Top 3 Airports.

Cedar Key is a blast. Last time, a friend of mine and I went in there, we decided we'd just walk to the restaurants and whatnot, and skip the taxi. We got crazy lost, and ended up riding in the back of a 2 seat golf cart (which had a semi-drunk couple driving it). Funny part was that when we got ready to leave and call the taxi to get back to the airport, said golf cart drove by us, and gave us a ride back to the airport, along with a tour of a good part of the island.

So, with Cedar Key being #1

#2 K81 (Miami County). Best airport restaurant I've been to, as the BBQ there is great. Had a few issues there in the past, but otherwise its a fun place to fly into.

#3 KSPG (Whitted) I've flown in there once, to stop by the pilot shop, and once just to go somewhere. Awesome little airport, water basically surrounds the place. Lots of fun to go to.

Whitted is on my list as a day trip with my wife. I understand there are shops and resturants within walking distance. Miami County I am not familiar with.

John

Basin Harbor VT??? think that's the place. Flew over it once, looked pretty cool!

Gary

Basin Harbor is very cool! See photos below

Also: Alton Bay Iceport (in season. :D)

44N Sky Acres. Sorry, no photo for the moment. (Edit: Found it!)

-Skip

Attachments

• basin harbor.jpg
    basin harbor.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • crew car at basin Harbor.jpg
    crew car at basin Harbor.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • Alton Bay Aerial photo.jpg
    Alton Bay Aerial photo.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Aerial Photo - Rwy 35 at Sky Acres.jpg
    Aerial Photo - Rwy 35 at Sky Acres.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
It's hard to pick just three, but three that I visit a lot are
1. Butter Valley, PA, a short, challenging strip with a nice restaurant and a beautiful setting.
2. Sky Manor NJ. Another nice place to eat. Good view of the runway from the restaurant and lots of interesting planes.
3. Sky Acres NY. Again, good eatery. But the highlight of the trip is usually the flight up the Hudson River through New York City to get there.

Whitted is on my list as a day trip with my wife. I understand there are shops and resturants within walking distance. Miami County I am not familiar with.

The pilot shop there is impressive too, but not quite as much as when they are at the show in Lakeland. Miami county is up in Kansas, so I doubt you've been there.:D

The pilot shop there is impressive too, but not quite as much as when they are at the show in Lakeland. Miami county is up in Kansas, so I doubt you've been there.:D

Oh, THAT Miami...

How 'bout Eastsound, Orcas Island WA? If only my photographer could keep the camera straight...

17_Final%20Approach%20-%20Eastsound%20WA_Lo-Res.jpg

heading 340ish is eastbound? :confused:

Oops...nevermind...Eastsound. doh!

The fee was only $5 when I ws there way back in '08.
When I landed at BKL in '05 I used a Million Air which charged a $10 or $11 FBO fee. Then came the Port Authority fee two weeks later (courtesy of the friend whose plane I was flying at the time). I don't recall how much it was now, just that it was unexpected and weird.

I've heard that Million Air is no longer there. Maybe I'll land there again someday.

edit: BTW Ray, I'll be at PHN on Thu about 3pm to see Bill @ Huron Avionics. Having my Sandel bulb replaced.

Last edited:
In no particular order

Goodspeed, CT (42B)- nothing special about it. Just a really cool location right on the river.

I love that airport!!

Attachments

• DSC01157.JPG
    DSC01157.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC01155.JPG
    DSC01155.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
First Flight (FFA) Landing at such a historical site, a must for all pilots.

Katama (1B2) Grass strip, walk across the road to the beach.

Block Island (BID) Always had fun there.

Saint Simons Island (SSI) gets Honorable Mention

I need to try Cedar Key, just haven't made it there yet.

Attachments

• Alton_Feb_2009a.jpg
    Alton_Feb_2009a.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Jamie Cub Shot.jpg
    Jamie Cub Shot.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 17
  • Andy stolen picture.jpg
    Andy stolen picture.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 18
Shade Tree Airport (MS82) near Gulfport, MS is at the top of the list. Wonderful people. Southern hospitality. Fuel. Grass strip. Apartment with a bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, washer/dryer. Fun airplanes and fun people who like to go flying.

Beaumont, KS (SN07). Grass strip outside of town. Taxi up to hotel. Restaurant in hotel.

Gaston's (3M0). It's already been discussed. :D

In no particular order

Goodspeed, CT (42B)- nothing special about it. Just a really cool location right on the river.

I did my first night XC there, and my instructor and I had a ***** of a time finding the place. We circled for about 20 minutes over where I thought it should be before finally descending enough to make out the runway lights. I thought we would give up and head home after a while.

I did my first night XC there, and my instructor and I had a ***** of a time finding the place. We circled for about 20 minutes over where I thought it should be before finally descending enough to make out the runway lights. I thought we would give up and head home after a while.

Wow. My instructor took me there in daylight once, and it got my attention. The bridge and the power lines right below the approach course...

Regarding Goodspeed CT.......

Isn't there an opera house or theatre right near the airport? If it's the same place, its the grass strip along the river?

06176.jpg

Found this pic on Airnav and some older info (link) on the airfield but not sure if this is still valid. Anyone know?

Last edited:
Do you mean this one? I've never been, but I really should go down to check it out some time. Apparently there's also a good Italian restaurant near the field.

Edit - I'm pretty sure it's the building down in the lower left corner of your picture, right by the bridge.

Last edited:

Isn't there an opera house or theatre right near the airport? If it's the same place, its the grass strip along the river?

06176.jpg

Found this pic on Airnav and some older info (link) on the airfield but not sure if this is still valid. Anyone know?

