Top 3 Airports.

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
What are you favorite top three airports to flyin to and why?

Mine

1) Provincetown MA (KPVC) I used to fly Cape Air out to to Cape Cod and used to dream of the day I could fly myself and family out there. The Airport is beautiful set in the dunes by the ocean.

2) Ocean City NJ ( 26N) Nothing like hopping in the plane for a 30 minute flight that would normally be a two hour drive. Friendly little field set on the bay in Ocean City

3)Windwood FlyIn Resort (WV62) A fun little mountain top strip with a slightly challanging approach. When I land I know goo times with POAers is not far away.

I'd have said 6Y9er but I've only been a pax when I've flown there.

KOLM - home drome
KPUW - means I've had a 2 to 2 1/2 hour flight, instead of a 5 1/2 to 6 hour drive
KPWT - great fish and chips at the airport cafe

In no particular order

Goodspeed, CT (42B)- nothing special about it. Just a really cool location right on the river.

Any lake, anywhere USA. - sea planes, can't beat em.

Like I even have to list the third one.

T82 (Gillespie County, Texas), because that's one of my relaxing places.

MRF (Marfa, Texas), because I see people I like there.

The third one? I haven't been there. yet.

I can't even decide how to decide, it all depends on what I'm looking for.

My home drome, has hangars available, a good reasonably priced restaurant, friendly, helpful controllers who are tolerant of student mistakes, a GOOD mechanic on field, friendly staff, gas that's only a bit overpriced (50¢/gal to the county). But it's boring because I go there almost every day.

My other favorites vary, some have good scenery, some have cheap gas, some have great services.

Heck, I'm trying to think of an airport I don't like. If I get to fly there I'm generally in too good of a mood for it to be spoiled by high prices or less than stellar service.

Sedona
Catalina island
both for scenery
Gastons
explanation not necessary

KIWA - Williams Gateway Airport, Mesa, Az. 3 parallel 10,000ft runways in the middle of the beautiful Phoenix basin (and next door to the GM test track). Very friendly controllers, always willing to help, and plenty of IAPs to practice (not that you will ever need them there). Not to mention it's pretty fun to share the pattern with KC-135s, VC-25s, Harriers, F-16/15/18/22s, C-130s, CH-53/45/46s, T-1/6/34/38/45s, and really just about every other piece of civilian or military hardware you can think of. Oh ya, excellent restaurant on the field, too!

KBOS - I'm sure I would feel different if it was my money going to MassPort, but simply in terms of fun and pilot friendly operations, I can't think of a better airport. Lots of concrete for delay free travel, even in the worst New England weather, and some of the best and friendliest controllers I've had the pleasure of working with. Plus the unparallened beauty of the scenery, mixed with the unimitable challenge that flying around the Cape can provide.

Tie between KRKD/KAMW - Rockland is incredibly beautiful to fly around, and can provide challenges (mostly related to weather) unlike anywhere else in the country. Rockland, like Ames, is just that good old fashioned, home-town type airport. Friendly folks at the FBOs, short fences, and plenty of places to watch the planes fly; it's what GA is all about for me. Some of my best memories regarding aviation come from Ames, whether I was flying there, or just hanging out.

I would put KBOS in my bottom three airports along with KORD and KLGA. :rofl:

OK, I know I have a different perspective but I really don't like Signature Boston, mostly because they usually park you out in the back 40 and they need to drive you out in a van. Also, they have security just like the airline terminal with an X-ray machine and all.

My top three would be:

KMRY (Monterey, CA) - Nice scenery, nice town, good FBO. We used to go there a lot but we don't any more and I miss it.

KJAC (Jackson Hole, WY) - Another beautiful place, that is when it's not snowing...

KAPA (Denver Centennial) - Means I'm coming home :)

#1: Home drome KVUO, Vancouver WA. Lots of history (one of the oldest operating airfields in the US), pretty setting next to the Columbia River, walking distance to downtown Vancouver and closest airport to downtown Portland OR.

Dsc04732e.jpg

#2: KAVX (Avalon / Santa Catalina Island). Always an adventure.

