Tire falls from small plane into Chicago neighborhood

That may be an expensive landing, as in potential ground loop, if one of the mains were lost. Hopefully he held it off to as slow speed as possible and used as much rudder as he could to keep it relatively straight.

There will be an investigation. I hope the reason for the failure was not the lack of attention to maintenance or incorrect maintenance preformed.

Tires come off cars and trucks every day. Many times a truck tire will KILL people. It rarely makes the news.

Heck, with my airplane, if a main wheel comes off in flight, it would have been preceded by the wing.....

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited:
I liked this quote;

“It is a little freaky because where we live, we’re right in a flight path to O’Hare. We have massive planes that fly over,” Grant said. “Thank God it was a small plane, but it’s really surreal.”

That tire was HUGE compared to the ones I have.

Seems my definition and their definition of small planes is quite different. :rolleyes:

A pc12 is still fairly small IMO. Just glad nobody was killed by it.

Tires come off cars and trucks every day. Many times a truck tire will KILL people. It rarely makes the news.

I had to dodge a loose trailer wheel and tire on I-285, thank goodness it was daylight. If it had been dark, it would have come through the windshield.

Reactions: YKA
Happened to me about 5 years ago. Driving down the interstate in my Ram truck and saw the set of rear tires on a semi trailer in front of me wobbling then they came off. Tires continued rolling but parts from the hub assembly came back and hit my fender right above the headlight. Put 2 small dents in my fender. Driver pulled over up the road and his insurance covered it. Nobody hurt and tires came to a stop against the guardrails

Parents lived along a rather busy road, up about a 200' steep driveway. One Sunday my dad and I came home to a strange black swirl on our white garage door. Just then a neighbor comes walking over pretty shook up. A few hours earlier a trailer had lost a wheel which made it the whole way up the hill (we found divots in the yard, a broken shrub, and a skid mark on the front steps) and blasted the garage door. Said neighbor had been cutting grass by the road at the time, if that wheel let go a second later it probably kills him.

That may be an expensive landing, as in potential ground loop, if one of the mains were lost. Hopefully he held it off to as slow speed as possible and used as much rudder as he could to keep it relatively straight.

From the sounds of things, the tire probably came off when the gear was lowered for landing. Pilot had no idea it was missing. First clue was when the tower saw sparks flying.

Pictures I've seen of the tire make it look brand new. Probably just put on recently, and something didn't get tightened or secured. Probably a cotter pin sitting on a toolbox somewhere.

Seems to be a bearing cage there so maybe hub nut came off or axle failed. Guess cops collected bits together.

Aircraft-lost-wheel.png

The media is genuinely pathetic.. how is reporting of this poor caliber allowed?

Screenshot_20210123-195046.png

Screenshot_20210123-195108.png
Screenshot_20210123-195121.png

Really?! Holy hell

@Tantalum seems legit to me...

Single engine... check... I mean, you can see the engine! Look how unsafe that thing is!.... Small plane.... check! Wheel fell off... Welp... can't see the front wheel thingy....

In the original story first it was a tire, then a wheel then "without it's left side landing gear"... Was the plane slowly disintegrating??? Reporters..... sheesh!

...and in some way tie it back to the MAX

"The single engine Cessna PC12, flown mostly by millionaires, was flying without a flight plan and lost a major portion of its landing gear. This comes just after FAA regulators allowed the MAX to fly again after a lengthy grounding due to a poorly designed autopilot by Boeing"

...and in some way tie it back to the MAX

"The single engine Cessna PC12, flown mostly by millionaires, was flying without a flight plan and lost a major portion of its landing gear. This comes just after FAA regulators allowed the MAX to fly again after a lengthy grounding due to a poorly designed autopilot by Boeing"

It should also involve an Airplane Repo style intro...

“The PC12 is a favorite of businessmen and social media influencers. It’s capable of cruising at 600 knots with a range of 12000 miles. One of these will set you back a cool 25 million. Making Ken’s cut...well, he doesn’t want to say...”

It should also involve an Airplane Repo style intro...

“The PC12 is a favorite of businessmen and social media influencers. It’s capable of cruising at 600 knots with a range of 12000 miles. One of these will set you back a cool 25 million. Making Ken’s cut...well, he doesn’t want to say...”
The first season of Airplane Repo the guys were based nearby at VPZ. If a Cessna on a flatbed counts as a PC12, VPZ definitely counts as Chicago.

The first season of Airplane Repo the guys were based nearby at VPZ. If a Cessna on a flatbed counts as a PC12, VPZ definitely counts as Chicago.
GYY, actually. But those four episodes were real repo men and quite good. Nothing like the completely idiotic drama that the later incarnation of the show was.

I see a hubcap(I guess wheel fairing) on the other side of that plane in the picture. Would make it hard to see anything coming loose during a preflight.

Those airplane and boat repo shows are beyond fake. If they were to try that crap in real life, they would be shot in the first 4 minutes.

So, if you knew a wheel had departed from one of the main gear, what would be the correct landing procedure? Gear down and maximum brakes? (if they're still functional.)

Back