Tips for first time flying to Oshkosh

Don't be afraid to go around. If it doesn't look safe, go around.

I had to go around last year. No biggie really, except the controller asked me to land the dot on downwind abeam at the numbers. Not what I'd call a stabilized approach, but boy was that fun!

The one time I flew in they were spitting runways at FISK, you couldn't know which runway you were going to get until you were there. You have to have a clear metal picture of the NOTAM to avoid getting flustered.

One fun thing to do is to visit FISK on the the ground. I've done that several times, the controllers are glad to share their experience with you.

I swear, those OSH controllers have the patience of Job. I couldn't believe the idiocy that they put up with. Pilots showed up totally lost, pilots who never heard of the NOTAM, pilots who insist that they be vectored to final ahead of everybody else, pilots who won't shut up on the radio, etc, etc, etc.

I am planing fly in 2018 Airventure. I would like to know what are the less crowded day and times to arrive. Thanks

I am planing fly in 2018 Airventure. I would like to know what are the less crowded day and times to arrive. Thanks

Well, Friday or early Saturday morning (or earlier) would be the least crowded. Outside of that it will be busiest on Saturday mid-morning through Sunday afternoon. Medium busy the rest of the week. Busiest departures after the airshow and on Friday-Saturday at the end of the week. Be aware if you're renting, you'll be burning money waiting in line to leave

Highly recommend watching the arrival videos on youtube, then match them up with Google Maps satellite view so you can know what to expect to see. Once you've done that, it just a matter of watching out for others flying the arrival

I've flew in on the Friday before the first time and it was pretty quiet, well at least compared to flying in during the week right after the air show. It was fun watching the mass arrivals and there were plenty of planes to look at but the exhibits don't open until Monday. That's not a bad thing but keep it in mind.

I will probably fly in in Friday again if I don't fly the C2O mass arrival. You get the good tie-down locations that way. This time I'd spend Sunday at the lake looking at the amphibians.

Gary

Do they allow IFR into OSH ??

Curious just how bad that would gum things up... and **** off other folks arriving.

Yes they allow IFR arrivals, if you have a confirmed reservation. However they do strongly encourage you to cancel IFR well before arriving and proceed with the VFR procedure. It's in the arrival procedure somewhere.

I flew in Saturday this year thinking it wold be somewhat mello. I was dead wrong! total chaos Sat afternoon. Evenings or early morning seem to be the best time to beat the crowds. Next year we'll plan on sat or sun evening

I always arrive a few days before the NOTAM goes into effect. Nice and quiet and the tower guys are real nice.

Marcus is right, very early in the morning very late in the evening are the slow times. From 10AM to the airshow and immediately after the airshow are really busy.

As long as we are necroposting in this thread, I may as well jump in with my questions. Is it practical to fly in and out each day or better to camp on-site? How early in the week does genera aviation camping fill up? Is there any special planning that I should do for the camping option?

Flew in Friday AM prior to the start of the show last year. Was a cakewalk. Controllers were asking where I was from and what runway I preferred. A bunch more talkative, both them and me, than is the norm on busier days.

Communting in each day is going to be a pain in the butt. Unless you have a Vintage or Homebuilt, you're going to risk not being let in at the busiest times as well. Even in Vintage, we've drastically reduced the "parking only" section so you can expect to be parked past the Fond du Lac City Limits.

Do they allow IFR into OSH ??

Curious just how bad that would gum things up... and **** off other folks arriving.
You can probably find the 2017 NOTAM that explains IFRvarrivals. The 2018 won't be much different. However, it really doesn't get you much,mif any, of an advantage unless the weather really is IMC.

Flew my rv4 in sunday morning for my first time flying into oshkosh. Wasnt horribly busy but steady. By 6pm the ga parking was full and they were turning them away.

The IFR rules haven't changed in forever, and as Murphey says, they're not likely to change for 2018. If you arrive while the NOTAM is in effect, you'll need a reservation.
If the weather isn't IMC, they'll try to convince you to cancel and go in VFR. If you go in IFR, expect to be dumped out over the lake on final for 27 (most likely) with VFRs turning in ahead of you on the approach.
I've arrived ONCE IFR. It was 900 OVC so I didn't have to contend with any VFR traffic. It was kind of neat breaking out over the show like that.

I hope to one day attend the 'Sturgis' of aviation. My dream is to fly my own plane someday.... First step, purchase an airplane lol

-MF

I hope to one day attend the 'Sturgis' of aviation. My dream is to fly my own plane someday.... First step, purchase an airplane lol

-MF
Sounds like you’re ready. You might even think about flying in with the Mooney Caravan.

I flew in Saturday this year thinking it wold be somewhat mello. I was dead wrong! total chaos Sat afternoon. Evenings or early morning seem to be the best time to beat the crowds. Next year we'll plan on sat or sun evening

That's because OSH was IFR only due to weather most of Saturday morning. As soon as it went VFR around noon it was a circus at FIsk. Interestingly, once the initial rush was over, later Saturday afternoon there were long periods with virtually no traffic.

I usually get in Friday night or early Saturday, but had to overnight Friday in Minnesota due to thunderstorms blocking the route.

Don't arrive during the mass arrivals. You will be holding and holding and holding if your not part of one of the mass types.

Back