Tiredness after Flying

Renesh Kumaresan

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Turb0123
Hi everyone,
I'm a student pilot, and I wanted to know how many get very tired after flying. Every time I fly, which is an hour every month, I get very hungry after flying. Also, my thighs and tailbone slightly hurt, but the pain goes away after a few hours. Does anyone know why this happens? By the way, I'm only 14.

Thirst is easily mistaken for hunger so it's quite possible, likely even, that you are dehydrated. The air is dry, all of your senses are being stimulated rather heavily, and you are learning/being taught a lot of information in a short period, so I think some level fatigue is expected.

Hi everyone,
I'm a student pilot, and I wanted to know how many get very tired after flying. Every time I fly, which is an hour every month, I get very hungry after flying. Also, my thighs and tailbone slightly hurt, but the pain goes away after a few hours. Does anyone know why this happens? By the way, I'm only 14.

Make sure you get good sleep after you fly. And yes I was always hungry after flying, because I wouldn't eat breakfast and I wouldn't get back until 2-3 after flying because I was so worried about getting sick.

Make sure you get good sleep after you fly. And yes I was always hungry after flying, because I wouldn't eat breakfast and I wouldn't get back until 2-3 after flying because I was so worried about getting sick.
So then why didn't you eat breakfast if it was concerning to you? If I did that, my performance would be sub par and I'd feel like crap the whole time.

Flying...especially when learning...can be very mentally and physically demanding. I learned at a rapid pace and discovered that preflighting my body was just as important as preflighting the plane. For me, making sure I had a good solid meal before the flight that wasn't loaded with sugar and crap was critical to remain focused and not get exhausted.

Everyone reacts differently and at 14 you can seem invincible but what you eat can drastically effect how you preform mentally and physically.

During training I ALWAYS had a water bottle and few snacks in my flight bag....as for the sore rump...my trainer plane seat sucked and I bought a gel seat pad that folded up and fit in my bag. One of my best investments as a student pilot!

Flying...especially when learning...can be very mentally and physically demanding. I learned at a rapid pace and discovered that preflighting my body was just as important as preflighting the plane. For me, making sure I had a good solid meal before the flight that wasn't loaded with sugar and crap was critical to remain focused and not get exhausted.

Everyone reacts differently and at 14 you can seem invincible but what you eat can drastically effect how you preform mentally and physically.

During training I ALWAYS had a water bottle and few snacks in my flight bag....as for the sore rump...my trainer plane seat sucked and I bought a gel seat pad that folded up and fit in my bag. One of my best investments as a student pilot!
Do you know of any stores that sell this gel pad?

Check Target or Walmart for the gel seat cushion. Shouldn't cost more than $25. And make sure you stay hydrated. Sun block, too.

So then why didn't you eat breakfast if it was concerning to you? If I did that, my performance would be sub par and I'd feel like crap the whole time.

Well I was worried If I ate before flying I would throw up. Luckily I didn't need to do that long because I have an iron stomach, I just wanted an extra layer of redundancy

What I'd do to make sure I'm at peak performance is good sleep, a balanced meal a couple hours before flying and drinking plenty of water.(Make sure to **** right before flying though)

Early in my flying when I was doing something outside my comfort zone like a cross country over unfamiliar territory I would find I was exhausted after four or five hours of flying because my body and mind were on high alert (frightened)
and I was task saturated.
Now that I am overconfident I am comfortable flying eight and it is about the same as riding a comfortable motorcycle. More than eight hours of flight time still tires me out.

Thighs. I know that one. That's from being tense on the rudder pedals. Pushing with both legs at the same time on the rudders. When I first started flying I'd having trouble walking when I'd get out of the plane because I had just spent the last hour standing on the pedals.

Thighs. I know that one. That's from being tense on the rudder pedals. Pushing with both legs at the same time on the rudders. When I first started flying I'd having trouble walking when I'd get out of the plane because I had just spent the last hour standing on the pedals.
This. Yep been there done that. Its so much easier when you're not pushing against yourself. One foot at a time man!

When I was a student pilot, any time I took a particularly long solo flight, my instructor would comment "You'll sleep well tonight." Could tiredness after flying partly be due to the altitude, i.e., spending time at an altitude higher than one's body has adapted to?

When I was a student pilot, any time I took a particularly long solo flight, my instructor would comment "You'll sleep well tonight." Could tiredness after flying partly be due to the altitude, i.e., spending time at an altitude higher than one's body has adapted to?
I think there's something to that as well for longer highish altitude flights. During training I think it's just hyper alertness and being tensed up non stop.

I think a lot of it has to do with being tense. I remember being tense when I was learning too but it went away as I got more comfortable in the airplane. Keep hydrated and just try to relax. I know it's hard to keep calm because it's so much fun. :)

Flying is very dehydrating. It's a fine line between drinking enough fluids and not needing to pee.

Definitely. For flights above 10k for more than an hour, or any flight more than 2 hours or at night, I'm always on O2.

At higher altitudes, there's less O2.

I know it seems odd, but I experienced this same issue until I stopped using head clamp style headsets and started using the in ear ones. It's also probably stress from nerves, take deep breaths and remind your self to relax.

I know it seems odd, but I experienced this same issue until I stopped using head clamp style headsets and started using the in ear ones. It's also probably stress from nerves, take deep breaths and remind your self to relax.