#3: U60 (Big Creek, Idaho). Spectacular backcountry scenery. Until the lodge burned down a couple of years ago it was a popular fly-in breakfast destination.

P1040376e.jpg

KIWA - Williams Gateway Airport, Mesa, Az.

Yep. We flew in there regularly because we had a small condo in the neighborhood. But we just sold the condo, so our visit there a couple of weeks ago to clean the place out will likely be our last at KIWA for a while. Weird thing about KIWA was that there was no maintenance available anywhere on that huge airport. I once had to have a mechanic drive over from P19 just to fix a busted battery cable in my Bonanza.

2004:

IWA-2004.jpg

Last edited:
It's very hard for me to narrow it down to three, but that's enough for the milestones:
#1 is definitely 47N, where I finally "settled" as a renter and then became a resident "bum" and a member of a motley crew of glider nuts. Aside from that, it's just a real friendly field with cheap fuel. And a nice restaurant next door. And some fancy new lighting, with a new lighted wind sock.

#2 has to be KSDM, where I learned to fly again in a '46 "Airknocker". A very laid-back but professional Class D, close to the big city; restaurant on the field; very active EAA chapter that hosts weekly lunches; excellent weather... and did I mention it's where I learned to fly again? :D

#3 could be many airports, but C77 deserves that spot, because that's where I got my first taste of flying on skis, and was welcomed and trusted by total strangers... Poplar Grove is a real grass-roots pilots' community; I highly recommend it. Nice paved and grass runways, the only Cessna 140 available for solo rental that I know of in the USA, and lots of friendly, generous, helpful folks.

There's another list, of airports I haven't flown to as PIC but would like to... but maybe that's another thread.

Well, that depends.

Certain weekends of the year, I'd have to say KLOM, 3M0, and 6Y9. Duh. :D

For a $100 hamburger, the 3 best ones I've been to are KSBM, 06C, and KAPA.

For scenery... Johnson Creek, Gravelly Valley, and Leadville. (Okay, there's certainly better scenery than Leadville, but I got some great pictures. :))

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

1) KMHT: Always get me in and out without problems. Tower knows who I am at this point, and is extremely friendly and helpful. They've even gone ahead and filed IFR flight plans for me when I forgot to, and done so cheerfully. Wiggins Airways is great service, can't say enough good things about them.

2) CYMT: Chibougamau, Quebec. That place is just too cool. I'll probably replace this with CSU2 and/or CYKQ after I land at those (CSU2 this week, CYKQ next week).

3) 6Y9: What's not to like?

What are you favorite top three airports to flyin to and why?

Hmmm.... tough one... so many airports, so little time.

1.) Ocracoke NC (W95). Love the Outer Banks, Ocracoke still has that small town feel, quite a bit different from the northern towns. Don't need a car and have met some really interesting people.

2.) Blairstown NJ (1N7). Great GA airport. Gliders, good cafe, beautiful country. Favorite Sunday breakfast site.

3.) Portsmouth NH (PSM). Considering the "kids" go to Emerson and UNH, kinda the stopping point for visits. Great FBO (Port City), always friendly, help me out greatly a few times, and Portsmouth is a very nice city to visit.

The list could go on....

Gary

KMCD - Mackinac Island!

3W2 - Put-in Bay

3DA - Dalton Field (Flushing, MI).

The first two need no explanation. The last is fun in a 177RG because it's semi-challenging with 1700 feet available landing distance and predictably squirrely winds. It also has the best fly-in restaurant in Michigan (Sorrento's, NOT the Liberty Diner F.K.A. Gabby's!)

edit: KTVC would be a close 4th. There's something about that huge, welcoming field in the middle of all that green, huddled up against the deep blue of Grand Traverse Bay.

Downwind at KBKL has a spectacular view of the Cleveland skyline. The landing fees kinda killed the experience for me though.

KSJX is pretty awesome too.

Last edited:
KJAC ( Jackson Hole Wy),,, Paradise !!!!!!!!

