tips for staying coordinated in a power on stall

Another thing i see in power ON stalls, is that once I get the pilot to actually push that right rudder pedal enough while we’re very nose up, they lock that leg and then when the nose breaks they don’t ease up the right leg.

So, the airplane is a good little boy and obeys the large right yaw the pilot is now commanding. Over we go to the right. Whee....

Gotta stay fluid on the pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another one of those high-wing low-wing arguments. Although not in the ACS, every student I teach learns to recover, at altitude, from fully developed stalls. With mastery, they can be recovered from with a loss of just a couple of hundred feet. I agree that low altitude stalls cause a lot of fatalities. But I respectfully disagree that pilots shouldn't be trained to recover them.
Good point.

My impression of stall demonstrations & practice (as a not-yet-licensed student) was a) power on - demonstrated very bad takeoff technique b) power off - demonstrated very bad landing technique. Both seemed like something you'd have be an extremely ham-fisted airplane driver to accidentally do - at least when you're in a very stable, docile trainer like a 172.

Wind sheer, unexpected and unforecast turbulence, getting caught in a rotor, an aircraft that intrudes on the runway, a partial engine failure, picking up a load of unforecast and unavoidable ice and other situations can put one at danger of a stall in what would otherwise be a safe and sometimes difficult to predict or avoid situation.
I practice power-on stalls at altitude by adding significant pitch and advancing to full throttle from a take-off configuration a few knots above rotation speed to minimize the extreme pitch up. I suppose I should review the ACS and AFH.
A few days ago I did a power-on stall at 30° bank left and right with take-off flap settings to break. I kept the ball centered. (When I stall straight ahead I keep the nose from yawing.) The plane was coordinated and handled benignly. I've done them before.
Did a power-off stall at 45° bank left and right, also very straight-forward. I am not advocating these nor am I defending them, just saying I sometimes do them. My airplane does not misbehave or fall out of the sky. I have no idea how your airplane would act. I guess I treat it more as a coordination exercise, like chandelles or lazy-8s. I take comfort in knowing how the aircraft has been shown to react in these rather atypical maneuvers in case I'd ever be put into one.

It may have been already stated somewhere, but for a departure (power on stall) you start the process at the speed you'd normally off the runway. For a C172, 55 knots. As you go full power you keep pulling the nose up. You'll stall soon enough, and nothing violent.

Right rudder, right rudder, right rudder, versus what you do for an arrival (power off) stall, which has less / no P factor nor engine torque.

As with any stall practice, it's to teach you to instinctively drop the nose. Note: Don't slam the yoke down and over correct or you'll be in for quite a ride.

Personally I learned stalls by referencing the turn coordinator. If you're coordinated, you shouldn't spin.
Most importantly - know you are safe, especially with your instructor. Mine kept me from entering spins before i referenced the turn coordinator.

Personally I learned stalls by referencing the turn coordinator. If you're coordinated, you shouldn't spin.
But stalls aren't an instrument demonstration. On a takeoff, are you staring at the TC? No, you're looking at the horizon between the wingtip and nose cowl. "Fly like you train, train like you fly", to borrow a phrase.

PIlots are scared of stalls because they have never experienced what comes next. Get an hour of dual in a Decathlon or Citabria and learn how easy it is to recognize, stop, and recover from spins.

Back