Too friggin hot to work

When I was growing up, I checked an almanac and found that Seattle had 48 clear days per year, about the same number of partly cloudy days, and the rest cloudy.

40-60 lbs. I got so desperate for help one year I hired a guy off the street corner. After about ten bales, he turned sheet white and laid down. I thought he was done, and what the heck would I do with the body. Doused him with water, and in a few minutes he came around.

We have a farm-boy kind of a friend. One day, he needed help loading a truck and trailer with hay bales. We agreed; and at his place, he showed us where everything was while he loaded another truck.

He got done; and came to help us. I was taking a bale off the stack, walking it across the barn, and putting it in the back of the truck. So was another friend.

The farm boy smiled, went to the stack, and started ONE-ARMING them across the barn! Right into the truck where they needed to be. ONE ARM!!!! Dang farm kids. :) They make us suburban kids look wussy.

The farm boy smiled, went to the stack, and started ONE-ARMING them across the barn! Right into the truck where they needed to be. ONE ARM!!!!

There is an art to chucking hay bales. If you know how to do it you can chuck one a good distance. I could get a bale to the top of the stack on the trailer while the others would run a relay system.

My problem was I am fair skinned, reddish hair so I would keel over in the heat quicker.

There is an art to chucking hay bales. If you know how to do it you can chuck one a good distance. I could get a bale to the top of the stack on the trailer while the others would run a relay system.

My problem was I am fair skinned, reddish hair so I would keel over in the heat quicker.

And you can carom those suckers too...throw it so when it lands the side hits the outside edge of another bale and starts rolling on the cut side. Can go a good long way, as long as it's a nice tight bale. You use that technique when throwing bales off the rack to stackers.

Wow, the stuff we city boys learn on this forum! :)

Oh, yeah! We cut hay in several counties so we didn't have to buy it. People got their fields mowed and we got hay. We could make a good, solid stack taller than semi-trucks. Had to be careful on the route home with power lines and bridges.

Here's our luck... We bought a conveyor to hook to the trailer and use at the barn. The tongue broke on the way home, it flipped several times before coming to rest in the ditch. It was FUBAR'd, never got to use it, dad said, "that's what we get for trying to be lazy."

I don't throw bales at work, but we don't have AC in our office. It was 97 yesterday and will be 99 or 100 the next 3 days. I hate sweating at a desk.

Gotcha. I figured if it was the US there’d be some sort of OSHA law preventing that.
Might be. In the US, most office buildings (that I have ever seen anyway) don't have windows that can open. Since there is no central air here, all windows can open. It's nice for fresh air, but it sure sucks in the summer.

Back