Tools and Accessories for Instrument Student

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I just got my private pilot license and am beginning my serious instrument lessons. I have completed the Sportys iPad course along with Kershner's book so I feel prepared for the written test and will take it when time allows. What I would like some advice on is what tools and the like I should invest in for learning how to fly by instruments. I have Foggles and a handful of inoperative instrument covers. I switched to ForeFlight for my charts and A/FD late in my primary training to save money over buying paper charts (I live close to the border between two sectionals and close to a separate border between A/FDs so to keep current with charts I save about 60% annually before I even consider IFR charts). But I want to get at least one set of printed approach plates and low-altitude en route charts to make sure I can get it done on paper and also as a backup in case the iPad decides that the one time it will die is in the air.

Questions:

1. Is it worth it to get an IFR plotter? The low-altitude en route charts include anything you need for flying on airways so it seems like a plotter is superfluous except to measure small distances for getting onto an airway from a departure airport. It's a small investment, but I don't want to waste a penny on a tool I'll never use. GPS direct is the generally accepted means of getting from point A to point B here, but if I am planning a GPS direct flight I think I can count on completing the flight without reference to a printed chart. Thoughts?

2. I would like to get a decent flight stopwatch. The airplane I am mostly flying has an analog clock with a sweep second hand, so it's legal for IFR. But that doesn't meant it's easy to use. I wear a mechanical watch with a chronograph but I feel like a digital stopwatch is the way to go in the air for timed approaches and the like. ASA, Sporty's, or something else entirely?

3. Anything else I should pick up while I'm at it? What do you find yourself using or wishing you had and what items do you look back on as a waste?

Thanks in advance!

Actually, I found the sweep hands pretty easy to use for timing holds.

I didn't have a use, ever, for an "IFR plotter." IFR charts are not all to the same scale like VFR charts are. A VFR plotter works just fine as long as you remember that the distance scale is not correct.

The answer about what you should pick up is the same as it was for primary training. Whatever your instructor recommends.

Plotter.... not needed

Timer, just get the less than $10 digital kitchen timer from Amazon or grocery store.

It's way to easy to overspend on unneeded gadgets. Most will be used a few times then drop to bottom of flight bag not used. K.I.S.S and save your money for fuel and flying.

For the printed approaches, you can (and should) print what you need as you go... No need to purchase the entire published book. Well, one reason, to familiarize yourself with all the additional info beyond the charts that's there. But you should be able to find someone with a slightly out of date one you can just have (like me, if your close to KDTO).

The Low Enroute charts are all there on FF, and you said you got that.

Unless you like to spend money for gadgets, don't even think about it until after you get started. Your time is probably the most valuable thing you have when flying IFR. Increasing tasks to accomplish because you have lots of gadgets to manage is a recipe for getting behind the airplane.

How about some sort of dry erase board that straps to your wrist so you can write things down?

Never even heard of an "IFR Plotter". For the stopwatch, no need to spend extra money on the ones from ASA or Sportys. A five dollar kitchen one at Walmart will do just fine.

99% of the flying I do is IFR. Other than approach charts, I have a small 6 x 9 spiral notebook that I use for writing clearances, and anything else I need to write down. That is it. I have and carry a flashlight, but mostly I just use the cockpit lights.
How about some sort of dry erase board that straps to your wrist so you can write things down?

ForeFlight should have a scratchpad in the app for doing that. Just get a stylus. That's what I use.

Never even heard of an "IFR Plotter". .

Jeppesen has sold an IFR plotter for years. They may have been handy back when we used RNAV. (to find bearing and distance for a waypoint)

Agree though, not needed.

Last edited:
There's stuff you probably still have left over from your private you will need:
E6B (or it's electronic equivalent), especially for the exams
Headset
AIM and FAR copies

You'll need instrument charts and approach plates suitable for the area you're flying. You should talk to your specific instructor about what he thinks you need.

As pointed out you'll need something to write on. I started out with one of these fancy kneeboards but decided I couldn't deal with it stuck to me so I just used to alternate between holding it and sticking it between the seats. Now I just use a small notebook (A steno pad is about the right size as it's about the same size as an approach plate) but just about any small notebook will do. Others use regular office-supply clipboards.

Keep it simple. Like others, I use a small clipboard and a sheet of paper to copy down clearances. Charts are on my iPad, phone, and paper.

Won't he need a metal landing calculator?

Skip the IFR plotter, keep using the one you have. But you won't need it with electronic charts.

For timing, I use my yoke-mounted clock with sweep second hand. It's really nit that hard to add minutes and seconds, just count around in 10-second increments then finish up with the leftovers.

Lots of cool information on the covers of bound plates. You'll need the one that converts airspeed and climb rates in feet per minute into climb rates in feet per mile. A few other fun things, too.

As everyone stated no on the plotter. As for the timer, concur on not spending a lot of money. I never bought one myself. In training I flew behind a G1000 and used its built-in timer. Today in my own plane I use the timer that's part of my EFB (GarminPilot), when I have to time something which is pretty rare.

For the test you will need an E6B, and bring a straight edge. In the real world a pen, paper, and iPad, and you are good. The plane I fly has a digital timer built into the yolk.

I always liked the bound government printed charts. Still carry some in the airplane. If you are headed for the majors, get the Jepp charts, although paper charts are going away, you probably should be familiar with them just for general knowledge.

Last edited:
Cheapest timer you can get at wal-mart as mentioned, you've got your charts and plates on the ipad, however a paper low chart is useful for flight planning purposes and sometimes I would carry one folded up so I could see my entire route on a longer flight. Plus you can write on it.

Plain metal kneeboard is perfect, holds a notepad and you can clip a pen to it. Foreflight has a scratchpad feature as mentioned, but it's not the easiest to write on and I'd rather not have to switch between things on the ipad in IFR when I can write it on a separate notepad.

I don't use the approach plate books in flight, but I do find it fun to sit down with one every now and then and flip through the various plates and read over interesting approaches... then if a procedure is not clear I can come here and ask a stupid question:)

Good tips, everyone. Thanks. I ordered the local IFR low-altitude en route chart, TPPs, and a new A/FD. I also grabbed Sporty's maneuvers guide book for the instrument rating because I did find the private pilot version helpful as a practice checklist. Now I just need to get to the store and find a good cheap timer. In other words, I have an excuse to fly somewhere to go shopping. :)

Back