Tom Petty Dead

Unbelievably sad, but it reflects a lot on who he was. A guy with a passion for music and an amazing drive to share that music and passion with others. That drive, that mission is important in understanding who Tom was.

That he would power through a tour at that age with a fractured hip is amazing, but again, who he was. I saw him for the last time this summer in Connecticut (I took the photo below). You couldn’t tell he had any physical problems. But the huge grin on his face the entire show was infectious.

God, I miss him.

25eff3ef326cee9e086ec8e288015556.jpg

God, I miss him.

Now every time one of his songs comes on while I'm driving, I'm bummed and think ya left way too soon. What's even sadder was that was probably the last tour show TP & Hearbreakers were discussing doing.

Now every time one of his songs comes on while I'm driving, I'm bummed and think ya left way too soon. What's even sadder was that was probably the last tour show TP & Hearbreakers were discussing doing.
Actually, by the end if it, they were talking about it being the last Big tour, but they seemed to have every intention of continuing to do live shows/small sporadic tours.

Bigger downer for me is he wasn’t done writing and recording. That is where I feel the deepest loss. The idea that there are no more studio albums coming sucks. Fortunately, they (the Heartbreakers) were so prolific in the studio that there is plenty of unreleased stuff to come, including the double album re-release of Wildflowers.

Actually, by the end if it, they were talking about it being the last Big tour, but they seemed to have every intention of continuing to do live shows/small sporadic tours.

Bigger downer for me is he wasn’t done writing and recording. That is where I feel the deepest loss. The idea that there are no more studio albums coming sucks. Fortunately, they (the Heartbreakers) were so prolific in the studio that there is plenty of unreleased stuff to come, including the double album re-release of Wildflowers.

You ever hear the story of who his guitar instructor was back in Gainesville? I'm sure you have, but if not, Don Felder (Eagles) who gave lessons at the music store to pay off a guitar he wanted.

Say what you want about Prince, the man could play, and that induction ceremony with Petty and the band was awesome. Now to think that both are gone far too soon for the same stupid reason is beyond maddening.

Say what you want about Prince, the man could play, and that induction ceremony with Petty and the band was awesome. Now to think that both are gone far too soon for the same stupid reason is beyond maddening.
That performance was outstanding.

Dude was on fire playing that geetar. You could tell from the looks on their faces the other musicians were blown away. Wasn't George Harrison there too? His song?

Dude was on fire playing that geetar. You could tell from the looks on their faces the other musicians were blown away. Wasn't George Harrison there too? His song?
George Harrison's son was on stage, playing. Harrison died in 2001, that performance was in '04.

George Harrison's son was on stage, playing. Harrison died in 2001, that performance was in '04.

Yeah that's what I thought, just has been awhile since I've seen it. Think I'll watch it now....

Sad. They both had a lot of music left in them. I'm so glad I finally got to see a Petty on this last tour. Awesome show.

Very true. I think Prince’s eccentricity turned a lot of people off, but from everything I’ve heard, he actually had a lot of humility.

Speaking of the While My Guitar Gently Weeps performance, shortly after Prince died, Tom was telling the story that during the rehearsals, Prince was holding back, feeling a little unsure and asked the group if he should play it true to the original? Tom actually told him to go off and run with it and own it. He sure as hell did. Great performance.

Back