Tim's Travels

timwinters

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
LTD
Tim's working again after a 5 year sabbatical (and damn it was great). I'll be working here and yonder, likely all over the Midwest, East and maybe (gasp) South.

Anyway, I love finding beauty, humor and irony on the road. This will be my thread to share those findings.

Last edited:
This is how a doctor in Cambridge, OH says, "hey, dumb@ss, let me explain it to you if you're that stupid."

IMG_20160531_174843847.jpg

Last edited:
One might think that Zanesville, OH is hell.

But one might be wrong.

Zanesville would apparently have you believe that they're a bit south of hell and that you'll need to take quite the circuitous route to get there. But, if it's a circuitous route then doesn't that indeed prove that Zanesville itself is the center of hell?

IMG_20160609_133728142.jpg

(Zanesville is NOT a very nice town. Cambrigde is far nicer...even Steubenville is nicer.)

I've landed at ZZV more than once. I know we went once on a training flight for a student, and I think I picked up some dogs there once or twice as well. I concur with your assessment of the town.

One might think that Zanesville, OH is hell.

But one might be wrong.

Zanesville would apparently have you believe that they're a bit south of hell and that you'll need to take quite the circuitous route to get there. But, if it's a circuitous route then doesn't that indeed prove that Zanesville itself is the center of hell?

View attachment 45816

(Zanesville is NOT a very nice town. Cambrigde is far nicer...even Steubenville is nicer.)
That highway marker makes it look like the whole state has the "Mark of the Beast". (Some of us from up in Michigan have long thought that was the case anyway! - ducks and runs...)

(Although, in the interest of full disclosure, my former place of employment had that number as a street address - we always got comments about it.)

There used to be a US 666 out west but it was changed to appease the superstitious idiots who complained about it.

And The Vastonehenge in Zanesville:

IMG_20160531_101251491.jpg

And I found one of the missing ones across town sitting in front of a Chinese restaurant.

:cool:

That highway marker makes it look like the whole state has the "Mark of the Beast". (Some of us from up in Michigan have long thought that was the case anyway! - ducks and runs...)

(Although, in the interest of full disclosure, my former place of employment had that number as a street address - we always got comments about it.)

Got that problem in Waterford too, courtesy of the phone company; (248) 666-XXXX.

The courthouse in Zanesville is indeed beautiful though:

I did I-70 through there twice this weekend. Didn't stop - Kept on going to Columbus westbound & Primanti's in Wheeling eastbound.

There used to be a US 666 out west but it was changed to appease the superstitious idiots who complained about it.

Highway 666 was changed to 491, but underneath the sign is another sign saying, Historical Hwy 666. The name is easy to understand, it was the sixth highway to cross Route 66. Highway 566, the 5th highway to cross Route 66 is still in place.

Highway 666 was changed to 491, but underneath the sign is another sign saying, Historical Hwy 666. The name is easy to understand, it was the sixth highway to cross Route 66. Highway 566, the 5th highway to cross Route 66 is still in place.

Are you trying to tell me that Lord Satan was not behind it after all? Say it ain't so!

Are you trying to tell me that Lord Satan was not behind it after all? Say it ain't so!

If you've been to Zanesville, you would understand that Satan was, in fact, behind the entire state of Ohio.

I've traveled a LOT in various careers during my adult life but especially over the last dozen years or so. My record year was 2010. I drove about 50,000 in various vehicles and put well over 200 hours on the 182.

During my tenure here, I've harrassed truck drivers mercilessly. They're a very large pain in my ass when traveling that much (especially in the eastern 1/3 of the U.S. where they are more prolific)

@flyingcheesehead would typically come to their defense and explain to me how little I knew about their life on the road and how difficult highway FLIBs make it on them.

I viewed truckers as highway hogging devils.

Kent always said they were great guys. Angels in fact.

