To all my friends...

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
Please stop dying. And if you've already died, please undo it before I find out.

Just found out that one of my MSF instructors (that's Motorcycle Safety Foundation for you cagers out there) was killed in a motorcycle accident last week. That makes two friends I found out about having died in the past week, and 4 total friends for the year, all great people who are truly missed.

And watch out for motorcycles!

That is all.

Please stop dying. And if you've already died, please undo it before I find out.

Just found out that one of my MSF instructors (that's Motorcycle Safety Foundation for you cagers out there) was killed in a motorcycle accident last week. That makes two friends I found out about having died in the past week, and 4 total friends for the year, all great people who are truly missed.

That is all.
Sorry for your loss Ted. Ironically, I also found out about a friend of a friend who was killed in a motorcycle accident yesterday. Life is precious.

Be safe all!

I am really sorry to hear this.

I consider you a friend and I am 100% committed to not dying and so far have an amazing track record.

But really... sorry about your friend.

Reactions: Ted
I feel for you. I had a friend die in a motorcycle accident. Not a lane change goes by where I don't wonder whether there's a motorcycle in my blind spot.

I would dearly love to have a motorcycle, but the mere thought of owning one in the city chills me. Once, I almost took out a guy and gal on a Hog, and I was stone-cold sober and in no hurry. He was saved by skill, and gave me a look that is with me 38 years on.

Try to be mindful of bikes.

And Ted, it sucks to lose friends.

So, like he said, y'all be careful, ok?

I normally don't make posts about friends or family dying, but 4 this year, 2 this week, is just getting to me. I won't be able to make the funeral for this one, unfortunately, which also gets to me.

Ted, my condolences to you and the families/friends for the losses.

There's never too few of them. My mother is on her 80s, born during the Depression. She says when it's your time, it's your time. To go to a better place, that is.

I would dearly love to have a motorcycle, but the mere thought of owning one in the city chills me.
I hear ya. Part of me would like to own one as well, but it does give me a sense of fear knowing that I'd be out riding among the idiots on the road. It's the other guy you've gotta watch for. I suppose I could just use it for that Saturday afternoon joyride in the country, but I've never been able to get over that hump.

I would dearly love to have a motorcycle, but the mere thought of owning one in the city chills me. Once, I almost took out a guy and gal on a Hog, and I was stone-cold sober and in no hurry. He was saved by skill, and gave me a look that is with me 38 years on.

I basically gave up riding when we lived in Ohio. The drivers in Ohio were terrible, the worst I've seen in the world. I didn't feel safe driving a car there, much less a motorcycle. Indiana (where my friend lived) wasn't a bad place to ride. Drivers here in Kansas are significantly better than Ohio, and my commute is mostly low-traffic roads at low-traffic times. I do avoid riding in the heart of the city, though, and only ride on nice days anymore during daylight. I'm done with riding through thunderstorms and at night, did enough of that when I was single. In PA I did have a couple of close calls on motorcycles and took a few breaks because of them, but really most of those were due to inexperience at the time.

The one article I saw said that my friend crossed the median and hit the oncoming car. This was a group ride so my guess is there were plenty of witnesses to what happened.

Sorry for your friends Ted... BTDT and it sucks losing your motorcycle and airplane buddies. I treat every street bike ride as if everybody is out to kill me. Same goes for flying in a sense. Always on the lookout for a place to put down should things go sideways.

Sincerest condolences, Ted. It's tough out there on two wheels, but at least it was something your friend enjoyed doing.

Ted, sorry for your loss and doubly so that you cannot attend his funeral, I know that hurts. Ironically, I live in Ohio and sold my bike several years ago because I couldn't stand Ohio cagers versus bikers. Despite the signs reminding people to look out for motorcycles, people were (and are) seriously clueless. After two separate incidents involving soccer moms trying to make me a grease spot on the pavement, my lust for bikes dulled and I decided I'd rather manage the risk of flying my airplane versus the minivan mom who never checks her mirrors.

