Time for a new stove...

Albany Tom

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Albany Tom
Background - The current stove works fine, but it's an all electric bargain model that came with the house. I have no misconceptions that the tool is limiting my capabilities. I'm just tired of it, and tired of cooking on electric. I grew up with gas, and have put up with electric for too long.

Mission - Two person household, once in a while entertaining up to total of 6. GF worked as a diner cook for a couple of years when she was in school, she can cook on anything. Neither of us bake often, just once in a while. No need to run a wok or anything unusual. Looking for something to last 5-10 years if we're lucky, it doesn't have to be forever. Looking for dual fuel - gas top, electric oven.

Constraints - Unless I redesign the kitchen, it has to be 30" wide and stand alone. I don't have the current stove enough to spend more than $5k replacing it, and that's on the high end. Pretty sure that the starting numbers for this are in the 2.5k range. Oh, and it has to run on LP as there's no natural gas and I'm not going to move the house. Really not interested in induction.

With all the cooking/food posts, and the tech mind set of everyone, I figured this would be a good spot to get candid/blunt feedback.

So far I'm leaning toward a Kitchen Aid dual oven, but not sure about either the size of the dual oven, or the reliability of a kitchen aid.

Does anyone have a dual oven and how has that worked out? Is there a brand or model out there that someone loves or hates?

I thought there was a law against gas stoves in New York?
NYC possibly now. NYS future new construction in a few years, I believe, or at least heating. I used to get the things in the mail about switching to green energy, and they'd hang up when I'd call back and ask how much to get my electricity from all nuclear. But that won't work for a stove for a variety of reasons.

The big problem I see if finding electric stove with a LP cooktop. LP isn't unheard of, but usually when people have it, it's because they're out away from utilities and "off grid"...so they make the stove LP as well.

Quick check at Lowes confirms that. You might find it out there somewhere, but I'm not seeing it.

Any possibility of splitting the range and cooktop? If you can, it would open up wall mount electric ovens and gas cooktop options.

I've often though that if ever presented the opportunity, I would love to put in a griddle instead of a stove or range top....like they use at those tepnayaki restaurants....

and yeah, I like the idea of double oven, as long as one is big enough for something like a ham or turkey

Not sure why your are nixing induction. I was in the same boat as you, detest electric, hatred glass electric cooktop, loved gas. Got overruled by the one that cleans up my cooking messes and we got induction. It is better than gas - period. Cooks more evenly (not perfect), 20 steps of control, faster, hotter and cleans up easier than all the alternatives.

Agree on splitting between a cooktop and wall oven. Each device can do what it does best without being compromised by the other.

You're unlikely to find a range combining gas cooktop and electric range functionality; but, if you're OK with splitting functions, you could easily have an electric wall oven below-counter, and a gas cooktop on top, as long as you can manage the venting from the oven through the wall. You'd have to have some millwork done, but that should hardly be a hill to climb. Plenty of gas cooktops available (now), and most all include LP conversion kit.

Thor

You're unlikely to find a range combining gas cooktop and electric range functionality
I beg to differ... so-called "dual fuel" ranges are quite common.

We recently replaced our POS electric range with one with a gas cooktop and electric oven. Purchased at Home Depot, but had to order the NG to LP conversion kit (just a handful of orifices, easy to convert) direct from the manufacturer. It's a Cosmo, "commercial style", similar to but less expensive than the higher end ones like Thor or Viking, we like it. Ours is 36" but 30" is available as well. Simple knob controls (I have steam gauges in my plane as well).

We wanted a single large oven instead of smaller dual ovens, so we opted for a second standalone oven (essentially a giant toaster oven) that we use for probably 80% of oven tasks.

Background - The current stove works fine, but it's an all electric bargain model that came with the house. I have no misconceptions that the tool is limiting my capabilities. I'm just tired of it, and tired of cooking on electric. I grew up with gas, and have put up with electric for too long.

Mission - Two person household, once in a while entertaining up to total of 6. GF worked as a diner cook for a couple of years when she was in school, she can cook on anything. Neither of us bake often, just once in a while. No need to run a wok or anything unusual. Looking for something to last 5-10 years if we're lucky, it doesn't have to be forever. Looking for dual fuel - gas top, electric oven.

Constraints - Unless I redesign the kitchen, it has to be 30" wide and stand alone. I don't have the current stove enough to spend more than $5k replacing it, and that's on the high end. Pretty sure that the starting numbers for this are in the 2.5k range. Oh, and it has to run on LP as there's no natural gas and I'm not going to move the house. Really not interested in induction.

With all the cooking/food posts, and the tech mind set of everyone, I figured this would be a good spot to get candid/blunt feedback.

So far I'm leaning toward a Kitchen Aid dual oven, but not sure about either the size of the dual oven, or the reliability of a kitchen aid.

Does anyone have a dual oven and how has that worked out? Is there a brand or model out there that someone loves or hates?
How about LP burners and oven but with electric broiler. GE makes them. I have two of them. 800 bucks. 5000-800=4200=about 700 gallons, give or take, of avgas.

