Tips for a long, happy marriage N/A

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
AirBaker is gonna' tie the knot next month. In another thread he mentioned he forgot to check with the Mrs WRT flight schedule to Sedona. Based solely on that I figure he'll need some help for the 1st year or so. Y'all be sure to add your pearls of wisdom. I'll start:

1) "I forgot" can never again be considered a valid excuse, especially when the subject is your bride, her schedule (for her time or yours), or her emotions. You can use it but only with embellishments. Kinda' like a hotdog tastes okay by itself, but it needs condiments to taste good. (No, honey, I DID NOT say marriage is like a hotdog.)

Richard said:
AirBaker is gonna' tie the knot next month. In another thread he mentioned he forgot to check with the Mrs WRT flight schedule to Sedona. Based solely on that I figure he'll need some help for the 1st year or so. Y'all be sure to add your pearls of wisdom. I'll start:

1) "I forgot" can never again be considered a valid excuse, especially when the subject is your bride, her schedule (for her time or yours), or her emotions. You can use it but only with embellishments. Kinda' like a hotdog tastes okay by itself, but it needs condiments to taste good. (No, honey, I DID NOT say marriage is like a hotdog.)

I didn't know that "long" and "happy" could be used together in this context.:rolleyes:

Obviously, my wife doesn't read this board.:D

In any argument where you have the sudden realization that you are absolutely right about whatever it is you are arguing about, apologize immediately.

Ken Ibold said:
when she least expects it

No, not at 3am when you are rolling in from a, a ugh, a business meeting...yeah, yeah, that's it a business meeting.

Len

Greebo said:
In any argument where you have the sudden realization that you are absolutely right about whatever it is you are arguing about, apologize immediately.
My policy is I'm always right until I'm proven wrong at which point we must change the subject.

And he must remember the two most important words for a husband to know - "Yes, dear".

And I've been married for 32 years, so something must be working.

Reminds me of the world's shortest fairy tale.

Once upon a time, a man asked his girl to marry him. She said no, and he lived happily ever after.

Ed Fred - eternal bachelor.

Before going to sleep at night kiss her, on the lips, (of course) and tell her that you love her then say Good Night. Then first thing when you wake up in the morning kiss her and tell her you lover her again and say Good Morning. Do this no matter what kind of day you are having. And first thing in the morning, more than likely you will have a better day.

No I am not married, don't know if I will ever get married, but I do know that if I do get married I would want my husband to do this to me.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Before going to sleep at night kiss her, on the lips, (of course) and tell her that you love her then say Good Night. Then first thing when you wake up in the morning kiss her and tell her you lover her again and say Good Morning. Do this no matter what kind of day you are having. And first thing in the morning, more than likely you will have a better day.

No I am not married, don't know if I will ever get married, but I do know that if I do get married I would want my husband to do this to me.

uggghh, morning breath!!!!!!!!!!

N2212R said:
Once upon a time, a man asked his girl to marry him. She said no, and he lived happily ever after.

Marriage is a fine institution, if one requires institutionalizing.

igottafly said:
uggghh, morning breath!!!!!!!!!!

Ok ok ok, keep a bottle of mouthwash next to the bed on the night stand (for you both to use) and THEN kiss her in the morning and tell her you love her. :D

2212R said:

Good one! It also works the other way around.

I would tell them both:
stand back to back. Take ten steps forward...and RUN!

terry
another happy bachelor

PS--Brook's idea was good too. :)

I remember Tim "the toolman" Taylor's advice to his brother.... the words you should always say when you see her.... "I'm sorry"

You know, if AirBaker gets cold feet y'all have only yourselves to blame.

I'm reminded of what John Wayne said in the movie, North To Alaska, when he went down to Seattle. "I'd rather be with a woman who spends her time making all men comfortable than one man miserable." That doesn't apply here but it sure was funny when he said it.

Of course, by the end of the movie John was in love and aiming to get hitched.

Richard said:
You know, if AirBaker gets cold feet y'all have only yourselves to blame.

I'm reminded of what John Wayne said in the movie, North To Alaska, when he went down to Seattle. "I'd rather be with a woman who spends her time making all men comfortable than one man miserable." That doesn't apply here but it sure was funny when he said it.

Of course, by the end of the movie John was in love and aiming to get hitched.

And then in the John Wayne flick I watched last night, Island in the Sky, you didn't even know his character was married until the final lines... :D

Ken Ibold said:
Say this enthusiastically when she least expects it: "Wow, honey, you look GREAT!"

And mean it.

I have been married to the same woman for 37 years, during that time I have found that the less you say the better.

I used to introduce my wife as my first wife. ( she really is) This began to tick her off, so of course I kept doing it. Then I go smart. I've been married 16 years and I now introduce her as my trophy wife. She love that.

