Todays Music Rant

evapilotaz

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Drone airspace abuser
My kids are all into todays music crap and I just cannot catch on to it.
Can the artist if that is what you call them actually sing? :dunno:
I could be a pop star as well with all the Techno Mixing.

I'm the product of being a Teen in the 80's so that is the kind of music I enjoy. Singers with actual talent.

Ahhh long live the days of parachute pants, leather paints, break dancing and chilling to Lionel Richie songs.

I get tired of the radio battle with the kids on long trips. They keep changing the station. I say "My car My radio get over it" After that they plug into their smart phones and listened to their downloaded music. :rolleyes2:

Rant over.

I'm the product of being a Teen in the 80's so that is the kind of music I enjoy. Singers with actual talent.

Ahhh long live the days of parachute pants, leather paints, break dancing and chilling to Lionel Richie songs.

I get tired of the radio battle with the kids on long trips. They keep changing the station. I say "My car My radio get over it" After that they plug into their smart phones and listened to their downloaded music. :rolleyes2:

Rant over.

:yeahthat: there's a bit of a battle between me and my 10 yr younger wife about music too.. My stepkids are BANNED from listening to miley and justin, and any of that other garbage in my house.

If you want to understand a generation's music, you need to do that generation's drugs. Drugs change man, music follows.

Today's music reflects today's kids, spoiled, phony, intellectually lazy, missing the point in every possible way, and so utterly useless that it won't survive the current generation.

"Today's music" has a pretty wide range. There is good stuff out there, it just doesn't get play on TV and the mainstream radio stations.

I listen to a huge range of music, and my kids have been subjected to the same. They have their preferences, but they do like some of the stuff I listen to (classic rock, alternative, a bit of blues, Jimmy Buffett (a category of its own), even some heavy metal. They fall asleep to jazz in the car. I really don't care what they listen to so long as the lyrics aren't overtly crude. My almost 8-yr old has been learning/playing acoustic guitar for 1-1/2 years now, mostly classic rock titles.

Today's music reflects today's kids, spoiled, phony, intellectually lazy, missing the point in every possible way, and so utterly useless that it won't survive the current generation.

"Get off my lawn!"

Any generalized faults you want to place on a whole generation can be squarely blamed on the generation that proceeded them, and so on.

Most stations play the same top 20 or 40 crap songs over and over. Here in NY that is what majority of the stations are. I have to go out and seek new good music, because the radio just doesn't play it.

"Today's music" has a pretty wide range. There is good stuff out there, it just doesn't get play on TV and the mainstream radio stations.
The same can be said of music from the '60's...'70's...'80's...every generation.

The music on the radio is aimed at those with the musical intellect of a 5 year-old.

This is especially true of most classic rock stations (at least those in the MidWest).

There is good stuff out there, it just doesn't get play on TV and the mainstream radio stations.
This. There's a lot of good local (wherever you are) stuff out there that reminds me of the 60's. there's some serious underground talent that, thanks to a ton of independent labels, home recording, and MP3 distribution, is finally getting some distribution beyond handing out cassettes at local shows. Dang, I'm old, and I think the DIY/Low-Fi movement is some of the best music I've ever heard.

Nauga,
who thinks autotune is the devil's spawn

The same can be said of music from the '60's...'70's...'80's...every generation.

The music on the radio is aimed at those with the musical intellect of a 5 year-old.

This is especially true of most classic rock stations (at least those in the MidWest).

Corporate radio. Look for small privately owned stations that play what interests you. I listen to Red Dirt/Texas country music because its the only non-clear channel stations around.

Any generalized faults you want to place on a whole generation can be squarely blamed on the generation that proceeded them, and so on.
Disco was not my fault, but I apologize on behalf of my generation all the same :rolleyes:

Nauga,
who was happier when disco was dead

What's "radio"? Most folks today are listening to Pandora, XM-Sirius, and the dozens of other sources, if not their own iTunes/MP3 libraries. Other than some local news at times, probably less than 5% of my listening is to broadcast radio music. The music scene is fracturing rapidly, and it's a great thing. Lots more opportunities for good talent to be found outside of the traditional labels.

Amen to that, brother.

Though, maybe not the survival comment. I think c*ap "music" is here to stay.

So let's turn on the radio ... and .... screeching talentless monkeys it is.
Let me put on SRV's album, that will calm me down.

It's funny, my 48 year old mom and my 19 year old brother enjoy the same kind of music, today's pop crap...My dad and I, however, listen to 70's and 80's rock...I'm a huuuuggee Fleetwood Mac fan, and I catch a lot of crap because, really, how many 20 year old males listen to Fleetwood Mac?? ;)

What's "radio"? Most folks today are listening to Pandora, XM-Sirius, and the dozens of other sources, if not their own iTunes/MP3 libraries. Other than some local news at times, probably less than 5% of my listening is to broadcast radio music. The music scene is fracturing rapidly, and it's a great thing. Lots more opportunities for good talent to be found outside of the traditional labels.

I listen to both. I spend hours listening to Pandora and Spotify while I'm riding my bike, and I occasionally here some pretty good stuff. But I'm tuned in to the radio when I'm in the car.

XM is a mere shadow of what it was 10 years ago...might as well be a clear channel network.

...how many 20 year old males listen to Fleetwood Mac?? ;)
Only ones who know them more for "Oh Well" than "Rumors" :D

Nauga,
who can't help about the shape he's in

XM is a mere shadow of what it was 10 years ago...might as well be a clear channel network.

Agree, it used to be better, but still better than the alternatives for my purposes. I was a very early subscriber to XM. I spend a fair amount of time driving where neither 3G or 4G service are available, so it still makes sense for me.

Are you all saying I'm getting old at 45. What bugs me is classic music being remix to make it sound modern. Give me a break. It sucks

You betcha.

Every generation complains about the next's choice in music. Even Louis Armstrong was controversial in the early 20s. And that "Charleston" dance got banned in a number of places.

What bugs me is classic music being remix to make it sound modern. Give me a break. It sucks
Bands have been covering songs and 'updating' them since music was two rocks banging together. And there have always been bad covers and bad cover bands.

And it breaks my heart to hear Sid Vicious' cover of "My Way" being used to sell cars. :mad2:

Nauga,
and the great rock and roll swindle

Bands have been covering songs and 'updating' them since music was two rocks banging together.

Exactly. I didn't even realize when I was younger how much of the music I listened to in the 70's/80's was covered or sampled from much older stuff.

I remember the days mtv actually played music videos.

That lasted what, 2-3 years?

I was never a fan of music videos. Kind of like taking a good book and making a movie out of it, it ruins some of the meaning of the song (book) to the individual listener (reader).

I like bands covering other songs. Especially if they put it in a different genre

Rant over.

Have you had that "Oh my God! I'm now my dad!" moment yet?

Back