smile. Believe that was Art Scholl flying that one as well.

Last edited:
There will be a wave of airplane movies over the next few years. Hollywood loves to follow trends. Clint Eastwood is doing Miracle on The Hudson with Tom Hanks. Top Gun 2 is in the works. Cruise is shooting another airplane movie in Atlanta right now. And the story of Doug White(Niner Delta Whiskey) is currently in development.

Top Gun was good, but Iron Eagle was the movie that made me want to fly. The Cessna/dirt bike race still makes me crack a smile. Believe that was Art Scholl flying that one as well.

I can still remember so much of the dialog from that race scene.
"Doug! You're coming up on Devil's face!!"
"That's where Jimmy Branson Bought it"
"Doug, there's white smoke coming out of your manifold"
"Knotcher made me do it"
"Land the plane man! Land the plane!"

I love that the Cessna is "racing" the motorcycle and they are neck and neck but the plane is at full flaps.

I loved that move. Totally implausible BS but much more fun as a kid to watch.

Clint Eastwood is doing Miracle on The Hudson with Tom Hanks. Top Gun 2 is in the works.

And the story of Doug White(Niner Delta Whiskey) is currently in development.

Both will be interesting but how do you stretch these things to 2 hours?

Back