NC19143 said:
I have found that the less you say the better.

Ah but Tom, what do you say when she tries to read your face?!

:)

All I can say in my inexperience is what works best is to always treat your spouse with the respect that you would wish to be treated with......and have their happiness foremost in your mind! You will get it back double.

Give.

Sounds easy don't it...

Merf (25 years last week)

HPNFlyGirl said:
Before going to sleep at night kiss her, on the lips, (of course) and tell her that you love her then say Good Night. QUOTE]

Do NOT do this after a night out with the guys, however. The smell of beer on your breath cannot be easily gotten out, and it is a real give-away that you have been up to no good. Kissing under these circumstances is just another start to a good argument (and you won't really need help getting into any of those, they come freely enough without prompting).

As a certificated (and AME examined) pilot, you can no longer use some hearing loss as an excuse for not hearing that which you forgot to listen to. Take my word for this. Of course, my wife is a pilot too so she knows and was there when I passed the hearing test...

Jim G

grattonja said:
As a certificated (and AME examined) pilot, you can no longer use some hearing loss as an excuse for not hearing that which you forgot to listen to. Take my word for this. Of course, my wife is a pilot too so she knows and was there when I passed the hearing test...

Jim G

Ah, but there was a study done that showed that men have a harder time processing the frequency range of the female voice. May have even been posted as a link here.

Ghery said:
And he must remember the two most important words for a husband to know - "Yes, dear".

And I've been married for 32 years, so something must be working.

I have been using "Yes dear" now for 24 yrs. Works for me.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Ok ok ok, keep a bottle of mouthwash next to the bed on the night stand (for you both to use) and THEN kiss her in the morning and tell her you love her. :D

Or kiss her shoulder while you snuggle against her back, good morning sweetie.

Eric - 23 years

Let'sgoflying! said:
Ah but Tom, what do you say when she tries to read your face?!

:)

All I can say in my inexperience is what works best is to always treat your spouse with the respect that you would wish to be treated with......and have their happiness foremost in your mind! You will get it back double.

Give her the deer in the headlights look and the ""What" gesture.

ejensen said:

Eric - 23 years
My sweetheart is NOT a morning person...
"Dad, did you wake up grouchy this morning?"
"No, son. I let your mom sleep in."

Greg - 20 years in a few months

My wife and I divided up the responsibilities. She makes all the small decisions, I make all the big ones. Thankfully, there have yet to be any Big decisions to make :D

But seriously.... The single most important thing.....compromise :yes: (closely followed by fine gold jewelery).

Steve
(9 years in November, original Internet marriage!)

ejensen said:

Or let the dog kiss her. Our German Shorthair's head is right above bed level at the perfect height. She'll never know the difference. :)

Ken Ibold said:
Nor is mine. "good morning" is an oxymoron akin to "FAA help."

Trust me...it is worse when it is the other way around.

"The only time you get up early is to go flying."

Which is not true. I also get up early if I have to be in the office early.

Len

Mine is grouchy only if I try to get her up. We both don't mind laying around waking up slowly.

"We have to leave at WHAT time for Page this Thursday?"

The secret to my 29 years of happy marriage (I've been married for 31 years but I know she's been pis*ed at me for at least 2 of those years) has been to realize that I am responsible for the big decisions (i.e. How we feel about the UN, whether the war in Iraq was wise or not, is global warming for real, etc) while my wife deals with the trivial such as where we live, where we go, how to handle the kids, etc.

Respect - opinions, ideas, ...

Also, don't EVER think it'll be easy.

20yrs tomorrow!

SJP said:

I have run across quite a few people who met on the internet. I don't understand it fully but many of them are reluctant to 'admit' that. So I don't bring it up - but have often wondered why the hesitancy their relationship is every bit as valid, who cares how it came to be. :dunno:

"Son, on the morning of your wedding let me give you some advice. Marriage is like battle. You need to dig a fox hole you can both find shelter in. Comfort each other. Watch each other's backs. Support each other. Fight together, always together. That's the secret of a long, happy marriage."
"Dad, is that really all there is to it?"
"Well, that and keep your damn pants zipped up when you aren't at home."

My mother told me right before my wedding (and I'm not making this up), "You will find you and Becca will fight about three things. Sex, money, and in-laws. If you have plenty of the first two, and very little of the last, you'll be married a long, long time."

How true.

Chip (25 years)

SJP said:
Steve
I witnessed a modem-marriage, pre-Internet, on the CompuServe CB radio forums, circa 1982. She was from Chicago. He was from New York. They moved to Chicago. He thought going to Wisconsin was exotic.

Back