Toolbox identification?

drummer4468

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
drummer4468
Hey all,

taking a total shot in the dark here, and wondering if anyone can help identify the manufacturer of a toolbox that a friend of mine got second- or third-hand. It has no factory decals/badges on it except a blue “Ball Bearing Sliders” badge in the upper left corner of the upper box. You can see the mounting holes for a badge in the other corner, but no one knows what brand or how old it is.

Trying to help him find a new locking assy for the bottom box. C7F2F4EB-B6E9-4239-89E7-E51EC8A7C5F9.jpeg

but no one knows what brand or how old it is.
My guess its an off-brand found under different logos. Most tool boxes use standard locks. Just need to determine housing and lock tab style. Its what I did when bought used boxes.

You don't kneed to know the manufacturer if you just need a new lock. The thing is a simple cam lock (probably four or so disk wafers). You can get them anywhere.

My guess its an off-brand found under different logos. Most tool boxes use standard locks. Just need to determine housing and lock tab style. Its what I did when bought used boxes.

You don't kneed to know the manufacturer if you just need a new lock. The thing is a simple cam lock (probably four or so disk wafers). You can get them anywhere.

Oh yeah, I’m not worried about the lock itself, that’s the easy part. But it’s also missing the bar that connects the lock cylinder to the locking bar in the back of the box. And I think one of the brackets that hold that connecting bar in place.

We can probably fabricate something that works but being able to ascertain a part number would save a lot of time and effort.

National Lock Company (now CompX) makes a LOT of locks...pages and pages of just the cam lock variety in their catalog. https://www.lockmasters.com/images/uploaded/Compx National Catalog.pdf

They are the source for locks available from many resellers. I've been down this rabbit hole for awhile now while unsuccessfully looking for a replacement cam lock (haven't found the pawl length I need, and the pawl from my old lock won't fit on the newer lock mechanisms), but I'll bet the lock you need is out there, and I'd start with the CompX catalog.

National Lock Company (now CompX) makes a LOT of locks...pages and pages of just the cam lock variety in their catalog. https://www.lockmasters.com/images/uploaded/Compx National Catalog.pdf

They are the source for locks available from many resellers. I've been down this rabbit hole for awhile now while unsuccessfully looking for a replacement cam lock (haven't found the pawl length I need, and the pawl from my old lock won't fit on the newer lock mechanisms), but I'll bet the lock you need is out there, and I'd start with the CompX catalog.

Awesome, I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Post it over on the garagejournal.com forum. I guarantee someone there will be able to tell you exactly who made it and will likely even have a picture of the missing part.

I think we have a winner! Thank you!

Post it over on the garagejournal.com forum. I guarantee someone there will be able to tell you exactly who made it and will likely even have a picture of the missing part.

Asking around on there now, trying to find a lead on a parts catalog or something. My google-fu is only turning up a plumbing manufacturer and generic Amazon listings. Thanks!

Back