I have a good friend who's a motorcyclist. And he's legally blind. He wears special glasses when he rides. (he's also a kick-ass software developer)

He got hit by a motorist last month. He didn't die, but he has had multiple surgeries and is hoping to walk again in 5 or 6 months. Fortunately his arms and fingers are fine so he's still able to work.

Please share the road!

Sorry Ted. You're having a bad year for that, that's for sure.

I'm also concerned that it's only your friends who shouldn't die, however.

This is not nice to your enemies. It's also probably insulting to those who don't know you. ;)

I hear this "knowing people who've died" thing keeps getting worse as we all get older. Which, of course, sucks.

And they don't really warn us about it when we're young and invincible.

Ted, I'm sorry for your loss. I'll be careful, but I still love to ride. Did a 1250mi backroads trip last week, loved it! Over 500k mi on two wheels, still here.

Sorry about your friends Ted.

I would dearly love to have a motorcycle, but the mere thought of owning one in the city chills me.

It should. Dallas is a horrible place to be a biker. Ive ridden since I was 8. Im pretty good at it, but I almost get taken out every time I ride around here. I essentially gave up skydiving because of motorcycles. I couldn't stand my wife riding in Dallas. I traded her my jumping for her motorcycle. It was a good trade.

Ted, I'm sorry for your loss. I'll be careful, but I still love to ride. Did a 1250mi backroads trip last week, loved it! Over 500k mi on two wheels, still here.

I did debate on whether to ride to work this morning. I'd been planning on it with the beautiful weather, but questioned it after hearing the news. Here was my decision:

ride2work.jpg

(no, the Camry is not mine)

I was reminded of how Wayne responded when asked if he would still fly following the crash of his 340 and death of his partner. "Well if he died in a car crash I wouldn't have walked to the funeral."

Cliff would have wanted me, and all of us, to keep riding, especially on days like today. His funeral will have a large number of motorcycles present. Were it not for some other things that prevent me from attending, I'd ride out and be one of them. Of course we also need to stay safe and vigilant. I'll stick to riding in the daytime and where the traffic is reasonable, and the drivers are good.

I'm nowhere near your 500k on 2 wheels mark. Realistically I'm probably in the 10-15k range, 20k on the high end. But I also haven't done the really long motorcycle trips that you've done. Laurie and I want to, but just not happening now with the kids.

Sorry Ted. You're having a bad year for that, that's for sure.

I'm also concerned that it's only your friends who shouldn't die, however.

This is not nice to your enemies. It's also probably insulting to those who don't know you. ;)

I hear this "knowing people who've died" thing keeps getting worse as we all get older. Which, of course, sucks.

And they don't really warn us about it when we're young and invincible.

It is up to other people to provide similar instructions to my enemies or people I don't know. That's not my job. ;)

None of us are getting out of this alive, so we all know what the ending will be, we just don't know where, how, or when. As we get older, it theoretically gets worse since our friends get older and thus more will die of natural causes. I think one of the things now is that more people I know are dying at a "younger than expected" age. When I was younger, most of the people I knew or knew of who died had lived long lives - dying in their 80s or 90s. My grandfather was perhaps the young one, dying at age 76, but he got prostate cancer. In the 80s, that was still a death sentence. It's easier to accept people dying at those advanced ages (at least right now) since they had a good run. I imagine as one gets older it gets harder, since it gets closer to your turn, and it's a reminder of that. But you've been through it more, too.

I have a number of friends who are older than me, so the price for that is that I'm statistically more likely to see them die. I better get some more younger friends so that I'll still have friends when I get old. ;)

I'm nowhere near your 500k on 2 wheels mark. Realistically I'm probably in the 10-15k range, 20k on the high end. But I also haven't done the really long motorcycle trips that you've done. Laurie and I want to, but just not happening now with the kids.

And I am nowhere near the pilot you are, so we're even, especially since I've been grounded so long[1]. I wish I was as confident flying as I am on a bike.