Well, he was right, just like he has been in almost every other disagreement we've have. And Ohio proves it...truckers can't be the evil bastards that I make them out to be because they're not even allowed on the road to hell:
IMG_20160612_081659767_HDR[1].jpg

During my tenure here, I've harrassed truck drivers mercilessly. They're a very large pain in my ass when traveling that much (especially in the eastern 1/3 of the U.S. where they are more prolific)

@flyingcheesehead would typically come to their defense and explain to me how little I knew about their life on the road and how difficult highway FLIBs make it on them.

I viewed truckers as highway hogging devils.

Kent always said they were great guys. Angels in fact.

ROFL!!!

(BTW, there are plenty of ******* truck drivers - It's just not all of them.)

If there is a Hell, it's like Kansas in the summer.

Tell me about it. It just started raining 20 min ago and my car windows were rolled down. The driveway was so hot from the afternoon sun it was staying dry. And all that digging for Google and ATT fiber last fall did nothing but leave me with dried up sod over the holes they left.

But, coming from a guy who hasn't been back to Ohio since a year after he was born there, KS summers mercifully turn into KS winters...so we have that going for us.

Someone from Kansas has the gall to make that statement. If there is a Hell, it's like Kansas in the summer.

Actually, I'm "from" New York City (was born and raised there, served 20 years, never going back). That place is hell.

But after having also lived in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Kansas... ain't going back to Ohio.

If you've been to Zanesville, you would understand that Satan was, in fact, behind the entire state of Ohio.

Oh, now, Ted. It's not that bad. Would I live here? Prolly not. It's a depressed area and they're definitely struggling since all their jobs went overseas in the last 30 years or so. They haven't had the vision to re-invent themselves like other towns in the area (Pittsburgh) but the area does have some redeeming qualities:
  • Beautiful countryside. I love hills, I don't know think I could ever live in flatland.
  • Reasonably friendly people. In the month I've been up here I haven't had a bad experience with anyone in hospitality or retail yet.
  • Good work ethic. People here definitely know how to work. My projects are progressing well.
  • Reasonably clean. There's very little trash on the highway, restrooms at gas stations and restaurants are clean, etc.
  • The carts at WalMart are actually returned to the cart corrals and not left strewn all over the parking lot (a quick gauge I've used over the years to help determine an area's level of laziness and/or lack of respect for others & their property).
  • Gas stations have good windshield scrubbers/squeegees and soapy fluid to wash windshields. And right now you definitely need them because the cicadas are thick.
  • Gas stations actually keep their pumps supplied with receipt paper. I have yet to have to waste my time going inside to get a receipt. What a novel idea.
  • Generally speaking there is a lot of "pride of ownership" up here.
And maybe most importantly:
  • This week it's been about 20 degrees cooler than Kansas City!:cool:
There are areas I've worked in that don't have ANY of the above listed attributes (except that people are friendly...well...to your face anyway). THOSE areas are hell IMO.

Yuengling...

Been seeing the signs all over the place up here, "America's's oldest brewery." So I thought I'd try some. They sell it back home but it's not popular whatsoever.

It just reinforces my belief that all beer in green bottles sucks.

Attachments

• IMG_20160621_190123286.jpg
    IMG_20160621_190123286.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 29
I've actually never seen or heard of that brand. Where is "here"... are you still in Ohio? :confused:

I actually like Yuengling, but have never had it out of anything but a tap. Like most any beer, it tastes much different out of a bottle vs tap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuingling was popular in PA since it was a local beer there. Chicken and Waffles was also popular in PA.

I have it on good authority that you aren't missed overmuch.

Good. Wouldn't want y'all bawling your eyes out at my not being around.

Yuengling...

Been seeing the signs all over the place up here, "America's's oldest brewery." So I thought I'd try some. They sell it back home but it's not popular whatsoever.

Yuengling is decent, especially on tap. It bridges the gap between the truly terrible Budwater mass consumption brands and craft beers.

Yuengling...

:eek: Don't you dare say such a thing about Yeungling.

Blocked. :D

Back