Tired of cocky CFIs

Weird thing in my AFM:

If I have two (adult) passengers, I am not allowed to have both of them in the rear seat.

Which is odd, because I am still within W/B if they are.

Prolly refers to your parents--don't want you alone at the controls without adult supervision.

dtuuri

Weird thing in my AFM:

If I have two (adult) passengers, I am not allowed to have both of them in the rear seat.

Quite possibly would there be any references to being opposite genders and having affinity for one another in those quaint quarters?

i gave a ride to a newly minted cfi and his cfi instincts immediately kicked in. I tought it was hilarious. the dude didn't have more flight time or actual cross-country experience than i did. I guess you can learn from everyone.

Weird thing in my AFM:

Can they fit physically in the back seat? Can the seat itself take the weight? How about its mount to the airframe?

Some 172s and 182s came from the factory with child seats in the cargo areas. I've never seen one IRL, but it's in the POHs. In both cases, the load is limited to 120 lbs, even if W&B is good.

Can they fit physically in the back seat? Can the seat itself take the weight? How about its mount to the airframe?

Some 172s and 182s came from the factory with child seats in the cargo areas. I've never seen one IRL, but it's in the POHs. In both cases, the load is limited to 120 lbs, even if W&B is good.
Those baggage compartment seats were also available for the Cessna 150. I flew one that had it installed. Basically 2 adults in the front and 2 toddlers in the back.

i gave a ride to a newly minted cfi and his cfi instincts immediately kicked in. I tought it was hilarious. the dude didn't have more flight time or actual cross-country experience than i did. I guess you can learn from everyone.
I firmly believe that you can learn from everyone. Sometimes the lesson is what you ought not to do. :D

It's a Comanche, so yes, yes, and oddly enough the bench seat is not mounted to the airframe. It rests in a cradle, and is anchored by the seat belts, as they run between the backrest and seat cushion. There is no prohibition against putting two adults in the rear seat. Only a prohibition about putting two adults in the rear seat if I only carry two passengers. So carrying 3 other adults with 2 in the rear is not an issue. Carrying 2 other adults with no one in the front passenger seat is.

I find it funny that the OP posted as "unregistered" and is calling some CFIs out for being too cocky. Is he too chicken**** to stand behind his comments on a public forum? Sounds like a confidence problem...I wonder how that manifests itself in the cockpit? Probably needs a good instructor to help him through that. Lol

Nah, he just needs to fly his low wing LOP while slipping with full flaps at VNo -10 kts GS.

It's a Comanche, so yes, yes, and oddly enough the bench seat is not mounted to the airframe. It rests in a cradle, and is anchored by the seat belts, as they run between the backrest and seat cushion. There is no prohibition against putting two adults in the rear seat. Only a prohibition about putting two adults in the rear seat if I only carry two passengers. So carrying 3 other adults with 2 in the rear is not an issue. Carrying 2 other adults with no one in the front passenger seat is.

Some kind of weird bending forces on something when front is lighter than back? (Just a swag at explaining the insanity...)

I find it funny that the OP posted as "unregistered" and is calling some CFIs out for being too cocky. Is he too chicken**** to stand behind his comments on a public forum? Sounds like a confidence problem...I wonder how that manifests itself in the cockpit? Probably needs a good instructor to help him through that. Lol

He probably didn't log in because if people like you. POA message boards are pretty bad and negative the majority of the time.

We see this in the airlines, someone gets hired who has only instructed for 2000hrs and their skills are next to nill. Hard to stay proficient when your not the one flying. (It's ironic because I "fly" for the airlines."). I'm also guessing what the OP is trying to say is that he is tired of the cockiness and arrogant that many CFIs have, not that their aren't some good ones out their who you can teach you things. when I was captain at the regionals I learned from my newly hired CFi first officer all the time. I learned how not to fly.

He probably didn't log in because if people like you. POA message boards are pretty bad and negative the majority of the time.

We see this in the airlines, someone gets hired who has only instructed for 2000hrs and their skills are next to nill. Hard to stay proficient when your not the one flying. (It's ironic because I "fly" for the airlines."). I'm also guessing what the OP is trying to say is that he is tired of the cockiness and arrogant that many CFIs have, not that their aren't some good ones out their who you can teach you things. when I was captain at the regionals I learned from my newly hired CFi first officer all the time. I learned how not to fly.
Some pretty strong generalizations, lol.

The problem in aviation is people associate X attitude with Y pilot because they ran into that once. Having a CFI certificate doesn't mean you know how to fly but it also doesn't mean you don't know how to fly.

2,000 hours of dual given in a 172 doesn't mean you will fly a jet any better than anyone else. It also doesn't mean that you won't.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter how many certificates you hold..and it's just as silly to make gross generalizations attacking others than it is to be the cocky CFI that the OP is complaining about.

Did you even read the OP? But you'll blame the negativity of this post on "people like me?" It's one thing to have ill-will towards a certain attitude and express it tactfully (which would likely garner a completely different response from the masses), but to tell all CFIs to "grow up" (amongst other generalizations toward the instructor populace) deserves no quarter. But that's just me. :dunno:

Hopes youse flies smarters than youse rights, captin.

dtuuri, CFI

Last edited:

:lol::lol:

I had the pleasure of doing differences training in Alaska. I remember one fellow that was instructing in Florida before he went north. I took him with me on the first day to get a look at how different flying in the bush is from instructing. The next morning he and all his personal belongings were gone.

I put this phrase in my "never use" list along with "user friendly" and "it's in the mail".

It's the most offensive thing you can say to a K-8 teacher who willingly forgoes a higher paying career because they believe teaching K-8 is the most important job around.

It's the most offensive thing you can say to that retired [Boeing, Lockheed, Raytheon, NASA, whatever] engineer who willingly teaches K-12 to inspire the kids and show them that the world is not owned by the MBAs and the World Bank.

And you insult all the CFIs who do know what they are doing, who are not there just to reach 1500 hour so they can leave.

As a 9-12 math teacher, thank you! :cheerswine:

I used to have a very beautiful CFI. She would look awesome in her uniform and sometimes would wear a tank top on those hot summer days. No mean to disrespect her but she would make every flight lesson a wonderful ride, heck, I even offered to repeat a lessom just to share a ride with her, she was gorgeous and needless to say an excellent CFI.

Well, she didn't last long in the school as she was snached up to a corporate airline. We all miss her dearly.

It probably cost me more than the average to get my PPL but believe me they it was money well spent. I loved when she called me "captain" after a good landing or maneuver.

Cute CFI = better student :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back