You need to do some long trips sometime, hopefully by backroads, as backroad travel is a wonderful thing. I will do almost anything to avoid riding I-roads on the bike.

[1] I've been talking with Bruce about BasicMed, SI's, and medical testing. Too soon to tell for sure, but a prelim look see says I may be able to get there.

I actually feel safer on a motorcycle than I do on a bicycle. I recently sold my motorcycle, not out of fear of riding it, but I guess I've become spoiled with heating in the winter and air conditioning in the summer and I just haven't ridden it enough to justify keeping it. I might get another at some point in time, but if and when I do it will be something a lot lighter than what I had before.

Sorry for your losses Ted.

I actually feel safer on a motorcycle than I do on a bicycle.

Ain't that the truth! I commute to work in the city by bicycle (rode today), but I feel kind of helpless. Can't really accelerate, swerve, or brake well, just ride on the right side and hope no one squishes me.

Sorry to hear that Ted. It's really terrible. I've been riding bikes for more than 20 years now. Probably about 50kmi altogether with a few offs and broken bones(ironically not on the street). I don't do it much now. Maybe 2kmi in the last 5 years. Not enough time mostly. I've been thinking about selling my bikes for years now. Just can't seem to pull the trigger. Too much emotional attachment. My riding(sport bike) is mostly on country roads though. Very little traffic, single lane 90%. I hate highways not so much due to cars, but due to boredom. But on nice days I do ride a scooter to work on a highway(in traffic).

And I am nowhere near the pilot you are, so we're even, especially since I've been grounded so long[1]. I wish I was as confident flying as I am on a bike.

You need to do some long trips sometime, hopefully by backroads, as backroad travel is a wonderful thing. I will do almost anything to avoid riding I-roads on the bike.

[1] I've been talking with Bruce about BasicMed, SI's, and medical testing. Too soon to tell for sure, but a prelim look see says I may be able to get there.

Yeah, I may not be quite average on the pilot scale...

The one almost iron butt trip I did was to Oshkosh in 2008. My boss at the time rode his Goldwing and I rode my VTX 1800. We went from PA up through Buffalo, across Canada to Sault Ste. Marie, spent the night up there (that was about 750 miles in a day) then we came through the UP and down to Osh. Woke up one morning (I think it was the Thursday) and decided to ride home. So hopped on the bike around 6 AM and rode down through Chicago and picked up I-80 the rest of the way back to PA. That was 830 miles. Was strongly considering going to NYC to say I did the even 1,000 miles to claim an Iron Butt, although I think to make it official you have to document it rather than just do it on a whim.

Laurie and I bought our current bikes (my 2009 Ultra Classic and her 2007 Street Glide) planning to do long trips. 3 kids later, it's not happening anytime soon, but will eventually. And yes, plan will be the backroads to get where we're going.

We've also thought about some motorcycle vacations. Fly to Colorado and rent a couple of bikes from the Harley dealer to go tour the mountains.

Glad to hear you might get back in the sky! That'd be excellent!

Very sorry for your loss. If we choose to live active lives and participate in some of the riskier pursuits, we'll have friends that do likewise and this sort of thing will happen from time to time. That doesn't make it any easier when it happens, though, and you do have my most sincere sympathies.

I gave up commuting on my bike after the last time my car was rear ended. Had I been on the bike at the time I'd be dead. Now I just enjoy riding back roads in the country and avoid the high traffic areas as much as possible.

Stay safe.

upload_2017-5-16_10-22-8.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-16_10-21-52.png
    upload_2017-5-16_10-21-52.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Very sorry for your loss. If we choose to live active lives and participate in some of the riskier pursuits, we'll have friends that do likewise and this sort of thing will happen from time to time. That doesn't make it any easier when it happens, though, and you do have my most sincere sympathies.

I gave up commuting on my bike after the last time my car was rear ended. Had I been on the bike at the time I'd be dead. Now I just enjoy riding back roads in the country and avoid the high traffic areas as much as possible.

