Timer for IFR?

bflynn

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian Flynn
The airplane I’m training in doesn’t have a convenient timer. There are lots of inconvenient ones, none of which are in the scan range. Pa-28 with gtn650, G5, Garmin radio.

What would/do you use?

I kind of like this, but where to put it?

upload_2023-4-17_2-37-59.jpeg

Doesn't the gtn650 have a timer?

Sure. From the default nav screen, only 8 buttons to activate and return

the radio has a timer, but it goes to sleep after about 30 seconds. The transponder has a timer that doesn’t, mounted on the right side of the cockpit.

company security policies mandate locking my smart watch.

Last edited:
The airplane I’m training in doesn’t have a convenient timer. There are lots of inconvenient ones, none of which are in the scan range. Pa-28 with gtn650, G5, Garmin radio.

What would/do you use?

View attachment 116630
That's the exact one I put in the club archer while doing my IR. It's perfect. I used velcro and mounted it high and central above the radios. You want it close at hand and within your view without turning your head.

PRY THE MAGNETS OUT OF IT BEFORE YOU MOUNT IT! I didn't think they'd have an effect a foot away from the compass, but we eventually figured out why atc kept having to give us new headings....

What would/do you use?

View attachment 116630
I’m assuming that’s your plane in your avatar. It has a yoke. What do you have hanging on it now?

Sorry, old school.

61DD7eUu1mL._AC_SX679_.jpg

I rarely fly an approach that requires a timer these days, but if necessary, I use the one the built-in to my EFB (GarminPilot) as I'm looking at it anyways for the approach plate and it's right there at the top of the screen.

I’m a fan of a clock with a sweep second hand. I always forget to start a timer, but can figure out how long ago I should’ve started it based on my altitude and descent rate, and continue from there.

I’m assuming that’s your plane in your avatar. It has a yoke. What do you have hanging on it now?

The picture is the club plane I soloed in but it fell victim to someone stress testing the endurance. I'm flying multiple different club planes now, all Warrior IIs with the same avionics. There's nothing on the yoke, what's your suggestion?

The picture is the club plane I soloed in but it fell victim to someone stress testing the endurance. I'm flying multiple different club planes now, all Warrior IIs with the same avionics. There's nothing on the yoke, what's your suggestion?
I was gonna say Velcro it to the yoke. But the club might not like it. Maybe rubber bands.

Velcro/double sided tape to yoke/panel, glue a clothes pin/binder clip to the timer and clip it somewhere, platinum pocket watch chain, whatever works...

Sure. From the default nav screen, only 8 buttons to activate and return

the radio has a timer, but it goes to sleep after about 30 seconds. The transponder has a timer that doesn’t, mounted on the right side of the cockpit.

company security policies mandate locking my smart watch.
Buy a dumb watch :rofl:

Not as slick and cool as a smart watch but it's completely dummy proof and has a good (non blinding) backlight for night flying. And it stays firmly attached even in turbulence :). Got it for like 10$ at WalMart IIRC. It's been great for IFR training. As a backup I also have my wind-up timer built into the panel, the count-up timer built into the transponder, and the ForeFlight timer feature that will display on the screen when time is up. I'm never short on timers (or flashlights) in the cabin!

upload_2023-4-17_9-36-58.png

Anything wrong with using the clock? (you do have a clock in the plane, right?) Minute legs are easy, just wait for for the (mandatory) sweep second hand to come back around.

So...none of you use ForeFlight or use an ipad ? I used the timer in my ipad years before they incorporated one in ForeFlight. Use the split screen option and put the timer on separate page..slide it over when you need it.

ForeFlight has a timer built in to the app. It’s at the bottom of the More tab.

These timer questions are in addition to the required installed clock with sweep second hand? Some of which also have a timer function but not all.

These timer questions are in addition to the required installed clock with sweep second hand? Some of which also have a timer function but not all.

Slight nit - its sweep second hand or digital presentation.

So...none of you use ForeFlight or use an ipad ? I used the timer in my ipad years before they incorporated one in ForeFlight. Use the split screen option and put the timer on separate page..slide it over when you need it.

Yes - see post #7.

Slight nit - its sweep second hand or digital presentation.
I really like dedicated panel mounted [digital] timer.
Whether panel mounted via screws/embedded or panel mounted via velcro. No difference to me. I just like a dedicated [digital] timer in front of me that I can start and stop without having to enable it or switch screens.

Last edited:
I really like dedicated panel mounted timer.
Whether panel mounted via screws/embedded or panel mounted via velcro. No difference to me. I just like a dedicated timer in front of me that I can start and stop without having to enable it or switch screens.
Yup. Not a new technology either.
Panel Mounted Timer.jpg

there is no analog clock in the airplane. Replaced by many digital ones.

there is no analog clock in the airplane. Replaced by many digital ones.
I hope one of them is FAA-approved for IFR. There are many that one would reasonably think should be but are actually not.

Back