Not sure if its still valid? Man I wish it were! Look at those 100LL prices

From the website : "They pump 100LL at $1.89 per gallon and 80 to 87 octane is $2.24 per gallon"

1. Nut Tree Airport, Vacaville, CA
2. Depot Bay Airport, Depot Bay, Or
3. Half Moon Bay, HMB, CA

I loved Nut Tree (way) back in the day when they had that restaurant and the aviation-themed store. I thought that had gone away years ago.

I also remember going to Half Moon Bay and visiting the tidepools. Coincidentally I drove past there only last week.

And of course there was the miniature train that took you from the airport to the restaurant and back again. This photo is from 1978; the little boy on the bench will be 36 next week. :smile:

Flying-1970s-1046e.jpg

I remember the train too! The Nut Tree was a great $100 hamburger spot only it probably didn't even cost $100 for me to fly there and eat in 1978, which is the time frame I was flying around there. I had just gotten my private in 1977.

Back in the 1950s (when I was about the age of the kid in the picture) we went to the Nut Tree every year to see Santa. Ride the train. Living in Davis it was an easy drive. Probably would have been safer flying as the old US 40 (pre-I80) was a 4 lane highway with a divider. Traffic coming into the Nut Tree from the Bay Area had to turn left across west bound traffic to enter. Traffic leaving the Nut Tree and heading east had to cross the west bound lanes to make the turn. Some really nasty accidents there.

06176.jpg

I took this picture a year or two ago. The opera house is the building at the end of the bridge.

Attachments

• DSC01155.JPG
    DSC01155.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 26
Had to think about this a few minutes...have to pick just 3? Ok then:

#1 - KPSP Palm Springs, CA
It's pretty there and way different than Georiga!

#2 KCHS Charleston, SC
Joint International / AFB airport makes this field unique.
Charleston, SC is a wonderful place for a weekend.

#3 KMGR Moultire, GA
It's home and always a welcome sight on final.

I loved Nut Tree (way) back in the day when they had that restaurant and the aviation-themed store. I thought that had gone away years ago.

I also remember going to Half Moon Bay and visiting the tidepools. Coincidentally I drove past there only last week.

The Nut Tree in Vacaville is reopening! I see they have a new web site. The train will still run and take you between the shops and the airfield. This used to be a favorite lunch hop when I was a kid and lived in Sacramento. My dad would load us in the Bonanza and we would have a great time. Four kids in the back seats and Mom and Dad in the front.

Last edited:
The Nut Tree in Vacaville is reopening! I see they have a new web site. The train will still run and take you between the shops and the airfield. This used to be a favorite lunch hop when I was a kid and lived in Sacramento. My dad would load us in the Bonanza and we would have a great time. Four kids in the back seats and Mom and Dad in the front.

From that web site I'd guess that it's open. Now there's a reason to fly down to California from OLM. Talk about a $100 hamburger run. :D

Oh, and the picture on the web site of the train in front of the toy store looks familiar. Similar picture attached from 1957. My brother and me in the train behind the engine.

Attachments

• 263   The Nut Tree Railroad   December 1957.jpg
    263 The Nut Tree Railroad December 1957.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Flagler County, KXFL. Good food and a nice 45 minute flight from my home 'drome. Counts as cross country, as well.

About a month and a half ago, I went to visit my sick grandfather and some other family in Palm Coast. Our hotel was directly across the street from KXFL and I was kicking myself the whole time for not bringing my cert, medical, etc. I have a feeling I'll be visiting again before long and I wont make that mistake again. What can you tell me about the place and nearby sights?

1. KBGD - not much there, but holy cow the people there make it worthwhile.
2. 6Y9 - although its probably not as exciting now that its longer than 1800ft.
3. Any airport - if I'm landing, that means I flew. That means a lot to me.

In no particular order:
1) Telluride - great destination, great approach
2) Ketchikan, AK - stunning beauty, great approach
3) Big Creek, ID - stunning beauty, peace and quiet.

Special mention:
1) Butter Valley Golf Port - it's fun to scatter golfers with your plane, legally. Plus, there aren't many airports where you can be held up while someone plays their errant shot off the runway!

Last edited:
Not sure, but the NOTAM's been up a while (even though they had runway X's on without a NOTAM a few times before!)

!AOO 03/014 7SP AD CLSD

This is old news apparently, but the communications manager from 7 Springs sent me this:

The Seven Springs airport was closed a few years ago due to the installation of the resort’s sporting clays facility. It is unlikely that it will ever reopen. Thank you for reaching out!

Losing a cool airport to clays? That sucks. I would have liked to go visit. I wonder why it is still on the sectional?

1. X01 everglades city - first solo cross country , seafood festival, bikes to ride into town! Not my photo of x01... looks like they are lined up for the taxiway!!

2. 7n8 butter valley

3. undecided. Really wanted to visit the frozen lake in new hampshire.

Attachments

• 1066428.jpg
    1066428.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 305375_10150320091066272_501731271_8189021_258982174_n.jpg
    305375_10150320091066272_501731271_8189021_258982174_n.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 15
1. X01 everglades city - first solo cross country , seafood festival, bikes to ride into town! Not my photo of x01... looks like they are lined up for the taxiway!!

2. 7n8 butter valley

3. undecided. Really wanted to visit the frozen lake in new hampshire.

Your third one is Alton Bay, It gets kind of quiet there around memorial day so you'd have the airport all to yourself......................:wink2: just make sure you have the floats installed.

What are you favorite top three airports to flyin to and why?
I will give you just one because I can't come up with anything else being even close:

Columbia, Ca (O22)

You can walk (yes, walk) from the airport to this beautifully preserved gold-rush area ghost town, with so many things to see, tour a gold mine, stay/eat in a very classy bed-and-breakfast, etc.

Last edited:
Back