To buy or not to buy

Matt C

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt C
Hello all. I am new to PoA. Low time PP SEL in Michigan. I have an opportunity to purchase a 1966 C172 for around $20k. 3500 TTAF and 1500 SMOH, paint is ok, interior is useable, instrument/radio package is pretty good. I have searched threads here and purchasing sites elsewhere and I'm still struggling with the decision as I am doing this on a marginal budget and I understand that the TBO is 2000 hours. It sounds like that is going to make a $20k airplane a $30-32k airplane in the near future. Part of the reason that I am considering purchasing is that there aren't many great rental opportunities around my location. I would appreciate opinions about how others may look at this scenario. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to POA and Happy Thanksgiving. I dont have an opinion here but certainly others will. What kind of flying do you see yourself doing?

You can run the engine past 2000hrs if everything is sound. Get a pre buy inspection that will give you and idea of the condition of the plane.

You can do a lot better for 20k

Think beyond what you learned to fly in, youll be much better of for it

That is a good buy, and will be one of your cheapest options to fly. And, you will fly more if you own than if you rent.

Go for it, and enjoy it.

That is a good buy, and will be one of your cheapest options to fly. And, you will fly more if you own than if you rent.

Go for it, and enjoy it.

Sounds pretty good, so I agree as long as you get the prebuy. So 500 hours until TBO, that's a lot if you fly say 100 hours a year. Five years gives you time to build up that overhaul fund. ;)

Hello all. I am new to PoA. Low time PP SEL in Michigan. I have an opportunity to purchase a 1966 C172 for around $20k. 3500 TTAF and 1500 SMOH, paint is ok, interior is useable, instrument/radio package is pretty good. I have searched threads here and purchasing sites elsewhere and I'm still struggling with the decision as I am doing this on a marginal budget and I understand that the TBO is 2000 hours. It sounds like that is going to make a $20k airplane a $30-32k airplane in the near future. Part of the reason that I am considering purchasing is that there aren't many great rental opportunities around my location. I would appreciate opinions about how others may look at this scenario. Thanks in advance.
The TBO is 1800, but who cares, the 0-300 is well known to go past TBO. I'd be more concerned with the material condition and what has been placed in the last 500 hours. at $20K it is probably worth the price if it is corrosion free.

Invest in a compression test. Dont get too excited. Be willing to walk away. Before you go further, find another one so you can say "well, if you change your mind on the price call me. Im going to go check out this other one" and it is the truth. You will go check out the other one if the deal is not right.

But remember, its going to need some repair as old as it is...

Invest in a compression test. Dont get too excited. Be willing to walk away. Before you go further, find another one so you can say "well, if you change your mind on the price call me. Im going to go check out this other one" and it is the truth. You will go check out the other one if the deal is not right.

But remember, its going to need some repair as old as it is...
Would you walk away from a $20K 172 because it needed a cylinder?
Just know any aircraft you buy will need repair.

If the plane is realist in the value/price it will sell fast. So many planes are priced unrealistic and owners live in a dream world of what they think their baby is worth, prices long gone and unrealistic.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Plane will need money budgeted for annual inspections and maintenance. Figure a cylinder or two in the future as possible issue. Get a good prebuy done then decide.

I think it is a great deal, depending on paint and avionics. Assuming all mechanical and airframe is decent. I bought a 1960 172. Flew it for 3 or so years. Sold it for what I had in it. Person I sold to flew it for 3 years and they are asking 1500 more than they paid.

Get an A&P that knows that model motor well. He will tell you what you can expect after he reviews. He will borescope each cylinder and likely the crankcase. Best way to know rather than speculate.

All good advice above. I own here in Michigan too...where would be your home field? Would you hangar or tie down? (Here in Michigan hangar means much more use...and less hassles too like hail, bees nests, frost, etc, but obviously more monthly cost).
Also, ask yourself what's wrong with renting? Renting is usually much cheaper for those who are not trying to rack up hours. I own for convenience: I have a job where I only know at the last minute if I can fly for an hour or a weekend.