KOSH ( Oshkosh) Paradise.. once a year anyway.

2WY2 ( Haas International),, Home....:yesnod:

Well, my experience is limited to the Florida peninsula, but my favorites are:

Cedar Key, KCDK. Nice setting, interestinig destination and Judy's Taxi. Nice wildlife tour from the dock area and great (not fancy) seafood. Also, it's just about an hour by plane and due to general road perversity almost 4 hours by car.

Flagler County, KXFL. Good food and a nice 45 minute flight from my home 'drome. Counts as cross country, as well.

Marathon Key, KMTH. It's the Keys. It was also the destination of my first family trip in an airplane. My wife and I had a great time.

John

Last edited:
Well, my experience is limited to the Florida peninsula, but my favorites are:

Cedar Key, KCDK. Nice setting, interestinig destination and Judy's Taxi. Nice wildlife tour from the dock area and great (not fancy) seafood. Also, it's just about an hour by plane and due to general road perversity almost 4 hours by car.

Flagler County, KXFL. Good food and a nice 45 minute flight from my home 'drome. Counts as cross country, as well.

Marathon Key, KMTH. It's the Keys. It was also the destination of my first family trip in an airplane. My wife and I had a great time.

John

I will second the Ceder Key airport....

30 years ago when I started flying out of Apopka Fla ,Ceder key was a monthly cross country adventure. Back then you buzzed the town and the taxi driver, and I am putting that mildly, would come to the airport in her worn out pontiac station wagon and haul us to town for some killer seafood.... Lady's name was Edna and she held the record for smoking a cig and leaving the ash on it.
I swear that darn ash would be as long as the cig and it NEVER broke off. How the heck she could do that was the 8th wonder of the world.:yesnod:

Downwind at KBKL has a spectacular view of the Cleveland skyline. The landing fees kinda killed the experience for me though.

The fee was only $5 when I ws there way back in '08.

KPHN it's home and at the end of Lake Huron has some nice flight seeing without going anywhere.

I69 (Sporty's) around a two hour x-ctry, free lunch on Saturday, straight shot over the Lake Erie Islands or hug the Lake St Clair and Lake Erie West coast for the Detroit Skyline.

KMYR Nice FBO, nice beach and free lodging :D Well paid for whether I use it or not :mad:

Good question!

Hmmm....

For all-around great experience I have to say Asheville, NC (KAVL) -- great scenery, great FBO, good service, etc.

For down-home fun turf flying, there are many in PA. I'm looking forward to getting back to Grimes.

KLNS is my home airfield (well, where I learned to fly) and my daughter and Son-in-law still live near there, plus I always enjoy Fiorentinos and a trip to AirWays...

I love (in no particular order):

Aeroflex Andover (12N) - Fun picnic site to watch taildragger students try to land in the lake.

00500.jpg

Kentmorr Airpark (3W3) - walking distance to the redneck yacht club

10338.jpg

Blairstown (1N7) - gotta agree with Gary, its a great lil sport airport! Lots of glider and ultralite activity, plus loads of picnic benches, on field cafe, and clean area.

00525.jpg

--Honorable Mentions--

St. George Utah (SGU), Sits on top of a plateau about 80 miles NE or Vegas.
01628.jpg

Seven Springs (7SP) Resort! VERY NICE - Summer Specials (Airport closed for entire Winter)

03995.jpg

Airnav Photos Ya'll

NO WAY!???? Awww Man! What a fun spot too. SUNAVA.... :rolleyes:

I wonder why?

Centre Airpark is a fun fly-in too but conflicts with Windwood.
9VG for Soup on Sunday makes the list as well.

Sorry -- Seven Springs airport is closed for good.

:frown3:

NO WAY!???? Awww Man! What a fun spot too. SUNAVA.... :rolleyes:

I wonder why?

Centre Airpark is a fun fly-in too but conflicts with Windwood.
9VG for Soup on Sunday makes the list as well.

Not sure, but the NOTAM's been up a while (even though they had runway X's on without a NOTAM a few times before!)

