Tire falls from small plane into Chicago neighborhood

So, if you knew a wheel had departed from one of the main gear, what would be the correct landing procedure? Gear down and maximum brakes? (if they're still functional.)

I would try a gear up belly landing on the grass beside the runway.

I watched a P51 with one gear that wouldn't extend land on the other main at Oshkosh a few yaers back. The pilot did a tremendous job. She held it level until the plane slowed dramatically and then it did a minor ground loop. I suspect the damage was less than would have happened with a belly landing.

I watched a Robin land at HEF a few years ago. They came in knowing that the nose gear had come off (never got the story about how that happened). Again, land nicely on the mains keep the nose up as long as possible and then a lot of sparks as she came to a stop on the stub of a strut.

I would try a gear up belly landing on the grass beside the runway.

I see this idea offered up often with the expectation grass is less damaging than pavement.

One, you are still going to bend up the belly skins. Two, unless you have driven those grassy areas, you have no idea what is hiding out there. Holes, manholes, storm drains, culverts, you name it. They are not nearly as smooth as you think. Three, you have know made it harder to recover your aircraft, because there may not be a solid surface to work with.

Remember, in an emergency the goal is not to save the airplane, it's to protect the occupants. A gear up landing on pavement is a non event. Worst that will happen is you twist your ankle getting out of the plane. On grass there is the possibility of digging in , pitchpoling over, or cartwheeling. I'd go for pavement anytime.

I see this idea offered up often with the expectation grass is less damaging than pavement.

One, you are still going to bend up the belly skins. Two, unless you have driven those grassy areas, you have no idea what is hiding out there. Holes, manholes, storm drains, culverts, you name it. They are not nearly as smooth as you think. Three, you have know made it harder to recover your aircraft, because there may not be a solid surface to work with.

Remember, in an emergency the goal is not to save the airplane, it's to protect the occupants. A gear up landing on pavement is a non event. Worst that will happen is you twist your ankle getting out of the plane. On grass there is the possibility of digging in , pitchpoling over, or cartwheeling. I'd go for pavement anytime.
A good test would be to get two metal toolboxes, an off-road UTV with a good roll cage, and some rope. First, drag a toolbox across a concrete runway at 60 mph. Then, drag the second toolbox across the grass at 60 mph. If you haven't flipped the UTV over by hitting a gopher hole before reaching top speed, you can compare the two toolboxes to see which one had a better ride.

Those airplane and boat repo shows are beyond fake. If they were to try that crap in real life, they would be shot in the first 4 minutes.

The first few (where they repo’d a couple Airbuses among others...I believe the ones flyingron referred to) were actually really good. But I’m guessing they weren’t “Hollywood” enough and they went down the path they are better known for.

Reactions: YKA
The first few (where they repo’d a couple Airbuses among others...I believe the ones flyingron referred to) were actually really good. But I’m guessing they weren’t “Hollywood” enough and they went down the path they are better known for.

I've never seen those, i have seen parts of 3 shows in total. Some old guy named Ken, ( i think ) and some fat loser covered in the ugliest tattoos possible. Anyone who even tried sneaking around like that in this area would either be torn to shreds by 5 guard dogs, or die of lead poisoning very quickly. The most fake of all was some clown who was stealing a boat. Myself, everyone in my neighborhood, and all of my friends are quick with a lever action rifle, and we all own multiple ones. Someone sneaking around my property, won't be asked why they are sneaking around looking like they are up to no good, they will simply be shot. If they happen to live through it, then someone might ask them why they were sneaking around, before they finished passing on. Tip for a long life, don't trespass on anyone's property. If you need to go on their property at all, you better go straight to the front door, ding the bell, and state your reason for annoying us. But sneaking around is a guarantee to invite gun fire, and most people I know are pretty damn accurate, even if it is just a little 30-30, my GF uses, she was trained to shoot a minimum of 3 rounds into anyone. Her Dad, and uncle are both veterans, who taught her to be accurate, and not just shoot once. Her 15th birthday present was a lever 30-30 and she is incredibly accurate with it.

I would still try it. Many many airports maintain a grass strip beside the paved strip for planes to use. Saw a king air 90 years ago after it had done a gear up grass landing. I was shocked by how little damage it had. No I didn't see the landing, but heard about it, so went there after for a look. He landed on purpose beside the paved strip, because grass is softer. Hopefully in my lifetime I don't ever have to make the choice for real. But pretty sure I would choose a gear up grass landing.

The Ken Cage ones are junk. The three (I thought it was four, but featuring Nick Popovich (Sage-Popovich) were really quite good. They were co-produced by Popovich. The subsequent Ken Cage farces that came two years later are a complete different production (other than being carried on the same network).

I would still try it. Many many airports maintain a grass strip beside the paved strip for planes to use. Saw a king air 90 years ago after it had done a gear up grass landing. I was shocked by how little damage it had. No I didn't see the landing, but heard about it, so went there after for a look. He landed on purpose beside the paved strip, because grass is softer. Hopefully in my lifetime I don't ever have to make the choice for real. But pretty sure I would choose a gear up grass landing.

I may try a grass strip if I had walked it, used it before and knew it well, and there was no pavement within fuel range. Landing on the grass next to pavement is not an option, unless the pavement was ripped up and is being replaced. But I'll stick to pavement. More friction, quicker stopping, less chance of hidden surprises that grass can hide.

It has been said before, use the plane to protect the folks inside. The plane already belongs to the insurance company once it fails. Trying to ''save'' the plane is just not worth the risk to folks inside.

I’m a pavement guy as well. I understand the argument for grass. My priority is saving my soft pink butt. Not the airplane. I feel much more confident on pavement to accomplish that goal.

Just my choice. Not critical of other people’s choice.

I know of a C404 which had the gear stuck up with no hope of coming down about a decade ago. Landed on a big long and wide paved runway, and was repaired within 6 months or so still flying today. The 2 guys walked off of it as if nothing happened. Walk away from the landing and the hell with the ground up metal you left behind.

Back