I think it is a great deal, depending on paint and avionics. Assuming all mechanical and airframe is decent. I bought a 1960 172. Flew it for 3 or so years. Sold it for what I had in it. Person I sold to flew it for 3 years and they are asking 1500 more than they paid.

Not even sure the condition of the paint would be important at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to POA and Happy Thanksgiving. I dont have an opinion here but certainly others will. What kind of flying do you see yourself doing?
Hi Sam. Thanks for the welcome and I hope you have a happy Thanksgiving as well.

Mostly practice for a while - I've been out of it for a bit. Short trips (200-300 mi. max.) for my wife and I after that.

All good advice above. I own here in Michigan too...where would be your home field? Would you hangar or tie down? (Here in Michigan hangar means much more use...and less hassles too like hail, bees nests, frost, etc, but obviously more monthly cost).
Also, ask yourself what's wrong with renting? Renting is usually much cheaper for those who are not trying to rack up hours. I own for convenience: I have a job where I only know at the last minute if I can fly for an hour or a weekend.

I will hopefully be flying out of 61d. Same timing for me - it's always last minute and spare time....

It's not the purchase price....it's the cost to keep the beast running. If the thought of having $2-3,000 maintenance bill scares you....you aren't yet ready for this. These 40 YO planes take $$$$ to keep fed.

Thanks for all of the responses.

I am flying out with my A & P friend Saturday to go over it a bit better. I think this will be my "pre-buy". I am also going to make the purchase contingent on passing a fresh annual.

I really appreciate how fast everyone added their two cents. It's helpful to have the affirmations and perspective otherwise.

It's not the purchase price....it's the cost to keep the beast running. If the thought of having $2-3,000 maintenance bill scares you....you aren't yet ready for this.
Maintenance cost and hangar are already considered. The big stuff like overhaul/re-build is a bit intimidating. Thanks

I will add my welcome, Matt. Good to have you here.

As far as the C-172, if it is flying now, it is likely worth $20,000. When you and your A&P go look at it, see if you can wrangle a short flight to be sure everything works like it is supposed to. If so, the $20,000 isn't bad. The big expenses can pop up, but that is just a risk you take. You will definitely fly a lot more if you own.

Maintenance cost and hangar are already considered. The big stuff like overhaul/re-build is a bit intimidating. Thanks

I am doing an overhaul right now....

I deliver $5k checks every week or two to my mechanics, gave them a credit card to charge stuff....

Hoping at the end I just owe a small amount and never bother to add up what it cost.

Matt, I've been flying an O-300 Continental 66 G-model for almost 10 years now. I love it, but admit would love something faster. That said, I can putter along at 6.5 gph all day long. If 2-300 mile trips are what you'll be doing with just you and your wife, it's a fine ship for that mission. Yes it's a bit underpowered but most of the time it's just me. This summer I removed the rear seat & main gear pants to save some weight and flew with my buddy and our camping gear from Columbus OH up to Sault St Marie, over to Copper Harbor and down to Oshkosh, then home in my trusty steed. I've yet to have a 2-3k bill, but they CAN happen. Whenever I need something fixed and it's <$500 I'm always thrilled, cuz airplanes aren't cheap.

Where's the bird located?

Matt, I've been flying an O-300 Continental 66 G-model for almost 10 years now. I love it, but admit would love something faster. That said, I can putter along at 6.5 gph all day long. If 2-300 mile trips are what you'll be doing with just you and your wife, it's a fine ship for that mission. Yes it's a bit underpowered but most of the time it's just me. This summer I removed the rear seat & main gear pants to save some weight and flew with my buddy and our camping gear from Columbus OH up to Sault St Marie, over to Copper Harbor and down to Oshkosh, then home in my trusty steed. I've yet to have a 2-3k bill, but they CAN happen. Whenever I need something fixed and it's <$500 I'm always thrilled, cuz airplanes aren't cheap.