The ironic bit is that last week I was talking to another motorcycle friend, and saying how none of my friends had died in motorcycle crashes, although two friends of mine have been killed in shootings. My friend who died in this motorcycle crash was already dead when I said that. :(

But yes, this will happen from time to time, and those of us in active lifestyles will know more people who die in these manners. We'll also end up knowing people who die in car crashes, and from cancer, and virtually every other form of death possible.

I did debate on whether to ride to work this morning. I'd been planning on it with the beautiful weather, but questioned it after hearing the news. Here was my decision:

View attachment 53569
That photo reminded me of when I owned a motorcycle and would ride to work at KSUS when we lived in Lake St. Louis, Missouri. We lived where there wasn't a lot of traffic in the early 1980s. I sold the motorcycle after moving to Arvada, a suburb of Denver, which was more congested, even then.

Sorry for your loss. My first Colorado friend was killed on her BMW a few years ago; rear ended by a drunk driver while stopped for road construction.

Deals Gap?

Yep. Killboy.

I mostly avoid the Dragon, though. Too crowded, too many idiots. Even if you're careful, someone can come around the bend in your lane and you're screwed. I much prefer the Cherohala or the ride south of the Gap down to the dam. My very favorite road is the Richard Russell near Helen.

We'll also end up knowing people who die in car crashes, and from cancer, and virtually every other form of death possible.

Also a function of growing older. I've resigned myself to the sad fact that, from now on, every year I'll lose one or two family members or friends, and the number will likely increase every year until it's my turn.

Yep. Killboy.

I mostly avoid the Dragon, though. Too crowded, too many idiots. Even if you're careful, someone can come around the bend in your lane and you're screwed. I much prefer the Cherohala or the ride south of the Gap down to the dam. My very favorite road is the Richard Russell near Helen.

There are many other lesser known roads in the area that are very entertaining. I hit the Gap maybe once every three or four years these days, it's become a freak show. Cops, cruisers skidding off the road, squids, it's a mess. Yes, Richard Russell Raceway...er...highway is very nice.

That photo reminded me of when I owned a motorcycle and would ride to work at KSUS when we lived in Lake St. Louis, Missouri. We lived where there wasn't a lot of traffic in the early 1980s. I sold the motorcycle after moving to Arvada, a suburb of Denver, which was more congested, even then.

I've gone through on-off times riding.

Bought my first one in December 2004, a 1984 Kawasaki KZ700 with over 100,000 miles on it. Lied to my mom and told her a friend asked me to pick it up for him when she yelled about having it in the back of my pickup. Kept that for 6 months, sold it for a profit. At the end of the summer I picked up a Suzuki Bandit 1200S (similar to the one @jesse had, although mine was older). Kept that around 9 months, sold it for a profit, too. I rode the Bandit to my MSF courses when I took those.

After I moved to PA and started my career, I bought a Yamaha VMax, which I kept for about a year and sold. That bike had one great thing about it - the engine. The suspension and brakes were crap. It also had been geared for acceleration, which was fairly ridiculous for that bike. Ended up selling that in the summer. Had a few close calls on it that were enough to scare me for a bit.

That winter I bought a Honda Interceptor 800i. Great bike that I got for a great price. Rode it some, but decided it didn't have enough torque. Ended up selling it and bought the VTX 1800, which I rode to Osh.

Somewhere along the line I ended up getting the RC51 Frankenbike, which had been wrecked and I un-wrecked. That was a great bike that I loved riding around the twisties in PA, although there was something with that bike where it wasn't happy going under 90.

When Missa got her FJR1300 I rode it home from CT to PA for her. Eventually she realized that the FJR was not a good starter bike (she received plenty of advice on this prior to her purchase decision), so I bought that from her, rode it a while, and sold it. That was a great bike. Laurie and I actually had our first riding date on it. The only problem with it was that it sounded like a dishwasher. I always thought the FJR1300 needed the engine from the VMax, and then it would've been about near perfect.