Last edited:
The big problem I see if finding electric stove with a LP cooktop. LP isn't unheard of, but usually when people have it, it's because they're out away from utilities and "off grid"...so they make the stove LP as well.

Quick check at Lowes confirms that. You might find it out there somewhere, but I'm not seeing it.
Yeah, 30 inch dual fuels are hard to find. Best we could find a few years ago was the one with electric broiler.

EDIT: Disregard, I was thinking about 24 inchers.

Last edited:
Not sure why your are nixing induction. I was in the same boat as you, detest electric, hatred glass electric cooktop, loved gas. ...
Induction is electric.

I'm watching this thread carefully, as I am also looking to replace my electric stove/oven with gas before Washington state or congress bans them. Also 30" standalone. I do cook and bake a lot, so I'm thinking gas top and electric oven, though I know nothing about gas ovens. I want dual-fuel too, at least something with an LP kit I can install if we have a gas disruption. This is earthquake country and we are overdue for a big one. My first task is to have gas runs installed from the gas furnace up to the kitchen.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.

I’ve had a few Vikings and all were troubled. The new house has a Z-Line and we’re loving it. Ours is dual fuel (LP gas cooktop with electric ovens) in the 60” size but they make smaller ones. Professional grade stainless ranges for a lot less than Viking and they work better, too!

Induction is electric.
True, but how it's powered is the only thing in common. Induction both heats and cools as rapidly as gas. I was a gas only guy, moved to a condo with no gas option. Got an induction cooktop and I'm a convert. It really is no different from gas in cooking. Only downside (for me) was the need to get new pots and pans. They need to be magnetic for it to work. Had a lot of Calphalon aluminum stuff that ended up going to my kids.

I'm thinking gas top and electric oven, though I know nothing about gas ovens. I want dual-fuel too, at least something with an LP kit I can install if we have a gas disruption.
"Dual fuel" usually means gas cooktop and electric oven, not switching from NG to LP. NG to LP is not something you'd just switch out when necessary, as not only does the stove have to be converted (fairly simple) but the regulators are different pressures, etc.

We're not off grid, but the power here is unreliable, goes out quite frequently after a big storm. Our stove is gas and so is our heat, and neither require electricity to operate (other than the oven; I can forego cooking a roast or baking a cake during a power failure).

Why not switch to wood and have an outside kitchen.?? :lol:

Looks like my rural neighborhood may be getting natural gas next spring or summer. How difficult is it to change my central heat, water heater and stove from propane to natural gas?

I know what is next for my area, the city will try to annex then raise property taxes by a minimum of 50% without adding any ammenities. Already getting ahead of that stupid game.

Have you priced out the cost to get a propane tank and line installed? I want to get rid of our glass top stove and go to a fuel fuel setup but it’s going to be close to 2k just to run the propane. I totally detest glass top stoves as every one I have had ends up a scratched mess over time no matter how careful you try to be. Heat control sucks as well as the burner is always full on or full off with the temp knob only changing the cycle time. Give me back the old stoves with the exposed electric burners.

Gas ranges that I’ve bought all came with the LP orifice in the box. Switching it is simple. We’re on propane and the only thing we had to do after the orifice swap was adjust the low flame setting on each burner. A 4 year old can do it.

How difficult is it to change my central heat, water heater and stove from propane to natural gas?
It depends on the appliance. Some require an orifice change (which may or may not have been provided), some just a screw adjustment. Sometimes there's a regulator adjustment or part swap. And some don't offer the conversion parts at all, just a different model from the factory.

Then the propane regulators need to be removed from the lines before hooking up to NG, and drip legs may need to be installed.

It depends on the appliance. Some require an orifice change (which may or may not have been provided), some just a screw adjustment. Sometimes there's a regulator adjustment or part swap. And some don't offer the conversion parts at all, just a different model from the factory.

Then the propane regulators need to be removed from the lines before hooking up to NG, and drip legs may need to be installed.

Wow... thanks.

Maybe I'll buy a new house instead... :lol:

Actually it doesn't sound too bad. When I first moved in I did have the heater adjusted for altitude.

Thanks everybody! I'm reading through all of this, very helpful.

I did talk with my local fuel company. I've used them for years for oil heat. I didn't get an estimate for the install, but it should be simple enough, we picked a rough location for the tank. Unlike some places they don't rent the tanks, you just pay for the fuel.

The separate second oven is a good idea. I have a friend that has a LG dual fuel and loves it, but I couldn't find one of those in 30" that's standalone. The kitchen layout has the stove at the end of the counter by the walkway to another room, so slide in won't work. Most of the ones I've looked at have a kit with different nozzles to switch. From what the fuel guy said, the appliance install people around here won't touch gas, but the fuel people will convert the stove and set it up as part of the install. So I think I'm set there. For power outage, the models I've looked can be lit via match if necessary.

One thing that's weird is that some stoves list a lower BTU rating for propane than natural gas. That seems odd. Others have the same rating.

Back