Tom Petty Dead

Ugh. Today has turned out to be be a crappy day. RIP Tom Petty, and all those who perished in Las Vegas.

Just taken off life support.

Sigh...dammit. This one hits pretty hard for me - his songs were kind of a soundtrack to my early childhood.

RIP Tom Petty :(

Damn I am bum out. Great musician and band, plus a cool cat. RIP Tom, thanks for the tunes. One of the greatest rockers ever.

9380a49794177bfd171b938d3adf1ec6

Another legend gone.. RIP :(

Two of the best songwriters/performers this year, Greg Allman and Tom. Still not over Greg, been listening to his stuff a lot. Just bought his new solo album. Now I'm gonna go make my Petty playlist.

Troy Gentry
Don Williams
Glen Campbell
Chester Bennington
Chris Cornell
J. Geils
Chuck Berry
Butch Trucks

All gone in 2017.

Just capped off an already crappy day for me. Tom was my hero. My rock and roll idol of sorts.

Full Moon Fever was really my gateway drug into rock. Before that, I was just some kid who listened to things my parents did. Tom Petty at Red Rocks was the first concert I ever went to on my own. Got to see him several times since.

Tom was the impetus for me to learn guitar. Turned me on to Rickenbacker guitars. Through his music I found so many others and my musical vocubulary exploded. But I always came back to TP and my main influence.

Pretty much feeling kicked in the gut. Can only imagine the pain that Mike, Benmont, Ron, Steve and Scott are feeling right now.

One of the greats. Whether solo, with The Heartbreakers, or with the Traveling Wilburys, he rocked and did so exceptionally well. He will be missed.

But, if he had died, it would have been heartbreaking.

(Blatantly stolen from purple)

Last edited:
He’s just running down the road to Mary Jane’s last dance...

Bummer. Never saw him in concert, but was on the short list of the bands my wife and I have been waiting to come around again. Now we'll never get the chance. :(

By all accounts he was one of the genuine nice guys in the business, too. RIP

Sad. Love his music. There was something just so cool about him.

I can't say his music was my thing, although I do like a couple of his songs, but he was talented and I have always had a lot of respect for him as a musician. I am sorry to see him go. At least he never became the walking mummies that Keith Richards and Mick Jagger have become.

FYI as of 5:30pm PST he is not dead contrary to widespread reports...he was pulled off life support with DNR orders earlier today and is not expected to make it through the day/night but he is still clinging to life as of this moment.

FYI as of 5:30pm PST he is not dead contrary to widespread reports...he was pulled off life support with DNR orders earlier today and is not expected to make it through the day/night but he is still clinging to life as of this moment.
That is indeed sad.

Saw him in concert a couple times. Have a couple of his albums. He is/was definitely one of the great ones. I'm praying for you Tom... :(

Man I just hope he's not suffering waiting to pass. I guess they may have him on something for pain. God bless you TP.

Man I just hope he's not suffering waiting to pass. I guess they may have him on something for pain. God bless you TP.
Likewise. In times like those, death isn’t always the worse outcome, but rather a blessing.

Back