Too friggin hot to work

The humidity in Tennessee today isn’t pleasant. Don’t know which is worse a dry 105 or this

You and Tom make me so miss being on Whidbey Island. Maybe I will be able to come back some day.
Same here. I grew up in Seattle, and my parents and some friends had a beach house on Whidbey.

That’s a lot of horses, and a lot of bales if you’re moving them by hand.

Used to hire labor to help out, but that dried up years ago. So I welded up an accumulator and grapple for my skidsteer to pick up and stack in the barn. Now, I don't have to pick up a bale by hand unless it drops off the wagon. If I can rope my wife into raking and accumulating, the two of us can put 500 small square bales in the barn a day.
Tell you what though, a cold beer after a day like that is the nectar of the Gods.

Last edited:
I think I pooped out after five or six bales.. What's one of those suckers weigh?

Last edited:
Currently in Seattle, it's 73 degrees with 40% humidity. Furnace was running this morning. I can see Mt. Rainier, ~60 miles away.

And we've got grass...trees...and rivers with actual flowing water.

Ron "And the grass is legal" Wanttaja
Shut the hell up, they will all want to move up here.

It rains every day, it's cold and gray, never has a VFR day.

Used to hire labor to help out, but that dried up years ago. So I welded up an accumulator and grapple for my skidsteer to pick up and stack in the barn. Now, I don't have to pick up a bale by hand unless it drops off the wagon. If I can rope my wife into raking and accumulating, the two of us can put 500 small square bales in the barn a day.
Tell you what though, a cold beer after a day like that is the nectar of the Gods.
There’s something rewarding about putting up hay, but I won’t be doing anymore of it. It’s kind of a pastime around here. I’m convinced that a lot of the people who do it locally get little financial benefit from it. But it gives them something to do and pays for some cool equipment.

There was a lack of winter VFR when I was there, but I remember some gorgeous summers. You can't stop me from coming back! LOL The cost of living can. :(

<Gulp> You're absolutely right, Tom. Here's the picture I shot out my office window of Mount Rainier today....
tape.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

Yeah, We took the G/Kids to the beach today, took advantage of the really low tides.

Attachments

• DgQWLgQvQ8CYn04ixBFfxQ.jpg
    DgQWLgQvQ8CYn04ixBFfxQ.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 4FdKelCgT+65gh5XcadaGg.jpg
    4FdKelCgT+65gh5XcadaGg.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 19
You and Tom make me so miss being on Whidbey Island. Maybe I will be able to come back some day.

I miss NUW every day and I left in 95. Flew from KFD to WST yesterday and even @5k it was steamy. I filed for 7K just for the temps but NY had other ideas.

Well, LCI on Monday. Maybe NH will be cooler

I think I pooped out after five or six bales.. What't one of those suckers weigh?

40-60 lbs. I got so desperate for help one year I hired a guy off the street corner. After about ten bales, he turned sheet white and laid down. I thought he was done, and what the heck would I do with the body. Doused him with water, and in a few minutes he came around.
After a day doing hay, you know you've done something. Very satisfying to see that big stack.
You aren't going to get rich putting up hay though. The guys who sell it around here are getting $5-7 a bale for horse quality small squares this year. I do it because I have the land, and doing it myself I can control the quality. And If I hadn't mechanized the process, I wouldn't even think about it.

Last edited:
40-60 lbs. I got so desperate for help one year I hired a guy off the street corner. After about ten bales, he turned sheet white and laid down. I thought he was done, and what the heck would I do with the body. Doused him with water, and in a few minutes he came around.
After a day doing hay, you know you've done something. Very satisfying to see that big stack.
You aren't going to get rich putting up hay though. The guys who sell it around here are getting $5-7 a bale for horse quality small squares this year. I do it because I have the land, and doing it myself I can control the quality. And If I hadn't mechanized the process, I wouldn't even think about it.
A friend of mine calculated that he would of broken even over the last 30yrs if he’d bought all of his hay. That would’ve saved a lot of labor. The problem though, is that it’s hard to really gauge the quality of purchased hay, and in dry years it can be really tough to guarantee a plentiful supply. In those years the price can triple.

