Todays Music Rant

Go check out The Avett Brothers.

Let's not be so hasty...
Hey if you're going to hold me responsible for disco then Evapilot's gotta take the fall for Hair Metal.

Nauga,
and his stylish poodle cut

Question:

Does anybody know what the end of a rap, or hip hop song sounds like? My observation of those that enjoy that "music" can never, ever, make it to the end of the song before they change it to another. Go and observe and see if I'm wrong.

By the way, I agree there is lots of good music out there, but not a load that is earth shattering original. That's OK by me though. No complaints.

Thanks to 6PC and Nauga. I enjoyed both videos. The first for the graphics and animation and the second for the music.

A singer/songwriter friend of ours started a popular, Grammy-winning, pre-Beatles '60s folk group. He's still at it, writing and doing concerts around the country. He spends a lot of his time on tour taking the group to local schools, hoping that kids might get the idea that "music is more than something that vibrates your car."

Speaking of underground musicians. :rolleyes:

Nauga,
and Jim Carroll

Boo. Killed by a careless pilot, even. :(

I remember the days mtv actually played music videos.

Yeah.

Karen and I stumbled across folks who upload complete top X (10,20,30,40) annual hit song lists complete with their old real music videos on YouTube the other night.

I have no idea how they're getting around the copyright censors but we enjoyed something like three hours of it via AppleTV the other night. Did 1977 thru 1979 from one uploader and then 1983 through 1999 from another.

Some of the videos only played a portion of the song (the top 40 ones usually) but it was enough to get us singing along. Also gave me lists of stuff that either had fallen out of my digital collection or never got added through inattentiveness, even though at one time I owned all the vinyl or dad did. Time to replace it all for iOS playback love. :)

Great interview with Mick Fleetwood recently (I forget where) describing that during and after Rumors the band members started demanding their hotel rooms be painted specific colors (well, he and Stevie Nicks did anyway) and the record label found it safer to simply announce to the band and crew the time and location to come pick up their pre-measured and tested safe cocaine allowances than to let the band or crew attempt to source it locally and create bigger problems.

Mick claims he can't believe he didn't kill anyone back then. Probably true.

Watching the few good videos of their live concerts from then, you can really see how strung out and high they were, on stage.

Was fun to count the number of Phil Collins songs in the top lists through the 80s. One could almost make that into a drinking game. Dude owned it back then.

Also was fun to see the old Robert Plant videos with his girl band again. Hadn't seen that in years. And the Dire Straights videos. Cindy Lauper and Madonna look really tame compared to now. As does KISS. Heh. That was "hard rock" back then?! LOL.

The hair / arena rock band videos are fun too. Outfits on the Van Halen guys are downright hilarious looking back.

P.S. Someone posted this awful thing to Facebook the other day and I had to re-share it as "Your daily WTF from China"...

The world that pays no attention to Korean "K-POP" probably first realized the genre existed when "Gangnam Style" went viral.

Now various "C-POP" songs (well if you can call them that) have gone viral...

http://cheezburger.com/66291969

Also have to say, most of the REMAKES of "All About That Bass" have kicked the original's ass, hard. The 1940's styled trio probably topping that "chart" with a couple that had a real bass singer in close second or third.

It's fun to watch the remakes come out only days after originals now. Some are really good. Even significantly better than the original.

"Get off my lawn!"

Any generalized faults you want to place on a whole generation can be squarely blamed on the generation that proceeded them, and so on.

Failure is failure. You can make it about anything you want, but most of today's crop of legal age failures are like roaches, and just as useful.

Hey I'm not saying it's good, just appropriate:

It makes more sense if you remember '80's music videos.

Nauga,
who also wonders when Ozzy became an actor

There's a lot of crap from every decade, but also a lot of good stuff. I've got some favorites from the 40s all the way to today. And I've had "Rolling in the Deep" stuck in my head all morning. My kids, 13 and 16 like the stuff from today, but not as much as they like 70s and 80s hard rock.

It's funny, my 48 year old mom and my 19 year old brother enjoy the same kind of music, today's pop crap...My dad and I, however, listen to 70's and 80's rock...I'm a huuuuggee Fleetwood Mac fan, and I catch a lot of crap because, really, how many 20 year old males listen to Fleetwood Mac?? ;)

3. Maybe 4.

My boys like SRV. I know a lot of kids/teens who listen to older music in addition to new music.

My son (19 years old) is a dedicated 70s rock & roll fan. Led Zeppelin is his by-far fave. Doors. Jimi. He knows it better than I do, and I grew up then (was more into country in those days, not so much any more since country became LosAngelized).