I used to use the green head clamps, not ANR. After 8 hours in the air I was just absolutely worn out. Changed to a comfortable headset with ANR and the difference was like night and day.

I'd say it's normal. After a good long flight, I can take a great nap! Even more so if you're learning and flying. Flying is fun, but your body and mind know it's serious business. You are thinking continuously, and moving muscles not often exercised. Take care of your body, but the mental strain cannot be underestimated.

I'm a student pilot, and I wanted to know how many get very tired after flying.

As a student you are tense during the flight. Your body and mind are working overtime at prolonged, heightened levels. Also some react to altitude differently (read up on effects of oxygen deprivation and hypoxia). As you fly higher the % of effective oxygen drops. At sea level it's 20.9%, at 3k it's 18.6%, at 8k it's 15.4% and at 10k it's 14.3%.

I get that too, specifically my right inner thigh. I never really realized that until now. I don't feel like I'm pressing on the rudders all the time during flight but I must do it enough to get sore.

I wanted to know how many get very tired after flying. ...I get very hungry after flying. Also, my thighs and tailbone slightly hurt, but the pain goes away after a few hours. Does anyone know why this happens? By the way, I'm only 14.
I don't remember back when I was 15 and flew 1/2 hour per week. Now, though, that's exactly how I feel after roller skating. I'm only 69.

dtuuri

I get that too, specifically my right inner thigh. I never really realized that until now. I don't feel like I'm pressing on the rudders all the time during flight but I must do it enough to get sore.

Yep. It was something I finally figured out about 3/4 of the way through my training. I just thought I was thankful to be back on solid ground after spinning around in the pattern. But like exncsurfer said, it's from standing on the rudder pedals and putting positive pressure on both sides at the same time, basically fighting yourself. I still find myself doing it from time to time, then relax and watch the yaw come out.

Back when I was training I would get tired after my first few solo XCs... I think the majority of the fatigue was purely mental. It's a big mind game on you both subconsciously and consciously to know that you'll be flying a plane, by yourself, and flying far from home and back with nobody to depend on but yourself

I don't really get tired at all anymore, however I do get crazy thirsty so I bring plenty of water when I fly

I get that too, specifically my right inner thigh.
Yup... my legs get sore after flying. I never really understood why, I always assumed it was a circulation thing but the "pressing on the right rudder the whole time" makes perfect sense. Incidentally, that's one of my gripes on the 172. I feel like in the Archer and Cirrus you can cruise along with your feet more or less on the floor but in the 172 I have a constant couple pounds of pressure on the right rudder

I try to trim most of it out but there is a trade off. If I trim the rudder, the right wing gets heavy.

Yup... my legs get sore after flying. I never really understood why, I always assumed it was a circulation thing but the "pressing on the right rudder the whole time" makes perfect sense. Incidentally, that's one of my gripes on the 172. I feel like in the Archer and Cirrus you can cruise along with your feet more or less on the floor but in the 172 I have a constant couple pounds of pressure on the right rudder
Yup, gotta love rudder trim on the cherokee!

I used to use the green head clamps, not ANR. After 8 hours in the air I was just absolutely worn out. Changed to a comfortable headset with ANR and the difference was like night and day.

I had a chance to pick up a Bose A20 with a sweet deal and couldn't pass it up. I flew my first 5 hours with an old standard DC and felt fatigued after just an hour. The last 13 hours with the A20 have been a world of difference.

I remember as a student especially early on, after a 1.5 hours lesson, I was wiped.

That's definitely a potential issue. So is dehydration. And stress or even just sustained focus.

I try to trim most of it out but there is a trade off. If I trim the rudder, the right wing gets heavy.

My Cherokee almost doesn't even need right rudder on climb out it's so minor...that's one thing about the 140 I don't like...you could fly that thing all day with no rudder other than crosswind landings. I try to use the rudder in my turns just to make a habit out of it

Initial flight training is a high stress environment, and strong thirst is a reaction to stress, per USAF survival school. And you're burning through the sugar stored in your liver pretty fast, too - you're tense, muscles tightened, likely abs very tight (you're not/not relaxing, and sitting back in the seat, right?). Thirsty, hungry, tired - all normal.

Basically, you're somewhere between very tense and scared spitless - all normal, and it'll fade with exposure (look up "operant conditioning" on Google). Basically, you'll become familiar with the stressors, and they'll become less so.

Just hang in, it'll get better. Hydrate, sleep, and eat some carbs with a protein.

Others gave you good advise on fluids and food. I would say start doing some sports. (More than what you do at school). I noticed that after hitting the gym for 2-3 times per week, my endurance on the weekend training flights improved a lot better. Do some serious cardio maybe once a week but make sure you do strength training 2 or 3 times. Build your muscles, they will support you in all aspects of your life!

Since you're 14 I'll only say to consider it a work out of a different set of muscles. If you went kayaking you'd feel it too since it's left/right foot against the oar stroke. The prior opinion that you are also generally tense while getting use to this flying thing is probably part of it.

I now do 3 hour legs pretty easily. Closer to 4 hours can be a stretch in the bladder department. :(

Drink lots of water. (and take a pee bottle). General conditioning (walking,running, weight lifting etc) helps. So does stretching.

If someone breaks out a pee bottle in my airplane I will slap the crap out of em! No pee dribbles on my seat.... Ain't gonna happen :)

Back