In the 50s my dad was selling hay for $20.00 a ton, today the local country store gets that per bail, and they are not big bales.

Best hot-weather story I ever read was from the late R. S. Hoover, the aero-VW expert (aka, the OTHER Bob Hoover).

He lived in the desert, and often wore minimal clothing. One day he was welding in his shop...nude, except for a leather welding apron.

He saw UPS truck pull in through his gate, and strolled over to accept the shipment. He got to his house as the truck got there, and noticed the driver was a woman.

He was very careful to always face her, basically hiding behind the apron. He accepted the package and signed off the paperwork. She had a bit of a...smirk...the whole time.

Bob kept facing her as she drove away. As soon as the truck was far enough away, he turned around to go back to his shop.

And realized he'd been standing in front of a picture window in the front of his house. A HIGHLY REFLECTIVE picture window.....

Ron Wanttaja

It rarely gets hot in Seattle, but this is my favorite way to cool off....

Ron Wanttaja

I come from a farm in Kansas near a small town. Early 60's the high school football coach had a list of us boys willing to help put up hay. The farmers would call him when they needed help. I was busy all summer long.

I come from a farm in Kansas near a small town. Early 60's the high school football coach had a list of us boys willing to help put up hay. The farmers would call him when they needed help. I was busy all summer long.
Last summer I spent at home, we put in 15,000 bales of hay, " I Was busy all summer"

Up to 94 today at the house.

Last night I put new pads in the swamp cooler and today the max temp in the house was 71. And using as much electricity as a box fan.

Last night I put new pads in the swamp cooler and today the max temp in the house was 71. And using as much electricity as a box fan.
Me no like swamp coolers. Too much humidity put into the air. Central Air rocks!

Swamp coolers are great in a very dry climate.

Latent heat energy is as close as you can get to energy that costs nothing.

Me no like swamp coolers. Too much humidity put into the air. Central Air rocks!

The sun just set, and the humidity inside the house is 26%. The outside temp is 89 with 10% humidity.

I'll have to turn the swamp cooler off in about 30 minutes as it will be too cold inside.

But yeah, when monsoon season hits and the outside humidity gets up around 50-60%, the swamp cooler doesn't work all that well. But the outside temps will be in the mid to low 70s, so the ceiling fans take over. Living with out A/C rocks.....especially with this months electric bill at $71.73

I lived in WV for 18 months, between Huntington and Charleston and the humidity there never quit.....ugh.

Today in OKH was 73 light breeze, I had a difficult time making out Mt Rainer. Tonight it's 58
no problem sleeping.

Those days are looong gone. The last "Football team" I had up here lasted about 2hours, even at .25 a bale. Andthat was probably 15 years ago. The best labor I had was some Mexican boys who would come around seasonally. Worked at a regular pace, never complained, took a half hour to eat lunch then back at it till the job was done.

Thanks to the Canucks, it is 73 here today and showery (still humid) instead of 95. Woohoo! Thanks Canada!

Humidity and temp down today ,just got back from flying, before the rain.

You also live in Ohio.

I'd love to live someplace where a swamp cooler would be effective, and then I would absolutely use it.

You also live in Ohio.

I'd love to live someplace where a swamp cooler would be effective, and then I would absolutely use it.
I experienced swamp cooler life in the Cali desert at a friend's house several times. Wasn't impressed. Luckily my apartment there has central air for some reason. I wasn't going to argue. LOL

Don't you live and work in the cool sky somewhere's? LOL

Only in the -900. I'm not sure the packs in the -200 work so well - at least that's how it feels when I'm in the back. :)

It's all a lie,, put on by the Oregon chamber of commerce, they don't want ya there either. :)

here now, 71 degrees, see for ever clear, We paid 6 months of glumey days for today.

If you weren't here this week, you missed summer, TNS

Remember we are a democrat state, to change your toilet, you must have a building permit,, $12

Back