He has started buying vinyl, too!

Well 20 years ago I did.

10 years ago for me.

TV is crap, all I watch is sports and news, just like my Dad. Except most news is crap these days as well, so I only watch the local news.

3. Maybe 4.

My son (19 years old) is a dedicated 70s rock & roll fan. Led Zeppelin is his by-far fave. Doors. Jimi. He knows it better than I do, and I grew up then (was more into country in those days, not so much any more since country became LosAngelized).

He has started buying vinyl, too!

Have you tried 95.3 and (if you can get it) 95.9? Red dirt, not Nashville crap. 95.9 plays some interesting stuff, Carolyn Wonderland for one. I watched her open for Frank Marino, so not exactly country, but pretty good. There is some good stuff if you can avoid the clear channel curse.

What I don't get is when you listen to a station that plays the 60's 70's and 80's, and they still only play the same 40 songs. I'm not even in my truck that much, and on back to back days I hear Ladies Night. GTFO with that ish.

You have thousands and thousands of songs to choose from, and you still repeat songs? You suck.

That is my biggest gripe with classic rock radio I've heard the same handful of songs for decades. But I guess if you are in the business of triggering flashbacks might as well use the most reliable triggers.:lol:
What I don't get is when you listen to a station that plays the 60's 70's and 80's, and they still only play the same 40 songs. I'm not even in my truck that much, and on back to back days I hear Ladies Night. GTFO with that ish.

You have thousands and thousands of songs to choose from, and you still repeat songs? You suck.

I've gone to Pandora One, $35/yr, no commercials, higher quality streaming, more skips. Seed it with the music you like. Also, not tied to one receiver like XM, works across all portable devices and your home computer.

Associated rant: The homogenization and corporate monopolization of America.

There was once a time when:

• Cities had independent radio stations, now clear channel, iheart, etc.
  • There were local soft drinks, now Coke and Pepsi
  • There used to be local snacks, now mostly Frito Lay
  • There used to be many more mom-n-pop restaurants, now chains
  • There used to be local hardware stores, now Ace and the boxes
  • Etc etc etc.
We are shifting towards one life experience no matter where in the country you live.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves!! I don't understand the popular music today, (I get it - to each his own) but I'm constantly being berated for my choice of music because "I don't fit the profile" :mad2: I feel as if my IQ is dropping when I listen to some of the music today, and everyone tries to force it on me, they don't understand why I can't stand to listen to it. I never force my music on anyone else and I rarely make anyone listen to it because I understand most don't like metal. But, oh well. *rant over*

I've gone to Pandora One, $35/yr, no commercials, higher quality streaming, more skips. Seed it with the music you like. Also, not tied to one receiver like XM, works across all portable devices and your home computer.

I cancelled several XM subscriptions and switched to Pandora and Spotify and get a lot more variety. SiriusXM by and large suffers from the same playlist issues that terrestrial radio does. And band-themed 'stations' just plain suck, especially when they dump semi-decent programming to do one.

We are shifting towards one life experience no matter where in the country you live.
There will always be local bands but some towns are better than others for that. :D

Nauga,
who grew up around a thriving local music scene

Associated rant: The homogenization and corporate monopolization of America.

There was once a time when:

• Cities had independent radio stations, now clear channel, iheart, etc.
  • There were local soft drinks, now Coke and Pepsi
  • There used to be local snacks, now mostly Frito Lay
  • There used to be many more mom-n-pop restaurants, now chains
  • There used to be local hardware stores, now Ace and the boxes
  • Etc etc etc.

I have about 3600 mp3s ripped from CDs that I have on my home NAS, my laptop, an MP3 player, etc...

We still have Faygo up here for soft drinks. ;)

Eh, I don't care what others listen to. I've been a metalhead for almost 30 years, and listen to a lot of metal that most other people consider just noise. As long as I can listen to what I want to, people can judge me as much as they want.

I do listen to a lot of other genres though, but I stick to the heavier hardcore metal genres.

I wonder what ATC would do if I called up with some Napalm Death blasting in the background :)

-Brian

I wonder what ATC would do if I called up with some Napalm Death blasting in the background :)
"Calling Center, you are weak and unreadable." :rofl:

Nauga,
and his wrench music

I love metal but I hate when older rock music starts to fall into that category.

I have been guilty of admitting I like metal and gotten responses about Van halen, AC/DC, Zepplin, etc I realize we are not talking about the same thing.

It is like: Rock + 20 years = Reclassify as metal

C'mon Metal ballads were the best of the 80's music.:lol: Did those bands do those willingly or did the labels force them?

Back