Where's the bird located?

Your story sounds like exactly what I'm hoping for. Funny you'd mention camping too, I'm hoping to do the same in Ludington, Baldwin, the Upper Peninsula, etc.

I am a bit concerned about the fact that they are slightly underpowered. I fly off of a tight-ish strip (61D) and don't want it to be a chore in the summertime. I have flown a 172 from the same airport with a STOL kit installed and it was about as close as I like on a hot day.

The plane is in Dowagiac, MI. (C91) - fairly close to home base.

I am doing an overhaul right now....

I deliver $5k checks every week or two to my mechanics, gave them a credit card to charge stuff....

Hoping at the end I just owe a small amount and never bother to add up what it cost.

Best of luck with it. Smart approach spreading out the pain. I hope it turns out great.

I will add my welcome, Matt. Good to have you here.

As far as the C-172, if it is flying now, it is likely worth $20,000. When you and your A&P go look at it, see if you can wrangle a short flight to be sure everything works like it is supposed to. If so, the $20,000 isn't bad. The big expenses can pop up, but that is just a risk you take. You will definitely fly a lot more if you own.

Thanks for the welcome!

[...] I fly off of a tight-ish strip (61D) and don't want it to be a chore in the summertime. [...]

2650 ft. will be fine, unless you want to carry much more than a single passenger and full tanks. We also had a 172G, which we operated out of the 1D2 airport with a 2600 ft. runway. With a typical load of 400 lbs. of people + gear and full tanks we needed, depending on the density altitude, between 1,000 and 1,400 ft. to get off the ground. Not great, but by my understanding pretty typical for O-300 powered 172s.

Sounds like a nice plane for an IMHO very good price. The engine is however relatively high time, probably it has also been overhauled a long time ago. It might or might not make it beyond TBO. You might therefore want to take the costs for an engine overhaul into consideration and decide, depending on your personal situation, whether you want to spend more now on another plane with a lower time engine or if you'd rather have it overhauled within the next few years yourself. Usually, buying the better plane is in the long term cheaper...

Last edited:
My first airplane was a 172, get a good prebuy,by a knowledgeable mechanic,enjoy the flying,you probably will want to move up sooner than later.

Just for fun, I look at/for inexpensive planes too,,, for a 172 I found this,, I like it gooder than yours...

1966 CESSNA SKYHAWK • $19,500 • FOR SALE • 4607 TT, 1599 SMOH, March 2016 annual, no known damage history, KX170B Navcom AT50A Transponder, Intercom system, Wheel pants, shoulder harness. See spec sheet for complete details. • Contact Glenn Crabtree - CRABTREE AIRCRAFT COMPANY, INC. located Guthrie, OK USA • Telephone: 405-282-4250 405-306-7243 • Fax: 405-282-3130 • Posted November 8, 2016 • Display Specs PageShow all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

Admittedly not the most elegant looking aircraft, the flying milkstool however also offers quite a bang for the buck. Better take off performance and faster cruise (hard to believe but true) than a O-300 powered 172 as well. Plus, a separate door in the back:

PIPER TRI PACER • $19,000 • FOR SALE OR TRADE • 1954 Tri Pacer 3677 TTSN, engine 620 SMOH, hangered at KUNI Albany Oh, annual inspection done June 2016 . Annual done by Ohio University Maintenance. Many new parts at 2015 and 2016 annual. good stable flying plane. Call and test fly, talk with the people that have done the annual and updates. Times will change slightly as I still fly when I get the opportunity. Make offer. Trades for automobiles or motorcycles considered. call or text Ralph Sams 740 541 8562. • Contact Ralph Sams, Owner - located Albany, OH USA • Telephone: 7405418562 . • Posted November 1, 2016 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

And another one:

TRIPACER 150,CLEAN,LOWTIME • $19,000 • FOR SALE BY OWNER • Clean, low time, well cared for,1957 tripacer 150.Aprox 2000 TTAE , mid time mattituck engine. All bells and whistles, including, new cleveland brake system.new tires, interior, exhaust, and light wt. battery.KX170B nav com.King mode c xponder, gps, full gyro panel, egt, mp, engine preheat and strobe.Aux fuel gives over 5 hr. range.Stitts poly fiber and nice pa int. new annual with sale.needs nothing. Located Virginia. Howard Barrett 904 477 0151. 2 airplane owner, must sale. • Contact Howard L. Barrett, Owner - located Austinville, VA USA • Telephone: 904 477 0151 . • Posted November 21, 2016 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

160 hp Piper PA-28:

PIPER PA-28-140/160 LOW TIME • $22,500 • FOR SALE BY OWNER • 1968 Piper PA-28-140 with 160 hp engine. Airframe: 2665 TTSN, Engine: 314 Since NEW, KX-125 Nav/Com, II Morrow/Garmin Apollo 2001 GPS. This is a great VFR four-seater airplane for affordable personal travel, family fun, training, time-building...whatever you like! It runs like a champ. Good compressions. Annual completed 8/16. We've taken good care of it. Currently at GTF(Great Falls). • Contact Nicholas R. Dawson, Owner - located Twin Bridges, MT USA • Telephone: 4065643989 . • Posted November 9, 2016 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

By the way, Matt, we had a C-172G for almost four years. It had the O-300 engine, which was mid-time when we bought it. The only problem we had with the engine was the tendency to foul a plug while taxiing if we didn't lean it. It was a great airplane. Our home airport is 6,000', but we flew into 2,600' strips. It was never a problem with just my wife and I aboard. It had the Horner wing tips and gap seals to help a little. I think (based on talking with other pilots) you could add VG's fairly inexpensively and it would improve slow speed performance a lot.

Just for fun, I look at/for inexpensive planes too,,, for a 172 I found this,, I like it gooder than yours...

1966 CESSNA SKYHAWK • $19,500 • FOR SALE • 4607 TT, 1599 SMOH, March 2016 annual, no known damage history, KX170B Navcom AT50A Transponder, Intercom system, Wheel pants, shoulder harness. See spec sheet for complete details. • Contact Glenn Crabtree - CRABTREE AIRCRAFT COMPANY, INC. located Guthrie, OK USA • Telephone: 405-282-4250 405-306-7243 • Fax: 405-282-3130 • Posted November 8, 2016 • Display Specs PageShow all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

Hi Robert, I tried to look at the ad and Barnstormers wouldn't let me open it. Out of curiosity, what do you like better with this one? The TBO is about the same as well as age and equipment. The interior does look nicer....

Keep in mind for 20k you can get a REALLY nice C150, Grumman AA1, Aeronca chief, and a few others.

Better to have a pristine 2 seater, than a ragged out quasi 4 seater. Also lower fuel burn, more fun to fly, cheaper to work on, again unless you're fat, buying a 172 is silly, and even when you're fat, better to just stop eating and get a 2 seater

160 hp Piper PA-28:

PIPER PA-28-140/160 LOW TIME • $22,500 • FOR SALE BY OWNER • 1968 Piper PA-28-140 with 160 hp engine. Airframe: 2665 TTSN, Engine: 314 Since NEW, KX-125 Nav/Com, II Morrow/Garmin Apollo 2001 GPS. This is a great VFR four-seater airplane for affordable personal travel, family fun, training, time-building...whatever you like! It runs like a champ. Good compressions. Annual completed 8/16. We've taken good care of it. Currently at GTF(Great Falls). • Contact Nicholas R. Dawson, Owner - located Twin Bridges, MT USA • Telephone: 4065643989 . • Posted November 9, 2016 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdView Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

I saw this one today too. I'm intrigued but still not excited about the one entry door.

How does everyone else feel about relying on a passenger to exit the plane in a hurry should it be necessary?

Thanks for the tip.

Back