!AOO 03/014 7SP AD CLSD

Man....What a waste....

It took ALOT of dirt moving just to create it.:skeptical::skeptical::skeptical:

1. Nut Tree Airport, Vacaville, CA
2. Depot Bay Airport, Depot Bay, Or
3. Half Moon Bay, HMB, CA

1. Nut Tree Airport, Vacaville, CA
I loved Nut Tree (way) back in the day when they had that restaurant and the aviation-themed store. I thought that had gone away years ago.

3. Half Moon Bay, HMB, CA
I also remember going to Half Moon Bay and visiting the tidepools. Coincidentally I drove past there only last week.

I loved Nut Tree (way) back in the day when they had that restaurant and the aviation-themed store. I thought that had gone away years ago.
And of course there was the miniature train that took you from the airport to the restaurant and back again. This photo is from 1978; the little boy on the bench will be 36 next week. :smile:

Flying-1970s-1046e.jpg

Sorry -- Seven Springs airport is closed for good.

:frown3:

Really??? That is ashame. What's the other high end resort that has or had a strip? Ahh, yes, just came to me. Nemacolin. Do they still have one?

My favorites included

KHSE - Hatteras, NC. Get out of the plane and walk onto the beach.
KWWD - First GA airport I flew from when I was 9.
18V - Platte Valley, CO - Its what a small airport should be.

Last edited:
1) KHXF - Home Glider field and all around neat country airport. Stop by on th way to OSH for reasonable gas

2) KMRF - Great Soaring, and like Spike mentioned even better people (good pizza as well)

3) 6Y9 - Just a damn cool little patch of grass in the middle of the U.P.

Smiley Creek U87, the view flying over the pass to the airport is awesome with the Sawtooths in the background, camping facilities are fine although it gets a little cold at night(28F in July), its fun to watch the antelope roam and they serve Alaskan Amber in bottles at the restaurant across the road.

Twin Oaks 08MO, always good for a good meal, soft bed and great conversation.

Sidnaw 6Y9, always good... good people, good food, good fun and good stories.

Barb(I don't think I've met an airport I didn't like)

Basin Harbor VT??? think that's the place. Flew over it once, looked pretty cool!

Gary

I was thinking of Nemacolin in western PA, but I'll have to check that one out.

And of course there was the miniature train that took you from the airport to the restaurant and back again. This photo is from 1978; the little boy on the bench will be 36 next week. :smile:

Flying-1970s-1046e.jpg
I remember the train too! The Nut Tree was a great $100 hamburger spot only it probably didn't even cost $100 for me to fly there and eat in 1978, which is the time frame I was flying around there. I had just gotten my private in 1977.

6Y9 - Just a damn cool little patch of grass in the middle of the U.P.

Thats a great way to describe it. I would put 6Y9 on my list but I felt it wasn't fair since I personally did not fly in there other than as a pax.

Tough call:

1. 47N Home drone. Nothing like seeing my familiar field after a long day of flying.

2. BVY Grew up 10 minutes from there and as a kid always looked longingly at the planes and dreamed one day of flying. Now I get to fly in and out of there to visit my parents. Literally a dream come true.

3. W29 Love coming in over the Bay Bridge.

(runners up: MVY, ACK, MTP, TGI, and BID)

Cedar Key is a blast. Last time, a friend of mine and I went in there, we decided we'd just walk to the restaurants and whatnot, and skip the taxi. We got crazy lost, and ended up riding in the back of a 2 seat golf cart (which had a semi-drunk couple driving it). Funny part was that when we got ready to leave and call the taxi to get back to the airport, said golf cart drove by us, and gave us a ride back to the airport, along with a tour of a good part of the island.

So, with Cedar Key being #1

#2 K81 (Miami County). Best airport restaurant I've been to, as the BBQ there is great. Had a few issues there in the past, but otherwise its a fun place to fly into.

#3 KSPG (Whitted) I've flown in there once, to stop by the pilot shop, and once just to go somewhere. Awesome little airport, water basically surrounds the place. Lots of fun to go to.

Back