Picked up a TL1000 that didn't work sometime, flipped that. A friend of mine wanted to learn to ride out in PA. I taught him to ride and got him a good deal on a friend's Yamaha Seca II (great starter bike). He also got a KZ1000P (start singing the CHiPs theme in your head now) which we rode around some. At one point there were 5 bikes in the garage - Laurie had her Harley Sportster 1200 and the Triumph Daytona 675 I got her, which was a whole 'nother story.

After we got married we got me the Ultra Classic and traded her Sportster for a Street Glide, and that's basically been it for bikes in the household.

I like riding the Harleys more now, mainly because I can happily cruise along in them at any speed. With the sport bikes, it felt like if you weren't racing you were riding them wrong. The FJR was sort of a good in between there. Problem with the Harleys, though, is they're slow and their handling is pretty poor. On the sportbikes I do overall feel safer just because I can out handle, out brake, and out accelerate everything. My Harley is also pretty anemic, being one of the 96" variants. Part of me wants to put a bigger engine in just for more power and more options.

So I think that makes 9 bikes I've owned in a 13 year motorcycle career, with another 5 or so that I had effectively owner-type access to.

I loved motorcycles till I moved to Lincoln. I was debating on selling them all when an illness forced the issue. Out of the 4 licensed family members only one still rides occasionally.

Probably belongs in another thread, but in no particular order, over 25yrs of riding:

Yamaha SR500
Yamaha RD350
Suzuki DR350S
Honda CBR600F2
Honda VFR750F Interceptor
Honda VTR1000F Superhawk
Honda CBR600F4
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Triumph Speed Triple 955i
Triumph Street Triple 675
Suzuki SV650
BMW R1150RT
Honda GL1500A Goldwing

Harley Davidson FHLX Streetglide
BMW S1000RR
Ducati MTS1200 Multistrada
BMW R1200GS

The ones in bold stick out in my mind as ones I really liked for one reason or another.

*** Edit: forgot one, the S1000RR. What an insane bike, 193hp.

Last edited:
We've also thought about some motorcycle vacations. Fly to Colorado and rent a couple of bikes from the Harley dealer to go tour the mountains.
Sorry to hear about all of your losses:frown:.

FYI there is a Harley dealership walking distance from FNL (Fort Collins-Loveland, now Northern CO regional). Big runway and cheap tie downs, uncontrolled airport, in the flat part of the state. And just outside Rocky mountain national park.

Last edited:
I had a Kawasaki Ninja 500 for two years and put 10,000 miles on it during that time. I was living in Boston and learned to ride it there (after the MSF course). I had a lot of fun but also way too many near death experiences. I also wiped out once and luckily limped away with minor injuries. I've gotten it out of my system and I don't think I'll ever get another bike. I was also single at the time and now my wife would never let me get one.

Probably belongs in another thread, but in no particular order, over 25yrs of riding:

Yamaha SR500
Yamaha RD350
Suzuki DR350S
Honda CBR600F2
Honda VFR750F Interceptor
Honda VTR1000F Superhawk
Honda CBR600F4
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Triumph Speed Triple 955i
Triumph Street Triple 675
Suzuki SV650
BMW R1150RT
Honda GL1500A Goldwing

Harley Davidson FHLX Streetglide
Ducati MTS1200 Multistrada
BMW R1200GS

The ones in bold stick out in my mind as ones I really liked for one reason or another.

That's a great list Bill, and Ted's log is very interesting also. I started riding dirt bikes at 11 y.o. and progressed up the food chain for several years, and then gave it up when I started flying. I do miss it, but I don't miss the shenanigans from care, and truck drivers. My small list:

Honda 50cc Minitrail
Honda XC70
Yamaha XT250
Triumph 750 Bonneville (cafe'd)
Norton 850 Commando (cafe'd)
Kawasaki KZ900

I'd like to get an Aprilia RSV4, or a Triumph Thruxton, but that ain't happening anytime soon.

Back